FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (76 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That's the thing. If you often expect to win and yet you mostly lose you become really good at making these excuses. It's the only way to reconcile the conviction that "we deserve to win" with the fact that we never do. Moreno might have been a awful ref, even corrupt. But it was Maldini who lost that header, it was Vieri who couldn't score and it was Totti who got sent off purely by reputation for diving.
Martin, you're starting to piss me off. Italy FREAKING SCORED THE WINNER in that game.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Martin, in all seriousness 2002 was a travesty. It was the biggest scandal of a World Cup people have ever seen. It was atrocious. Italy were denied five legal goals. That's half of their entire goal talley. Saying that they were sore losers is retarded.

And it wasn't just Italy. It was Spain too. And Belgium too. And the US too.
Sure, I agree 2002 was horrible on refereeing standards. But the difference is Italy fans *always* make these excuses, whereas Spain and Belgium and the US don't.

Euro 2004 anyone?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I don't predict that they'd win the World Cup either actually. But for the past 3 years, they have been the best team, at least in Europe. No denying that. You can predict that they will choke in the WC(and i'll agree with you), but that doesn't change the fact that they are currently right now, the best in Europe.

This is like, someone coming and predicting that Real will win the Liga next year and Barca will choke and win nothing. It might be a valid prediction, but does it change the fact that Barca is the best team in Europe right now?
You said Europe?
He said the world.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Martin, you're starting to piss me off. Italy FREAKING SCORED THE WINNER in that game.

Seven, that's just the way it is though.

No amount of complaining, claiming a conspiracy theory, or revisionist history is going to change that.

If you really are the better team that day, then you overcome whatever these alleged obstacles are.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Sure, I agree 2002 was horrible on refereeing standards. But the difference is Italy fans *always* make these excuses, whereas Spain and Belgium and the US don't.

Euro 2004 anyone?
Spain usually do too. And in all fairness 2004 was, at the very least, highly suspicious. Combine that with the several racist banners inside the stadium and I can see where the Italian anger came from. Try Euro 2000, where Del Piero had to take the fall. Other Italians fucked up too, but they decided to get ONE scapegoat.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Seven, that's just the way it is though.

No amount of complaining, claiming a conspiracy theory, or revisionist history is going to change that.

If you really are the better team that day, then you overcome whatever these alleged obstacles are.
No, you don't. If your goals get cancelled, you don't.

Barcelona played Real under the Franco regime once. Every time they scored it was cancelled and Real was given several penalties. It didn't matter how good Barcelona might have been. They would have lost.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Spain usually do too. And in all fairness 2004 was, at the very least, highly suspicious. Combine that with the several racist banners inside the stadium and I can see where the Italian anger came from. Try Euro 2000, where Del Piero had to take the fall. Other Italians fucked up too, but they decided to get ONE scapegoat.
All I'm saying is I've been following Italy for like a decade now and I'm so used to the excuses the fans make.

Even on 2002 I totally agree with Sergio. It's freaking Korea, not Brazil. If you're good enough, you overcome it. In the end it wasn't Korea that was gifted the victories over Italy and Spain. It was Italy who couldn't defend against Ahn and it was Spain who lost the penalty shootout. Whatever else irregularity you want to argue, those failures are facts.

Now take Belgium - Brazil and that's a different story. Belgium cannot reasonably be expected to beat Brazil, therefore they were done a much greater injustice.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
All I'm saying is I've been following Italy for like a decade now and I'm so used to the excuses the fans make.

Even on 2002 I totally agree with Sergio. It's freaking Korea, not Brazil. If you're good enough, you overcome it. In the end it wasn't Korea that was gifted the victories over Italy and Spain. It was Italy who couldn't defend against Ahn and it was Spain who lost the penalty shootout. Whatever else irregularity you want to argue, those failures are facts.
Both Italy and Spain WON against Korea, Martin. If they cancel your win, there's nothing left to do. Spain even scored TWO winners FFS. 2002 is utterly ridiculous and I'm surprised that a rational person like yourself can come up with this. The game is won by scoring goals. If they take away that possibility, you can't win a game.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Both Italy and Spain WON against Korea, Martin. If they cancel your win, there's nothing left to do. Spain even scored TWO winners FFS.
Goals are wrongfully canceled all the time. Or wrongfully given. But Spain lost the penalty shootout, right? And that one wasn't messed with was it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Goals are wrongfully canceled all the time. Or wrongfully given. But Spain lost the penalty shootout, right? And that one wasn't messed with was it.
Actually it was. But few people noticed. If you care enough to look up the images, look at the Korean goalie. He was way off his line. But WAY OFF. Then look at Casillas trying to do the same.

Really, Martin, I will even agree with you on 2004 (Italy lost it themselves even if the game was fixed), but 2002, no, I won't go there. Both Italy and Spain beat Korea.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Seven, what is the point of complaining about it? It doesn't change anything. Do you think the USA in 1994 simply got to the knockout stages based on their ability alone??

No, they didn't. Its called home cooking, and shit happens.

Even my father, who is as die hard of an old school Italian as you can get, realized that Italy should have never put themselves in that position in 2002 in the first place. It took him 2 weeks, but he came around eventually.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Seven, what is the point of complaining about it? It doesn't change anything. Do you think the USA in 1994 simply got to the knockout stages based on their ability alone??

No, they didn't. Its called home cooking, and shit happens.

Even my father, who is as die hard of an old school Italian as you can get, realized that Italy should have never put themselves in that position in 2002 in the first place. It took him 2 weeks, but he came around eventually.
I'm not complaining about it. But people calling Italians sore losers is rich. First you take away all their goals, you take away all their chances of winning and then you say they are sore losers. And what position? They were in that position because of the referee in the first place!

And yes, it happens in every tournament, but not like that. What happened in Japan/Korea was disgraceful.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Actually it was. But few people noticed. If you care enough to look up the images, look at the Korean goalie. He was way off his line. But WAY OFF. Then look at Casillas trying to do the same.

Really, Martin, I will even agree with you on 2004 (Italy lost it themselves even if the game was fixed), but 2002, no, I won't go there. Both Italy and Spain beat Korea.
Okay, we can settle on that.

Personally the events of the Spain match were the most preposterous I've ever seen. Do you remember Korea fans trying to argue how Joaquin's (I think it was him) cross mysteriously crossed the end line by drawing an imaginary arc that was impossible? Jeez.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Congratulation to Andy and other Americans. No congratulation to wannabe Americans who like eating at McDonalds and think that is enough to want USA to beat Spain.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Okay, we can settle on that.

Personally the events of the Spain match were the most preposterous I've ever seen. Do you remember Korea fans trying to argue how Joaquin's (I think it was him) cross mysteriously crossed the end line by drawing an imaginary arc that was impossible? Jeez.
I was very angry when Italy went out, but I only got truly enraged after Spain were eliminated. I can still remember all the various camera angles on Joaquin's cross. And Hierro telling the press after the game that he hoped it was mere incompetence was sad as well.

But I do agree with you about the Italian mentality. I only believe that 2002 isn't the best example out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 76)