FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (2 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Good points. But i believe that they are valid alternatives, both tactical and personnel related. The NT was overconfident, judging by their general appearance and Buffon's comments. They really needed that reality check!

The trust in the old ways and players has been shattered and Lippi will now try to find watch wrong and fix it!

For many years i ve been pointing out, the pitiful material the Italian NT has on defenders.
They used to have the best defenders in the world and they now have some weaklings. It seems that they had not realized that just yet.
I believe now, they do!! They should try other player and maybe some extra support from the midfield.
They cannot go forward as before, hoping that the defense will just hold by its own.
The attack will pick herself soon, as it becomes apparent that the best choices are Rossi, Cassano and eventually Amauri.
I believe that there is room for improvement if the escape from pre-conceptions and i ve always admired Lippi, because he was able to do that!
No one will oppose changes now, on the contrary, they will demand them!

The defensive coverage was absent, the midfield was overrun and bullied easily.
And that made them even more nervous and inefficient. If there is one place, where Italy has an abundance of quality and talent, thats the midfield, i am confident that it can be fixed! But they need to calibrate and support the defense and work in the efficiency of the attack!
I hope you are right for their sake cos I do not see any abundance of midfield talent in Italy at all.

I see a lot of useful players but not one that can take over Pirlo's mantle. DDR seems to be going backwards and the situation at Roma cannot be helping his development.

Montilivio has shown he cannot step up to the plate when called upon and I do not see him improving drastically to heed the call.

If you compare the players that cannot get into Spain side and those that start for Italy, its like night and day.

They certainly need fewer 30 year olds in the squad right now and seriously why does a manager as experienced as Lippi not see that Gilardino is not international class?

I understand Iaquinta a bit because of his style of play he can be useful on the wings without being any threat to the opposition goal but Gilardino offers precious little to the side whilst Toni has suddenly become an enigma.

Its time they forget about the heroics of 2006 and remember the failures of 2008 and this competition as that is whats needed to inspire them out of their smugness.

Whether they can find the quality from somewhere is another question altogether.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
At least on the positives is that this tournie was useful to have a more clear idea on which players need the boot and which definitely need to be called back to the NT. IMO the first one to go home should be Toni. Nothing against him and he has some goal scoring abilities... but in the NT Toni just dont perform and more chances cannot be given so easily. Thats just an example... but there are a lot of dubvious players like him in the NT.

If Lippi is an intelligent coach, he will definitely take some notes of what happened here and start calling the likes of cassano and DiVaio. At least this tournie was useful to realize a lot of things from this team.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
The defensive coverage was absent, the midfield was overrun and bullied easily.
And that made them even more nervous and inefficient. If there is one place, where Italy has an abundance of quality and talent, thats the midfield, i am confident that it can be fixed! But they need to calibrate and support the defense and work in the efficiency of the attack!
it can be fixed but not with this man selection...just take a peek at pirlo-gatusso-de rossi-camo (and montolivo). The first one still has the spark but he always seems tired and alone on the midfield...the second one had a serious injury and didn't seem to fully recover from it (but he was called for the NT), the third one-#10- can make impact with smaller NT's but with the big boys cannot play well (=choker imo..). Now camo has gattuso's status...injured a lot, he is in an off-form..needs some time, but he didn't deserved to start this game.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
certainly Lippi has proved himself to the extent that he deserves leeway, but I would imagine that the backlash against Donadoni would have been pretty strong. then again, maybe he would have done better....

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Some guys on this board are merely internet fans. That's pretty clear looking at the last few pages. I see no wrong in that, but it's the way it is. It could've been Man U, Liverpool or even Inter. It happend to be Juve and here they are.

Mar 30, 2006
Italy playing as bad as they did imo is the best thing that could have happened for Italy in regard to the next WC. if they managed to get knocked out respectably they would not have realized the teams fundamental problems.

I think now though it is obvious change is needed.

I was not surprised by the USA beating Egypt .. I was pretty sure Egypt would not fear the US as much and the USA, with something to prove, were going to whoop them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)