FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (67 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2006
How can there be no doubt?

You are just speculating, so there is inevitably some doubt.

If there was no doubt about these things in football, everyone would pick the same starting players.
True I should have said IMHO hahah

But Cassano would have to drop some way to play Like Quag did and RIno could not make a forward pass if his life depended on it today.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
but are you expecting any current 23 year olds (from any nation) to compare to the likes of maldini etc
No, i'm simply comparing these young players with the likes of Nesta, Del Piero, Totti etc when they were the same age (21-25).

Ale was Juve's leader when we were winning the cl, winning scudetti, playing cl finals, and he was only 22-24. Nesta and Totti were Italy's main players at the 2000 EURO and they were 23-24 back then. Not to mention Maldini. He was winning CLs and was considered one of the best 3 defenders in the world when he was only 21-22. Pirlo was 24 when he won the CL with Milan, Gattuso was 25. Then Buffon too.

I wanna say that those guys who won the WC, most of them, were proven world class players who were winning the biggest trophies in football when they were the same age as Montolivo, Motta, Aquillani, Marchisio, Bocchetti, Cigarini, Criscito and De Ceglie.

What have these current youngsters achieved so far?

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Drop it, as much as I like Marchisio, he isn't yet ready for the senior team starting spot. My hope he will be included to the WC squad, and if he performs well enough maybe eve a starting spot to try out. But now, he isn't ready in my opinion.
My opinion is that as soon as the U-21 ends, Marchisio will be called up to the Azzurri. Lippi says that he's already got some players who he'll be adding after the tournament - if not Marchisio, then who? I'd bet a shit load of money on that.

In a year, if he's starting for Juventus - which is definitely possible, he's got a solid chance to start for Italy. If you watched the game today, you certainly saw an Italian midfield that was very slow, and played very poorly.

Mar 30, 2006
No, i'm simply comparing these young players with the likes of Nesta, Del Piero, Totti etc when they were the same age (21-25).

Ale was Juve's leader when we were winning the cl, winning scudetti, playing cl finals, and he was only 22-24. Nesta and Totti were Italy's main players at the 2000 EURO and they were 23-24 back then. Not to mention Maldini. He was winning CLs and was considered one of the best 3 defenders in the world when he was only 21-22. Pirlo was 24 when he won the CL with Milan, Gattuso was 25. Then Buffon too.

I wanna say that those guys who won the WC, most of them, were proven world class players who were winning the biggest trophies in football when they were the same age as Montolivo, Aquillani, Marchisio, Bocchetti, Cigarini, Criscito and De Ceglie.

What have these current youngsters achieved so far?
True but non of those players are expected to be "Stars" at the next WC. I am optimistic about Marchisio for example making the squad but not really having a staring role yet.

If young players will star for Italy they will be players like Rossi, De Rossi (sorta young), Chiellni .. maybe Cassano .. they are all big names for their age and play at the highest levels.

I dont think people need to be so pessimistic after losing 1-0 to an egypt team that could have been beaten easily on another day if the finishing was better. I think as a non Italian who is more objective the future for Italy looks far less bleak than for those who are more hurt by this defeat.

Plus this is only the confederations cup .. which means nothing. It is much better to play poor now and highlight the issues so they can be taken care of.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
HAHA EGYPT PWN ITALY HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
We were lucky yes but we surely deserved at least 3 or 4 points from our matches with brazil and the azzuri

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
To everyone who is mentioning Cassano: do you think Lippi is going to be sacked before the WC or something?
:lol:

You're right, it's a stretch. Still, Lippi always says 18-40... so anything is possible. Antonio was very well behaved this year...

In my post at least, I also picked the players that I would like to see in 2010...

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Rollie, no i didn't watch, but i certainly believe that there were nothing impressive about current midfield. And do hope you are right about Marchisio :)

Mar 30, 2006
Oh yeah, if Lippi plays Quag on the wing, you're screwed.
That move will go down as a fail. The best left sided striker in the trident is Di Natale. He will be fit soon enough. But I think Cassano can add even mroe to the team. I think it would make sense to have both Cassano and Di natale in that position.. with Rossi and Quag (i guess?) as Right forward options.

Mar 30, 2006
There's a better chance of Totti being in Italy's World Cup squad than of Cassano being there.
wow u think? I think Totti pissed off lippi by bailing on the team. At least Cassano wants to play.

But Italy needs at least one of them I think cuz they depend too much on Pirlo for the build up play but he cant do the deep lying playmaking and the playmaking in the final third.

Hence the Cassano need.

Rino is great for his hard work when fit .. but he is a liability when he can't offer the same high levels of workrate and tenacity. Marchisio would offer similar work rate but with more quality in passing ..
Even if he does not get called I think if RIno is not fully fit and in form then Monolivio/D'Ago should be certain starters .. at least that can take pressure of Pirlo.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I think there is very little chance that Totti will return to play for Italy.
Especially considering it doesn't seem to bother him at all that he's not in the team. And it seems a bit desperate to reach for someone who quit, doesn't it?

I wonder if Bobo would take the call. He's the last good striker Italy had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 67)