FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (30 Viewers)

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
:howler:

Obviously you weren't watching the first half,Italy was completely frustrated by the Americans & they definitely had some nice passes going around & allround great team work.First half Italy failed completely,second half was inevitable.The American team grew tired & Lippi brought on an extra striker & am which ultimately provided the killer blow.
The Italian possession was pretty aimless until the second half. Jack would have been disgusted and mistaken the match for a La Liga game. They would hold the ball, our defense would win it, pass to the midfield and they would counter with deep through balls to the forwards.
I never said Italy played well, but that they were not outplayed. Italy's passing and off the ball movement was superior relative to how the Americans play football, but that doesn't say much.

Their midfield longballed in space for their forwards to run onto, whereas Pirlo would longball onto the head of Iaquinta or Gila, or the foot of an attacking fullback.

The Americans chances came off uncharacteristic Italy give aways (fucking Pirlo needs to stop dallying). If Italy were being outplayed, the Americans would have been able to create more chances but that wasn't the case. Only when Italy fucked up did they threaten.

I'm not saying Italy played great, but to claim the Americans bossed the game is non-sense. Even with 11 men, you could tell they were an American team the way they were playing football. Nothing controlling about it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
As for the match, the red was harsh, but it was definitely a dangerous tackle. The pk was non-sense, but it was obviously to make up for the red card. Altidore is a big dude, so for him to flop like he did is obviously theatrics.
Are you an Italian citizen?

Sorry-assed fans.

Clear penalty, clear retard.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
I never said Italy played well, but that they were not outplayed. Italy's passing and off the ball movement was superior relative to how the Americans play, but that doesn't say much.

Their midfield longballed in space for their forwards to run onto, whereas Pirlo would longball onto the head of Iaquinta or Gila, or the foot of an attacking fullback.

The Americans chances came off uncharacteristic Italy give aways (fucking Pirlo needs to stop dallying). If Italy were being outplayed, the Americans would have been able to create those chances without poor giveaways.

I'm not saying Italy played great, but to claim the Americans bossed the game is non-sense. Even with 11 men, you could tell they were an American team they were playing football. Nothing controlling about it.
I take it your an Azzurri fan?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
If Italy suck... what is CANADA!! :cry:
This is what's great on these forums.

If a club isn't in the last 8 of the CL, it sucks.

If a country isn't one of the best 5 or so in the world, it sucks.

No consideration given to the wider world and if you do look at things further down the food chain, you are accused of having a 'loser mentality'.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Andy,

So, to be a legitimate Azzurri supporter, all I need is some paperwork that says I'm an Italian citizen?

What's the big problem with supporting a national football team? It's a FOOTBALL TEAM. I'm not supporting Italy in World War III, FFS. Yes, I support Italy, and I support T&T too. If they play against each other, I would prefer T&T to win (because you would ask that). Does that make me a "bad supporter?" Oh well.

Tbh, I'm not that passionate about NT team football anyway. The passion for these teams is nothing to my Juve passion. But Italy were the first team I saw play football. Yes, even before my own country and they were the reason I started to like football. And I don't see how that would be glory hunting, as pre-2006, Italy hasn't been that successful of recent. I would've been better off choosing Brazil, especially as Ronaldo was the only player I knew.

But what the hell is the difference between supporting a non-local club and a foreign national team? Were you glory hunting too? Why didn't you support Albinoleffe instead? You say there were no local league teams at the time you started following football. Well couldn't you have found one since? Were there no amateur teams? And did you have to find a team to support, couldn't you have been neutral like you are when you watch the Euros?

Mar 30, 2006

No consideration given to the wider world and if you do look at things further down the food chain, you are accused of having a 'loser mentality'.
Good insight.

Canada does suck and we would be so greatful to just qualify for a WC... Italy though, are a great team who are not in the best form and is in need of some refreshing.

People also forget how things in football can so quickly turn on its head. Like I remember a few years back Spain was a total bust, qualifying to tournaments in the knockouts and getting draws with Iceland in qualifying. Now look at them.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

You have to agree that for a team that are world champions they do suck. And certain teams have to meet certain expectations, lets say Brazil would play like 15 team in the world, would they suck? That is not a bad achievement, but for Brazil, considering their history, the talent they posses, they would suck.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Andy,

So, to be a legitimate Azzurri supporter, all I need is some paperwork that says I'm an Italian citizen?

What's the big problem with supporting a national football team? It's a FOOTBALL TEAM. I'm not supporting Italy in World War III, FFS. Yes, I support Italy, and I support T&T too. If they play against each other, I would prefer T&T to win (because you would ask that). Does that make me a "bad supporter?" Oh well.

Tbh, I'm not that passionate about NT team football anyway. The passion for these teams is nothing to my Juve passion. But Italy were the first team I saw play football. Yes, even before my own country and they were the reason I started to like football. And I don't see how that would be glory hunting, as pre-2006, Italy hasn't been that successful of recent. I would've been better off choosing Brazil, especially as Ronaldo was the only player I knew.

But what the hell is the difference between supporting a non-local club and a foreign national team? Were you glory hunting too? Why didn't you support Albinoleffe instead? You say there were no local league teams at the time you started following football. Well couldn't you have found one since? Were there no amateur teams? And did you have to find a team to support, couldn't you have been neutral like you are when you watch the Euros?
Can't you just support T&T? Do you HAVE to have another team to support? Why don't you support Spain or some other big nation while you're at it, just in case Italy bows out?

I just can't respect this, I'm sorry. It's what we call a cop-out here. And considering you'd take T&T over the Azzurri if they play each other, that means your support for one team falls through, which doesn't make you a real fan, IMO. So you're not.

You can support whomever you want, though. Just don't think people have to respect you for it. In fact, people shouldn't respect it, because you let one team down for the sake of another -- a country you've never been a part of.

And don't bring club football into this as it makes you look extremely ridiculous. Club football and national football are entirely two different things. Players don't need citizenship to play for a club team.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Citizenship is just a formality imo and says nothing about the player's identity. It's comparable to getting a work permit to play for a club. How the hell can Amauri or Camoranesi be Italian when they move Italy in their twenties and haven't been there for even 10 years? What because they're grandmas wre Italian? How far back can that go? Because I might have a claim to play for half of Europe.

You can support whomever you want, though. Just don't think people have to respect you for it. In fact, people shouldn't respect it, because you let one team down for the sake of another -- a country you've never been a part of.
... Amauri and Camoranesi? Just like Rossi?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You have to agree that for a team that are world champions they do suck. And certain teams have to meet certain expectations, lets say Brazil would play like 15 team in the world, would they suck? No, that is not a bad achievement, but for a Brazil, considering their history, the talent they posses, they would suck.
People, in that case, should say 'this is a poor Italy team', not 'Italy is a poor team'.

Anyway, Italy are going through a transitional period where they are trying to figure out how to replace some aging stars and they aren't doing it particularly well.

With Lippi in charge, they will still be a force to be reckoned with at the World Cup.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Good insight.

Canada does suck and we would be so greatful to just qualify for a WC... Italy though, are a great team who are not in the best form and is in need of some refreshing.

People also forget how things in football can so quickly turn on its head. Like I remember a few years back Spain was a total bust, qualifying to tournaments in the knockouts and getting draws with Iceland in qualifying. Now look at them.
The talent in Canada is there, however the majority never go on to become pro's. They make the smart decision and go to uni or find a job once they turn 18 due to the soccer infrastructure in Canada being shit. The ones who go on to play for 2nd and 3rd division teams in Europe or in the MLS arent the best we have to offer.

It's gonna be like this for a long time too. Despite more youths enrolled in soccer than any other sport in Canada (including hockey), the media and government still treats soccer like a second class sport.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Citizenship is just a formality imo and says nothing about the player's identity. It's comparable to getting a work permit to play for a club. How the hell can Amauri or Camoranesi be Italian when they move Italy in their twenties and haven't been there for even 10 years? What because they're grandmas wre Italian? How far back can that go? Because I might have a claim to play for half of Europe.
Don't know what to make of that. If you think club football is the same as national football, then no wonder why you support the Azzurri.

... Amauri and Camoranesi? Just like Rossi?
They can play for whomever they want as long as they have citizenship. It's up to the fans to decide what they think of them.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Don't know what to make of that. If you think club football is the same as national football, then no wonder why you support the Azzurri.

They can play for whomever they want as long as they have citizenship. It's up to the fans to decide what they think of them.
Ok cool. I they think they're not Italian and Birchall is not a Trini. But it doesn't bother me too much. I just see it as the stuff of mercenaries because I can't imagine them having much pride in Italy or T&T respectively.

Club football and NT football shouldn't be the same. But when I can go to Togo and apply for a citizenship, and all of a sudden I'm Togolese then there isn't much difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)