FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (39 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
If Clarke was sent off then Chiellini should have gone too, if the ref was being consistent. Which he was, in favor of Italy.

The worst thing is that there was a much hard tackle on Pirlo later in the game that didn't even get a card or the De Rossi on Dempsey fouls in the middles of the pitch (they were given as advantage) which could have and should have been cards.
I said the red was harsh.

To be honest, I doubt the penalty would even have been given had Clarke not been sent off.

The challenge on Pirlo was clearly a booking.

I don't really care about statistics, I care about correct calls, and that WAS a penalty by Legrottaglie.

If they would have given us a penalty for that, which they should have, it would have been a more fairly called game. But no, it was a joke officiated game.
It's just the way things are. It always have to be an absolute stone wall penalty before a team gets two penalties in one game.

Overall, the officiating was poor and it certainly favoured Italy.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Poll the nationalities of posters on this board and you'll find about 2% are Italian, actually living in Italy. 15% of Italian decent and the rest a smattering of nationalities.
Personally I don't care but I'm shocked that such a loyal and trustworthy person like LetsBrushYourTeeth would not support a team in his own country!

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Rossi has always showed that the national team has always been his number one priority.

For Ale and Totti, it's different. Del piero plays his heart out when he plays for Juve, and Totti does the same when he plays for Roma. The two always seem to offer much less when they play for Italy. It may be lack of motivation or desire, that's all I'm suggesting.

Rossi just seems to have that passion for the Azzuri that Del piero and Totti have forever been lacking.
WHATAFUCK ARE YOU ON ABOUT?????

Jul 10, 2006
Didn't see the game. So I'm hoping for a balanced, unbiased view of the game. What are the chances I wonder?
The US played a good first half, Italy was terrible until they brought on Rossi and took off Gattuso in the second half, by then the US was down a man and looked gassed. Rossi put the sword to them.

The US shouldn't feel too bad about it and didn't deserve the 3-1 scoreline, imo.

Sep 14, 2003
The US played a good first half, Italy was terrible until they brought on Rossi and took off Gattuso in the second half, by then the US was down a man and looked gassed. Rossi put the sword to them.

The US shouldn't feel too bad about it and didn't deserve the 3-1 scoreline, imo.
Thanks.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Rossi is nowhere near anyone of them, of course. But from the few games I've seen for Rossi with the Azzuri, and the numerous games I've seen Ale and Totti with the Azzuri, it just seems to me that Rossi plays with a lot more heart for the Azzuri. Obviously, it's because he's a young player and he hasn't achieved any success on the club level unlike Ale and Totti, but that's exactly why I'm insinuating that Rossi, with him still playing outside of Italy and having a lot to prove to his country, will probably reached greater heights with Azzuri.

I'm not undervaluing Del piero or Totti as players at all. I'm simply stating that given the circumstances, I believe Rossi certainly seems like offering more to the Azzuri than Ale or Totti.
I don't think that Rossi has more passion than Ale. Del Piero always commited to the national team. In my opinion he wasn't that successful with Azzurri because he wasn't the main man there, he was used tactically different, he had different duties than in Juve.

Btw, its Azzurri :p

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Didn't see the game. So I'm hoping for a balanced, unbiased view of the game. What are the chances I wonder?
I can give you the first half. I didn't watch the second.

Very slow Italy. The ball movement was so slow that i seriously felt like watching a replay in slow motion. The defense, and what worries me, the CB pair (Legro-Chiellini) was awful. It seemed as if they're playing together for the first time in their life.
The US team ran a lot, faught hard, their fitness level seemed better. They defended well and in attack Donovan and Altidore created too many problems for Chiellini-Legro.

Around 25-30 minute the Americans got a red card which was imo deserved. It was a very dangerous play by Clark on Gattuso.
Then the Americans scored an owngoal which was imo rightfully disallowed for offside.
Near the end of the half Chiellini was outsmarted by Altidore and a clear penalty was given to the US.

There was another situation where Grosso (i think) could have easily gotten a red card because he elbowed Donovan. The referee decided to give him yellow, even though not many could have objected if he was given a red card.

Grosso played well for Italy in the first half. The others were bad.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
I don't think that Rossi has more passion than Ale. Del Piero always commited to the national team. In my opinion he wasn't that successful with Azzurri because he wasn't the main man there, he was used tactically different, he had different duties than in Juve.

Btw, its Azzurri :p
so true...

YasoR17

Mirkofan #1
Jul 4, 2008
whats with calling me names?!?!? have i takena swing at u?? i know it was a hand ball but that was'nt the refrees intial call not to mentiont he lines man did'nt see the bloody incident. and to be honest it could be take as an un deliberate hand ball.

so there is no need for u to call me an idiot ok. i wont go as low as u considering u just started posting and probably are immature. so grow up
Easy now big fella. You are the one stating that it wasn't a penalty. Yes the referee didn't call for the penalty the first time, and when a referee has called for something he can't take it back. But this is what football has come down today. The headset has a big role in the decisions taken by the referees. If you ask me, even Blatter could be talking to the ref and telling him what to call for and what to not call for.

And I understand your frustration, but you gotta look at it from a neutral point of view, It was an obvious penalty and Al Muhamadi tried to take the focus from the penalty situation and instead act like if he was hurten in the head. Almost worked :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There was another situation where Grosso (i think) could have easily gotten a red card because he elbowed Donovan. The referee decided to give him yellow, even though not many could have objected if he was given a red card.
Yeah, that was another one.

Dirty, dirty team.

And Clark tried to pull his leg back at the last minute, thus showing he was not intentionally trying to hurt the player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)