FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (50 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Around World Cups we've often talked about how the landscape of power in football might change over time. When will an African team make the final? Will the US ever become a power? What about Asian teams?

Here's the US squad. I removed all the names cause noone's heard of these people anyway. Just look at the clubs. Pretty lame. And that's quite a few years after football was supposed to become a major sport, after Beckham the walking advertisement would make it popular and so on.

Goalkeepers: (Everton, ENG) (Aston Villa, ENG) (Kaiserslautern, GER)

Defenders: (Chivas USA) (Stade Rennes, FRA) (Standard Liege, BEL) (Hansa Rostock, GER) (Toronto FC) (FC Mitdylland, DEN) (Watford, ENG) (West Ham United, ENG)

Midfielders: (Rangers, SCO) (Borussia Monchengladbach, GER) (Houston Dynamo) (Chivas USA) (Monaco, FRA) (Pachuca, MEX) (AGF Aarhus, DEN)

Forwards: (Fulham, ENG) (Los Angeles Galaxy) (Xerez, ESP) (Colorado Rapids) (Hammarby IF, SWE)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It doesn't matter how well a team plays; if you can't defend set pieces, you won't win against top sides.

Egypt, and many other teams, need to learn this.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Around World Cups we've often talked about how the landscape of power in football might change over time. When will an African team make the final? Will the US ever become a power? What about Asian teams?

Here's the US squad. I removed all the names cause noone's heard of these people anyway. Just look at the clubs. Pretty lame. And that's quite a few years after football was supposed to become a major sport, after Beckham the walking advertisement would make it popular and so on.
:dielaugh:

Not as bad as Ireland's squad. (entirely based in England plus McGeady from Celtic).

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
It doesn't matter how well a team plays; if you can't defend set pieces, you won't win against top sides.

thats true, there were some amateur mistakes made by the defensive line,. :agree:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

Juve won a good number of matches this way in the last 2 years. We weren't better, sometimes we were even outplayed, but our opponents couldn't defend set pieces.

YasoR17

Mirkofan #1
Jul 4, 2008
Italy's starting eleven against USA:
Buffon; Zambrotta, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Grosso; Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo; Iaquinta, Gilardino, Camoranesi

Five Juventus players :)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Juve won a good number of matches this way in the last 2 years. We weren't better, sometimes we were even outplayed, but our opponents couldn't defend set pieces.
I know. Aberdeen do it a lot as well.

I've never been able to understand why teams can't defend set-pieces. It is such a basic and essential element of the game that huge amounts of time in training should be devoted to practicing the attacking and defending of them.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Italy's starting eleven against USA:
Buffon; Zambrotta, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Grosso; Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo; Iaquinta, Gilardino, Camoranesi

Five Juventus players :)
We almost always have the highest number of Italian internationals.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Lippi: I Snubbed Altidore Because He's Black
Football Italia

Italy head coach Marcelo Lippi said today that he decided not to opt for former Red Bull New York striker Jozy Atidore because he is "too black." The Italy boss made the comments just hours before his side take on the United States in the Confederations Cup.

"Altidore?" Lippi said. "Well, Donadoni wanted him here, but I don't because he's too black for this Azzurri. He might be packing heat and splatter my marinara sauce all over the street if he doesn't agree with my decisions. He's too much of a thug risk, but great player. Much better than Pepe."

These comments provoked a series of questions and outrage towards Lippi, who was then asked about Balotelli.

"Then what is Balotelli then you white-haired old fart?" asked Tuttosport reporter Luca Bologne. Lippi responded by saying, "he's a black Italien, emphasis on the e, cuz he ain't no nigger to me."

In other news, Italian centerback Fabio Cannavaro was charged with treason after stating he'd no longer eat any antipasti.

www.channel4.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)