FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (6 Viewers)

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Everyone seems to be forgetting Lippi’s coaching history. By my count Lippi has already brought 11 different players from the ones he brought to the world cup. De Sanctis, Chiellini, Legro, Gamberini, Santon, Dossena, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Quagliarella and Rossi. Those players replaced Peruzzi, Nesta, Barzagli, Materazzi, Zaccardo, Oddo, Perrotta, Barone, Totti, Inzaghi and Del Piero. So that's quite a few changes already. And most of those new players he called up are good, and the rest are worth experimenting with. Obviously none of them are guaranteed for the world cup though because Lippi was still calling up the likes of Cristiano Lucarelli a year before WC 06...so changes are going to happen.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Everyone seems to be forgetting Lippi’s coaching history. By my count Lippi has already brought 11 different players from the ones he brought to the world cup. De Sanctis, Chiellini, Legro, Gamberini, Santon, Dossena, Montolivo, Palombo, Pepe, Quagliarella and Rossi. Those players replaced Peruzzi, Nesta, Barzagli, Materazzi, Zaccardo, Oddo, Perrotta, Barone, Totti, Inzaghi and Del Piero. So that's quite a few changes already. And most of those new players he called up are good, and the rest are worth experimenting with. Obviously none of them are guaranteed for the world cup though because Lippi was still calling up the likes of Cristiano Lucarelli a year before WC 06...so changes are going to happen.
That's what Lippi said too. But those players don't really matter. Chiellini already played under Donadoni and Quag, Pepe, Rossi, Palombo, Montolivo, Gamberini, Legro, Santon and the others don't start much. The core of Lippi's team is the one of four years ago.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
That's what Lippi said too. But those players don't really matter. Chiellini already played under Donadoni and Quag, Pepe, Rossi, Palombo, Montolivo, Gamberini, Legro, Santon and the others don't start much. The core of Lippi's team is the one of four years ago.
The Confederations Cup is a great "official" tournament to test the old guards and new blood in a competitive atmosphere....it could be a good way to bench-mark the team for 2010.

I think one year is probably enough to integrate a few of the younger players from U21. He doesn't want to revolutionize the squad too quickly because some of the older players have valuable experience and can give advice to the younger players.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Does Lippi get much criticsm in Italy for his selections? If i was an Italian fan i would be very frustrated.

The only critics I would give Lippi involving his selection is that he brought too many old players and the names that won WC2006 don't win everything is what I would say. Gattuso as an example is a good player IMO but he shouldn't have started against Egypt.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Pile your cash on then.

Bet356 has 1-1 at 11/2, Robinho 6/1 first scorer and Rossi 15/2 for last scorer.
No, I don't bet. Although lately I'm starting to think I should. Of course I am wrong every once in a while, I could be wrong today as well, but I get it right a lot. I said Egypt would win against Italy for example and I thought it would be a 1-0 win as well. I still say it's sheer luck though.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
The only critics I would give Lippi involving his selection is that he brought too many old players and the names that won WC2006 don't win everything is what I would say. Gattuso as an example is a good player IMO but he shouldn't have started against Egypt.
actually to further extend your point, gattuso should have never been selected to the NT squad for this competition. he has been useless

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
No, I don't bet. Although lately I'm starting to think I should. Of course I am wrong every once in a while, I could be wrong today as well, but I get it right a lot. I said Egypt would win against Italy for example and I thought it would be a 1-0 win as well. I still say it's sheer luck though.
I don't bet much, but I have a pretty damn good record when I do bet.

First bet I ever put on: Italy to win the World Cup in 2006 at 9/1. :cool:

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
i think italy's problem is that for the past 10 years or so they have been blessed with some of the best talent any country has ever amassed. unfortunately that talent was not fully harnessed until 2006 where their greatness came to fruition.

sadly they've all aged and its Lippi's duty to recognize and react accordingly to make the changes necessary to keep the NT competitive

I don't bet much, but I have a pretty damn good record when I do bet.

First bet I ever put on: Italy to win the World Cup in 2006 at 9/1. :cool:
lucky guess :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)