Fernando Llorente (222 Viewers)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
He was always going to burn out sooner or later, at least now we have Osvaldo to allow him a breather.
I don't think he's overused or burning out. It's just his application. He couldn't make a simple 2 meter pass tonight. For people who used to criticize Matri, this was probably worse. And given his targetman credentials, a lot of those passes were backwards, and we ended up giving away crucial balls in the middle.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think he's overused or burning out. It's just his application. He couldn't make a simple 2 meter pass tonight. For people who used to criticize Matri, this was probably worse. And given his targetman credentials, a lot of those passes were backwards, and we ended up giving away crucial balls in the middle.
Well I do, given how many games he has played and the declining levels of his overall performance. He's actually played a few average games for some time but has still contributed. He's playing too much in a demanding role, it's not easy for such a big man.

The mind and body go together, players can't do simple things when this happens.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
At Bilbao he was fantastic at controlling balls from all heights, and then quickly linking up with his teammates

At times for us, he tries these disgustingly awkward first time passes to nowhere

No doubt he's a good player, but man oh man is he useless at times in this 3-5-2

When you have a team that has no width or pace, a 6 foot 5 target man is really not the way to go
He sucked today, that much is true. But really who is he supposed to pass the ball to when our team is parking the bus and our mid is nowhere to be found?

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
One of his main strengths is his hold up play

The idea is, he can guard the ball and allow our team to push up. But if he is kneeing the ball away or getting out-done by some useless Genoa CB, then toe punting it into a random open space then it's mostly his fault really.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Well I do, given how many games he has played and the declining levels of his overall performance. He's actually played a few average games for some time but has still contributed. He's playing too much in a demanding role, it's not easy for such a big man.

The mind and body go together, players can't do simple things when this happens.
Hmm. for me, I'd say, if anything Vidal is perhaps burning out, not just for an equally demanding role on the team but in terms of usage as well. Llorente hasn't really had a busy season in the overall scheme of things. National team call ups and actual matches, and you can account for the fact that he didn't play for a good part of the first couple of months into the season. He seemed error prone at the start of the game and that kind of dictated how he played for the rest of it, like his temperament was affected by it.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Hmm. for me, I'd say, if anything Vidal is perhaps burning out, not just for an equally demanding role on the team but in terms of usage as well. Llorente hasn't really had a busy season in the overall scheme of things. National team call ups and actual matches, and you can account for the fact that he didn't play for a good part of the first couple of months into the season. He seemed error prone at the start of the game and that kind of dictated how he played for the rest of it, like his temperament was affected by it.
You have to expect it over a season, we do need the depth to be available and ready to play to a high standard.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
One of his main strengths is his hold up play

The idea is, he can guard the ball and allow our team to push up. But if he is kneeing the ball away or getting out-done by some useless Genoa CB, then toe punting it into a random open space then it's mostly his fault really.
While i agree he could barely hold the ball today, there were other times our team wouldn't push up at all. He can't guard the ball forever.

I've noticed he plays his best when Vidal or Licht is on good form, when he's in a offensive mood, giving him support from behind. If our mid can't close the gap with the attack, LLorente won't be able to do much, honestly. Not in this 3-5-2/5-3-2 anyway.

Osvaldo had a couple decent runs but only when Pogba woud support him. You get my point.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
You have to expect it over a season, we do need the depth to be available and ready to play to a high standard.
But we do have the depth, coz after an early CL exit, he hasn't really played much in the EL, if at all. Depth in serie a, would perhaps mean playing the likes of Osvaldo, Quag and Vucinic more often once he returns. If Roma lose tonight, I can see that will be the case.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
But we do have the depth, coz after an early CL exit, he hasn't really played much in the EL, if at all. Depth in serie a, would perhaps mean playing the likes of Osvaldo, Quag and Vucinic more often once he returns. If Roma lose tonight, I can see that will be the case.
What I mean is that it would have been nice for Tevez-Osvaldo to get a run and give Llorente 4-5 games off.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
What I mean is that it would have been nice for Tevez-Osvaldo to get a run and give Llorente 4-5 games off.
That wouldn't be too smart considering that Llorente's rest would come at Tevez's expense. And I don't think it's ever wise to give a player 4-5 games off. While we may look at them as games only, we should consider that they would come over a 3 week time frame. Cools down the player a but too much in terms of match pace. Then they need another couple of games to hit their stride. And this is considering that Llorente is nowhere close to the kind of levels you'd associate with an overused player burning out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 222)