Felipe (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Givet is also overrated to be honest. I honestly think he'd only be a good signing for Serie B, he can be quite decent but he is quite mistake prone and gets caught out in the defence now and then. When we get to Serie A, we could do better than Givet.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Andy I agree you most of player evaluation but not this one.

Barzagli IMO always seemed to have that calmness about him which you can rarely find in young defenders. He had 3 decent years in Serie A already in his CV as well as decent contribution to Italia's WC winning campaign. For any defender that is an impressive resume but for 24 year old, I have to say he has potentially to be very best.

Beside, defenders in general can take up hell of lot more milage than attackers, and they tend to mature at later stage. I do not know the exact reasons, but my presumption is that the element understanding the flow of game matters more for defenders than attackers. Terry, for example, who is widely regarded by many to be the best defender ATM, was virtually unknown playing for England U21. Yes he was a promising defender if I recall, but anyone predicted his current achievement would have been laughed at 4 years ago.
I just think defenders' growth rate are unpredicted in most cases because they do not get the same limelight as the attacking phenoms.
Just looking at Barzagli's resume, it is as good as you can get for a 24 year old.

I agree with you that he is a risky buy but then again the question is at what price? Barzagli is Italian so there is no adjustment issue that comes with foreign players. And 10m, as reported by some press, IMO, is a bargain buy when dumb "me-cool" defenders like Rio gets paid over 100K pounds per week and gets traded over 30m.
The question is would he come? My gut feeling suggests he will probably end up in Milan sometime soon.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Jun-hide said:
Andy I agree you most of player evaluation but not this one.

Barzagli IMO always seemed to have that calmness about him which you can rarely find in young defenders. He had 3 decent years in Serie A already in his CV as well as decent contribution to Italia's WC winning campaign. For any defender that is an impressive resume but for 24 year old, I have to say he has potentially to be very best.
I did not see much calmness from him when Palermo was tenth in goals conceded last season. Their entire defense was shakey for most of the season, and even though part of that can be attributed to Del Neri's tactics, Barzagi and Terlizzi were subpar in my opinion. He reminds me of Bonera for how one game he can look solid and the next potentially score an own goal. The prior season when he played against Juventus he looked solid on both occasions, and that initially stirred our interest in him. But after watching him these past three seasons... I am still not convinced. And seeing that the only match he started in the World Cup was that against Ukraine, I would not look too much into his display in that match. Cannavaro made three saving plays in that match anyway which saved Italy from the only real chances Shevchenko and co had.

But if we can obtain Barzagli with a reasonable fee I would not object to taking a chance on him. I just don't want people calling him the next Nesta or Cannavaro for that matter because he is clearly NOT.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
IMO Barzagli may turn out to be the next Cannavaro or Nesta but he still has a long way to go.

I agree, the last season especially Ive seen Barzagli far from calm...he has had his game but not as consistantly as the year before.

If we can secure either him or Felipe I'd be happy. i dont know enough about givet to make a stance on him.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
- vOnAm - said:
IMO Barzagli may turn out to be the next Cannavaro or Nesta but he still has a long way to go.
That comparison means doom for him. Legrottaglie, Ferrari and Bonera were also called the new Nesta or Cannavaro at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)