Felipe Melo (10 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
No, not really. I am arguing that the hate on Marchisio is not justified and that I have absolutely no problem selling Melo.

If we had to sell Marchisio to bring in a better player I'd have no problem selling Marchisio.
What about Melo? He's a better player than Marchisio so why didn't we keep him and sell Claudio instead?
point of the post?
Kitty thinks Matri is prettier. what else?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
What about Melo? He's a better player than Marchisio so why didn't we keep him and sell Claudio instead?

Kitty thinks Matri is prettier. what else?
Melo is a better DM than Marchisio, but he isn't a better player. Being a better DM than Marchisio isn't saying much.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
If Melo was such a wonderful player then why didn't he do shit for the team since joining? I am sure with Momo starting in the team we would have still finished 7th.
just want to mention how much of a stupid and ridiculous argument it is to mention melo's numerous clubs over the years.

when he joined santender, he was good, so almeria bought him. when he joined almeria he was great, so viola bought him. in fact many here commented about what a steal it was for viola. secco was a retard but no way he would have splashed 25 million outright if it wasn't for melo's impressive performances for viola. he didn't switch clubs because he was terrible or a trouble maker.

so you mentioning the different clubs and trying to use that as a point against melo is retarded.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
just want to mention how much of a stupid and ridiculous argument it is to mention melo's numerous clubs over the years.

when he joined santender, he was good, so almeria bought him. when he joined almeria he was great, so viola bought him. in fact many here commented about what a steal it was for viola. secco was a retard but no way he would have splashed 25 million outright if it wasn't for melo's impressive performances for viola.

so you mentioning the different clubs and trying to use that as a point against melo is retarded.
So does that mean no one will buy him now because he has been shit for us for 1.5 years or someone will buy him because he was good for about half a season? Use some sense here, Lion.

The guy gets tossed around like a two bit whore. If he was so good he would stay at a club longer than 2 seasons. Again, use some sense here.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
So does that mean no one will buy him now because he has been shit for us for 1.5 years or someone will buy him because he was good for about half a season? Use some sense here, Lion.

The guy gets tossed around like a two bit whore. If he was so good he would stay at a club longer than 2 seasons. Again, use some sense here.
so ibrahimovic is a shit player? what about anelka? how about vieri?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
What did melo showed us attacking wise this season? :boh:
It's actually not that complicated. Him winning the ball back and maintaining possession helps alot actually. His presence in the center also allows other players to move forward.

He doesn't have to be playing 30 yard passes to help out the attack.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
How is Melo not clearly a more consistent and effective performer in the center? Because Marchisio has all this technique and promise that he never shows?
Stats, Kyle. Marchisio has had better stats in just about everything. Pulling the numbers he does while playing out of position and beating a player that "is supposed to be better" and having the luxury of playing in his natural role, Melo has absolutely no excuses.

None.

You can make the claim that Melo was better in the center in the 09-10 season but even then he was a flop, 4 years older than Marchisio with 4 years more experience under his belt.

Equally, Marchisio being 4 years younger (well, almost 4 years) is equal in far too many stats that Melo should be dominating it considering his salary. Keep in mind 2 season ago Marchisio was only 22 and doing a pretty solid job for not being a great player.

When it comes to doing the simple things right more often that adds up to more positive output for the team as a whole, I'd say Marchisio is more effective. Melo is brainless and makes too many mistakes. People had the same argument with Sissoko 2 years ago because they saw him as a destroyer yet its the same shit with melo and the only thing that melo does better is pass. That's it.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Well for one....

The whole Melo is a DM and Marchisio is a CM argument is redundant. Why compare the two or compare there impact if at the sight of stats you shy away to that argument ?
Kasaki, c'mon buddy - you know that stats don't tell the whole story in football, right? I would rate many of Marchisio's intangibles above melo, and those aren't recorded in statistics.

It doesn't make sense to strictly judge players based on a comparison of statistics between a DM, and a box to box, right? It makes even less sense to do it when one has been played out of position for most of the last year.

Contrary to Janna's belief, stats can definitely lie, they can easily be misleading.

Two, marchisio is highly underrated , sure he's no vidal but he scored 4 goals this season and I believe 2 of those were at crucial times. Talk about clutch? He's also clean in possession if there is anyone on the team I would bet on to not lose the ball it would be claudio..now if only melo had half of his ball retention skills he wouldn't give the ball in our final third trying fancy back-heels. Not taking anything away from melo though..
I like Claudio a lot, I always back him up in his thread. He is underrated on this site, IMO. He is clean in possession, he would certainly benefit from continuity, a proper LB, and some more movement up front.

Those goals he scored were important goals, but let's not get carried away and say that this guy is a "clutch player," until he does it consistently, season in and season out, in big games. As much as I like the guy, I haven't seen enough to call him a clutch player - not by a long shot.

Also, at the end of this point, you say 'not to take anything away from melo', while criticizing him. That's not particularly logical... but you're right in that he does occasionally get a little too cute with the ball.

Apparently melo was supposed to be a good long ball passer...Besides his pass in the World Cup I've seen very little of this, and I don't count his passes that switch play as good passes because they are really easy to do. True defensively he was a beast, almost like a wall in front of the defence. But his ability going forward left a lot to be asked. Defensively, Marchisio tries his hardest, no he doesn't win every ball but he likes to fight something I praise him for.
Forget Melo as a "good long ball passer," or whatever you've 'heard' he's supposed to be. Sure, he's not the greatest player going forward. The guy is a crazy beast of a destroyer though, with above average passing and technical ability (when you compare him to destroyers). Just appreciate what you know he is, and recognize the value he brings in that capacity. He's steel, and passion.

At the end of the day Melo and Marchisio serve seperate purposes, neither was more important than the other in finishing 7th (which btw isn't an accomplishment). Sissoko could have done melo's job just as efficiently. Credit for saving this season goes to Quagliarella and Matri. Quag was our rise and downfall, while Matri helped stabilize a sinking ship. Which Melo didn't help with his rash actions during the campaign. Oh yeah, one more thing! (jackie chan granpa voice) . If Melo had his head on right he would be a much better player, no reason to moan to the media about a bad season. A true leader would have called a team meeting during the season or something...
C'mon buddy, Marchisio is one of my favorites - I constantly defended him in his thread all season long - but I really find it impossible to accept that Melo wasn't far more influential on our matches during this past season.

As for Sissoko doing the job Melo does... the guy can't pass 5 yards, hasn't been fit in what seems like forever, and certainly cannot do the job that Felipe Melo can do. You think Melo has problems with ball retention, well the soaker is a turnover machine. He has way less technical quality than Melo.

What does the statement, "Credit for saving this season goes to Quagliarella and Matri. Quag was our rise and downfall, while Matri helped stabilize a sinking ship," even mean? We came 7th and didn't qualify for Europe at all. We're talking about what was effectively the worst season in Juventus' history, right? How was it saved? I don't understand.

Melo may be hot headed, but a lot of people let some of his poor decisions - and he has made some VERY poor decisions - influence their valuation of the player's ability a little too much. We're going to miss this guy, and if Sissoko is gone as well (which he should be, given performances/fitness), then this midfield is going to be lacking physicality big time.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
It's actually not that complicated. Him winning the ball back and maintaining possession helps alot actually. His presence in the center also allows other players to move forward.

He doesn't have to be playing 30 yard passes to help out the attack.
Marchisio did that..On more than one occasion melo lost the ball in dangerous positions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)