JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I did notice one moment where he didn't step back late on and he left MDS 2v1. Allegri isn't stupid, this kind of thing is very important.

He'll get there.

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Dude makes obvious defensive mistakes, like not covering a strong leg of a Papu or when speed demon Ilicic simply outruns him. Just a horrible lack of effort, it likes he is ok with running in defense, but tackling or at least thinking is already too much.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
I don't know, he strikes me as not aldo the guy who lacks will to do this, but mainly lack of stamina.

If he tracks back and defend all the time, there will probably be not enough legs to provide good offense. He's quite unathletic.

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012
It’s not only his defensive duties, there was a moment where he sent a nice threaded ball down the right hand side for higuain, but after he passed it he didn’t make any attempt to support Higuain at all. He should’ve known that higuain was never going to outrun the defender and that he’s the only outlet of support on that right flank when countering..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I did notice one moment where he didn't step back late on and he left MDS 2v1. Allegri isn't stupid, this kind of thing is very important.

He'll get there.
you know you have work to do when a lolzillian like costa can put in defensive work more than you

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I don't know, he strikes me as not aldo the guy who lacks will to do this, but mainly lack of stamina.

If he tracks back and defend all the time, there will probably be not enough legs to provide good offense. He's quite unathletic.
Wayne Rooney:

"Sometimes, early on in my career I was working too hard tracking back and Alex Ferguson sat me down.

"It does affect when you're in the opponents' box. You're a bit leggy. Alex Ferguson told me not to do so much work and be ready for when we get chances.
http://www.goal.com/en-tza/amp/news...ashford-to-be-more/10lju30gufa4319hrv2rkoajja

Rooney in his prime was a very strong and fit guy, and this affected even him. It’s very difficult for a natural forward to put in a shift defensively while still remaining effective going forward.

Messi walks through the majority of his games and often covers even less ground than goalkeepers.

Maybe the problem is our tactics. We expect our forwards to defend all the time, and then we wonder why we aren’t as good as other top teams going forward.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Wayne Rooney:

http://www.goal.com/en-tza/amp/news...ashford-to-be-more/10lju30gufa4319hrv2rkoajja

Rooney in his prime was a very strong and fit guy, and this affected even him. It’s very difficult for a natural forward to put in a shift defensively while still remaining effective going forward.

Messi walks through the majority of his games and often covers even less ground than goalkeepers.

Maybe the problem is our tactics. We expect our forwards to defend all the time, and then we wonder why we aren’t as good as other top teams going forward.
I totally agree. Ancient Italian mentality holding us back.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Don't you get it? If Bernadeschi is allowed to only focus on attack he will score as many goals as Messi. Common sense.

We should really tell our 3-4 attacking players to not track back and only run in attack. Defend with only 6-7 players. It's the only way to win... All our attackers would be superstars then, and we'd win every game like 6-2 instead of 1-0.

:nico:

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Again, keep building an imaginary strawman instead of addressing what I actually said.

I think that in general, we put too many defensive duties on our forwards. This doesn’t mean that we should never ask our attackers to help defend, but we are placing too much emphasis on it.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
It’s not like I’m making this stuff up. Sir Alex Ferguson told Rooney to not do so much defensive work so he would be sharper going forward.

I think that Mandzukic, as incredible as he is, has given us unrealistic expectations of how much defending a forward should do. Mario is a freak specimen and not everyone can be like him.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Don't you get it? If Bernadeschi is allowed to only focus on attack he will score as many goals as Messi. Common sense.

We should really tell our 3-4 attacking players to not track back and only run in attack. Defend with only 6-7 players. It's the only way to win... All our attackers would be superstars then, and we'd win every game like 6-2 instead of 1-0.

:nico:
this "lets exxagerate the argument of the other guy to make fun of it, while shifting the real meaning of what he said" doesnt work sometimes bro.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
You know what has worked for this team though, bro -- for the past 6 scudetti, 3 coppas, and allowed us to make 2/3 CL finals?

Fielding attackers who actually track back. Defending as a team. Call it cliché, but defence tends to win championships.

As Fede continues to work at rounding out his game, his minutes are going to increase.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
You know what has worked for this team though, bro -- for the past 6 scudetti, 3 coppas, and allowed us to make 2/3 CL finals?

Fielding attackers who actually track back. Defending as a team. Call it cliché, but defence tends to win championships.

As Fede continues to work at rounding out his game, his minutes are going to increase.
Yes. :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 117)