Would you keep Quagliarella?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
They are more competent because they actually want and are capable to play football and are not overpaid. Iaquinta did very well with us till his injuries and I'm a big fan, but his situation at that injury point 2 years ago was a disaster we couldn't avoid, obviously we couldn't even get rid of him for free. Quag and Matri situations are very different.
So, in other words, they're not more competent but the situation is different. Can't argue with that (yet).

Oh, and the reason why we couldn't even get rid of Iaq for free was because he had his heart set on staying with us. Which was his right, considering he was under contract. Let's hope no one else gets the same brilliant idea.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Quagliarella's book-value is 4.7m euroes approximate so we can afford to sell him for than 7m, he's wages of 3.7m including tax. Keeping him would be 2.3m amortization+ 3.7m wages, that's 6m of unnecessary annual expense; so long West Ham's quoted loan (1m) has obligation to buy(6m), we should take it.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
So, in other words, they're not more competent but the situation is different. Can't argue with that (yet).

Oh, and the reason why we couldn't even get rid of Iaq for free was because he had his heart set on staying with us. Which was his right, considering he was under contract. Let's hope no one else gets the same brilliant idea.
Nah, they are more competent than Vinnie was, when we decided to split with Iaq (first summer of Conte), he was already done as a footballer, maybe not to extent he is now, but even if he had low wages, I doubt anyone would pay over 3m for him at that point.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Yet the actual numbers that I posted a while ago show that Iaquinta delivered more for us than Quag (& Matri?).

So how exactly is it clear that Quag & Matri are more competent than him? Obviously comparing Quag's current situation with the one Iaquinta was in a few seasons ago, not the situation right now for both players.
Iaq was pretty much a designated starter in his time. Quag and Matri were not. Continuity, believe it or not is one of the all defining factors when it comes to leaving your mark on the pitch. Even more so as a forward, which is perhaps the one position on the team that is all about confidence. Quag and Matri, even when they started games, the few times they did, were always looking over their shoulder expecting to be subbed out. That is psychological and has a major bearing on your game. You are more error prone and play less freely. Despite that, they delivered, which is where i see their competency ahead of the likes of Iaq and Amauri. Iaquinta perhaps didn't have the reportoire in his game to do that even before the injury. He would never be as effective if he was a 4-5th striker on this team. Same for Amauri. I'm pretty sure of it.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Iaq was pretty much a designated starter in his time. Quag and Matri were not. Continuity, believe it or not is one of the all defining factors when it comes to leaving your mark on the pitch. Even more so as a forward, which is perhaps the one position on the team that is all about confidence. Quag and Matri, even when they started games, the few times they did, were always looking over their shoulder expecting to be subbed out. That is psychological and has a major bearing on your game. You are more error prone and play less freely. Despite that, they delivered, which is where i see their competency ahead of the likes of Iaq and Amauri. Iaquinta perhaps didn't have the reportoire in his game to do that even before the injury. He would never be as effective if he was a 4-5th striker on this team. Same for Amauri. I'm pretty sure of it.
Nice try :D

Let me tell you when he was pretty much a designated starter for us: never.

2007-2008: 1413 minutes vs 3271 for Trez & 3035 for Ale.
2008-2009: 2340 minutes vs 3332 for Ale & 3009 for Amauri.
2009-2010: 1301 minutes vs 2792 for Amauri & 1916 for Ale.
2010-2011: 1245 minutes vs 2701 for Ale & 1307 for Quag.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Fair enough if you don't want to classify him a starter minutes wise, but are the minutes comparison telling the whole story? If my memory serves me right, Amauri and Trez were both injured for some spells, and Iaq had a good run of games under Ranieri, post which Trez and Ranieri had a fallout and Iaq got a lot of games under him. Close to 38 in all competitions?? The season in which he scored 16 goals IIRC.

Also, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 minutes arent telling the story in its entirety, because again, as far as I remember, Iaq under Ferarra's reign was a starter, till injury sidelined him for close to 6 months if not more. And those injury woes continued even after Marrotta came in and signed Quag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)