Exclusive Zambrotta Interview (with Part 2) (2 Viewers)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Interview conducted by the Juventsmania.net site.

Zambrotta:

"I was owned by Juve in 1998 without me knowing about it".

"Some players didn't want Camoranesi in the National Team".

"Montero warned me about Moreno before the match".

"I see Maresca as the next Zidane".

"The one match that Juve fans and football lovers won't forget is the one against ...."

At the start of this interview, and on behalf of your fans in the Middle East, we would like to welcome you and thank you for your precious time.

You’re welcome, and I’m more than happy to stay in touch with my fans whom I would like to say ‘Salam Alaikom’ (greetings in Arabic).

Zambrotta, where did you learn that expression from?

From a friend called ‘Jasim’ and he’s from the UAE. It means greetings and I’ve also learned some other Arabic words too. I’ve known Jasim since 1997 through the ICQ chat program. He has visited me here in Italy many times and I’ve also met him in the UAE even before joining Juve officially. He’s a special person whom I like talking to him, I also like it when he calls me Zomba.

Well Zomba, you said ‘before joining Juve officially’, what did you mean by that?

In fact, there is something that many people might not be aware of, and that is Juve owned me in 1998 without me knowing about it. At the time, Bari’s president forced the coach to field me in different positions and asked me to play using both legs, and I didn’t understand the reason for that.

In 1999, I received offers from Milan, Inter and Chievo. However, the club’s management turned them all down. I was opposed to the club’s decisions as I wanted to join Chievo and was seriously considering Milan and Inter’s offers. In fact, I was so incensed that I raised a letter to the club’s president, complaining about the club’s decision to refuse all offers.

The president then met with me and said: ‘Do you trust me?’
I said ‘Yes’.
And he replied: ‘Then leave the transfer matter to me, you will be in a place you’ve never dreamed about’.

I remember leaving the office furiously.

After around 5 months I had a meeting with Moggi, and he said: ‘I heard you wanted to leave to Milan’.
I replied jokingly: ‘Not if you singed me first’.
He laughed and said: ‘Well, you’ve been a Bianconeri for more than a year now!’.

Only after that did I understand my previous president’s words. I was very happy with the way things went because had I known about the transfer to Juve while playing at Bari, my performance would definitely be affected.

I also remember at the time Miccoli was owned by Juve too without him knowing about it.

Zambo, how do you rate Juve this season as we’ve noticed that it’s not the same Juve we all know. Do the team’s performances have anything to do with Davids’ problems with the club’s management?

Any team would go through an ‘inconsistency period’.

Let’s not forget that there are many new additions to the team too, and in all departments. We have Legrottaglie in defense, Appiah in midfield, and Miccoli in attack. I believe those players would need some time to adapt to Juve tactically especially that they didn’t use to receive constant tactical orders from their previous coaches.

Miccoli, for example, was a free player in Perugia but here it’s a totally different matter. And Legrottaglie needs to learn from Montero, Iuliano, Ferrara and Thuram because he’s going to be their natural heir, no doubt, and the same goes to Appiah.

Therefore, I can see that we might struggle a bit due to the change in style and charisma. But now at least I believe we’re concentrating on all 3 competitions as opposed to last season when we were more focused on the European championship.

Your gift of adapting to new positions and playing with both feet makes you the more unique player. Some people believe you’re even the best player in the world to play in more than one position. But what’s the reason for switching your position from an offensive one in the right wing to a defensive one in the left back position? Does Camoranesi have anything to do with that? And which position do you prefer to play in?

I never discuss the coach’s plans and tactics. Lippi is the leader of this ship and I’m just a soldier in his army. I won’t argue with him even if he plays me as a goalkeeper.

A player needs to give best in any assigned position. I’ll give you an example: Alex Del Piero.

Many believe he is a normal player, but frankly I don’t see him that way. There are also many comparisons between him and Totti going around. Surely, everyone would drift towards his favorite in this comparison. Personally, I believe that yes Totti is now better but tactically speaking, Alex is one of the best tactical players in the world. Do you think Totti is capable of defending for example, playing as a winger, or pulling back to start an attack? Alex can.

I remember the Euro2000 semifinal match against Holland in which I was sent-off and Alex was asked to play in midfield. And also before that against Sweden Alex played one of his matches ever, scoring 2 goals while playing as a defender, midfielder, and attacker. This is what usually goes unnoticed, but Alex is a complete player and you rarely find a player like him.
That’s why I always like to develop myself in all positions and would like to play regardless of the position I play in.

Camoranesi is a great player and I like his style of play and personally believe he is better than me in penetrating defenses and surging forward. He can also comfortably play in the left side of midfield if needed and his shots are precise and strong and we complement each other.

Since we’re speaking about Camoranesi, weren’t you bothered by the way he was treated upon participating with the Azzurri? What do you think about his decision, especially that you go along with him and share a room with him while with Juve and the Azzurri?

Camoranesi was very disturbed since some players didn’t want him in the team without mentioning names. Totti gave him his support though, and asked the players to lend him their trust and whoever was against it should leave the team. Trap also agreed with everything Totti said. But with time everyone got used to it.

What I like about Camoranesi is that he didn’t complain about it or grumbled, he handled the situation well and gave his best in the field.

He’s a terrific lad and it’s nice to have someone talented like him with us in the Azzurri. I’m not sure as to why he wasn’t chosen to represent Argentina earlier, but we’re happy to have him with us anyway, whether it was Italy or Juve.

Wearing the no. 3 Azzurri shirt, does it give you a strong motive to become even better than Maldini in his own position? Or does it effect you in a negative way due to the huge pressure and expectations from the fans?

Actually, it’s a great honor to wear the no.3 shirt and I was thrilled when Maldini handed it t himself to me upon his retirement.

To win the trust of one of the greatest Italian legends is a great thing. I’m a huge fan of his since a very long time and that could’ve been a major factor for me to choose joining Milan earlier.

Maldini’s trust is Italy’s trust. That’s why I don’t think I’ll have to deal with huge pressures. I know my aim exactly and I’m doing my best every time I play.

In your opinion, what are Italy’s chances of winning the European championship? Which teams are going to compete for the title and would pose the greatest threat to Italy?

Italy’s chances are like that of any other team. We all want the title badly and all teams are somehow favorites. But personally, I believe Italy, Portugal, Holland and the Czech. Republic are the teams to beat and predict Holland to edge out as winners this time.

Of course, the recent World Cup was a bad memory for Italy in general due to the early elimination and bad refereeing against the team and for you in person due to the long-term injury. Despite that, you were one of the best players in the tournament. What are your comments?

Unfortunately, our desires for success were shot down by a single man, as it was clear to everyone. What saddened us though was that FIFA didn’t take any actions against the apparent favourism towards S. Korea in the tournament. Instead, fourth place medal were invented for the first time just to please the Koreans.

I’m sorry to say this, but Moreno is a dishonest person. I was skeptic before the match as Montero phoned me and warned me about his malicious acts and horrible history. Worryingly I passed that to Trap and what Montero said was true.

I wasn’t sad for my injury as much as I was to Italy’s elimination that way. I only fared well in the tournament thanks to the overall effort of the team.

Do you think Brazil were worthy winners of the 2002 World Cup?

Brazil did exactly what was needed to succeed. What’s the use of great entertaining play if you end up with nothing, like Turkey.

Brazil won the World Cup with minimum effort, and that’s why I believe they deserve the trophy.

Who do you think represent the Azzurri’s future?

Too many players. Maresca, Oddo, Miccoli, and many other great promising players. Italy is bursting with talents who could carry the nation to great heights.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
Unfortunately, our desires for success were shot down by a single man, as it was clear to everyone. What saddened us though was that FIFA didn’t take any actions against the apparent favourism towards S. Korea in the tournament. Instead, fourth place medal were invented for the first time just to please the Koreans.

I’m sorry to say this, but Moreno is a dishonest person. I was skeptic before the match as Montero phoned me and warned me about his malicious acts and horrible history. Worryingly I passed that to Trap and what Montero said was true.
Fantastic interview but I'm a little disappointed that he bought into this.

Thanks a lot, Fahad! :star:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Great interview from a great player :thumb:

I especially like the "I belonged to Juve before I even knew it" part :D

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I liked the Maresca part. It's nice to see that the kid is respected by his team mates as even though I doubt he will be on the same level of Zidane ever, he still can be just a step behind him ;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
btw thanks dpforever; that's a great interview.

Hey if that site can get Zambrotta, why cannot we get a Juve player for an interview? :D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Exactly what I was about to ask :undecide:

Martin, why dont you send an email to Juventus and ask for a chat with one of the players.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Why don`t you contact that site and ask them how they got hold of Zambrotta. Or go to a player's personal website and contact him directly saying that this forum has over 3,000 juve fans from around the world.

Sep 28, 2002
i think this interview is fake.

1. zambrotta using icq and meeting with a guy from uae occasionally. is he gay? and in what language they did communicate? i doubt zambrotta knows what icq is.

2. juve signed him without him knowing it. is this legal? and anyways, are facts like these brought up to daylight? think not.

3. talking shit about korea and the world cup. finally!! year and half too late though? why didn't he say anything when italy were kicked out by moreno.

4. he gave an interview to some arabian site. suuuuure... i know a guy who's fan of zidane and made a web pae about him. and someone signed in his guestbook: great site, my friend luis figo told me about it ([email protected]). same here

:rolleyes:

now i sound like inbuco dont i?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Why don`t you contact that site and ask them how they got hold of Zambrotta. Or go to a player's personal website and contact him directly saying that this forum has over 3,000 juve fans from around the world.
He has no personal site. And that site is Arabic.. ;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Martin not just Zambrotta...whoever has a personal site fm the juve players. Anyway we have Arab speaking people here so they can contact that site :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Martin not just Zambrotta...whoever has a personal site fm the juve players. Anyway we have Arab speaking people here so they can contact that site :)
You don't get it, these players don't make the sites themselves, in fact I'll bet they hardly know what's going on with them. All requests for interviews and whatnot I bet are filtered by whoever runs it anyway. :frown:

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
Great interview to read. Thanks for posting it :) but after reading Fliakis's suspisions..... mmm.... :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)