Exclusive Zambrotta Interview (with Part 2) (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Camoranesi was very disturbed since some players didn’t want him in the team without mentioning names. Totti gave him his support though, and asked the players to lend him their trust and whoever was against it should leave the team. Trap also agreed with everything Totti said. But with time everyone got used to it.
i think i know who zambro was referring to ;) ......

(clue: i just remembered an interview with a certain portuguese player that plays for an italian club....he told his team-mates not to play for NT as long as camo was playing :)eek: yess...he actually sed that!), like what the portuguese players did when deco was chosen to represent portugal...they threatened not to play)

...without mentioning names... :p

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

i think i know who zambro was referring to ;) ......

(clue: i just remembered an interview with a certain portuguese player that plays for an italian club....he told his team-mates not to play for NT as long as camo was playing :)eek: yess...he actually sed that!), like what the portuguese players did when deco was chosen to represent portugal...they threatened not to play)

...without mentioning names... :p
nationalism is certainly one of the most difficult issues to tackle along with racism, poverty, etc

OP
dpforever

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #48

Back to Juve, we have heard that you are in the process of renewing your contract with Juve. And at the same time we have heard that Man Utd are preparing a deal for you. Are you going to renew with Juve as expected? And if that wasn’t the case, which club would you prefer to join?

I’ve never thought about leaving Juve, and my contract is going to be renewed. But the media always tend to overrate things and create stories out of nothing. I’m not planning of leaving Italy anyway, I might only consider that towards the end of my playing career.

Davids. What do you think about his problems with the club?

I don’t like getting into other people’s business. Davids might have a certain point of view in things that we have to respect, but he knows exactly what he wants.

The club’s stubbornness and a player’s stubbornness is not in the benefit of any of them.

Personally, I wish Davids would stay with the team, but if he left then I believe Maresca is a good replacement for him.

We notice you think highly of Maresca

Who wouldn’t? He’s extremely talented and in fact I see him as the next Zidane. He’s a survivor, a fighter and a terrific player.

I believe his experience in the English fields has helped him develop well, especially that he played there at a young age.

Maresca is a special player and I hope he stays with Juve because the team needs players like him.

Don’t you think there are much more problems this season than the previous one? We have seen Davids, Trezeguet, Camoranesi, and Del Piero having some sort of problems with the club.

Believe me, there isn’t a team without problems and misunderstandings. But the press overrate things, all problems will work out in a nice way, you’ll see. Those are internal affairs and should be dealt with that way. Everyone here knows his responsibilities well and what Juve means to everyone. That’s why everything will be fine.

You have been nominated in the best 50 players to win the Golden Ball, but you stated that you didn’t expect to be named with the football giants. Why don’t you have enough self-belief to think that you are one of the best players, like everyone sees it?

Honestly, I didn’t expect to be named with players like Zidane, Figo, Del Piero, Nedved, Maldini, and other football greats.

I’m thrilled and proud at the same time. It’s not about not believing in myself, but everyone has a different stature in football and I personally don’t see myself at the same level of Zidane, for example.

I believe I might have an effect on the team, but not like the way Zidane affects his team.

Do you expect any votes for the Golden Ball? And who do you want/expect to win?

I’m not expecting any votes. If I got some then I thank the coaches who nominated me.

I see Nedved as a worthy winner.

Do you agree with Lippi’s policy in having two different teams (Team A – Team B) or do you prefer integrating the whole players together in a single team? We’ve seen Lippi rotate his players between Serie A and Champions League, do you see it as confidence in his players, or a risk that might prove costly?

Lippi is a shrewd coach who knows what he’s doing, that’s why we blindly trust him.

Somehow, a coach’s job is like gambling. He takes tough decisions, sometimes they work and at others they don’t.

But with a coach like Lippi, we never discuss tactics with him because we trust in him and he’s one of Juve’s marks. I don’t think he would destroy everything he has built here in a moment.

We might fail sometimes and might succeed, in the end it’s in the player’s hands because they are the ones who should apply the coach’s orders. Therefore, success comes from following those orders correctly.

You have visited Libya during the Italian Super Cup match last year and also the UAE in Talyani’s testimonial match in January. Did you expect the warm welcome and huge following of Juve in this part of the world? What were your impressions out of those visits? Alex told us that you visited the UAE once again, how impressed were you?

As I said earlier, my visit to the UAE wasn’t the first one. Therefore, I was expecting the huge reception. Some of the team members were worried that they won’t get such welcoming, but I assured them and didn’t get disappointed. In fact, some players were so impressed that they plan to visit Dubai frequently during their vacations.

The UAE is a cultural country great tradition and friendly people. It will always be my main destination with friends and family.

Which team do you see competing with Juve for the title this season?

Milan. They are a strong unit and have very special players. I see them as the sole competitors with all respect to Inter and Roma, but I don’t see them competing for long.

Everyone witnessed you’re acting antiques against Bologna, in a clever and deceitful way, to earn a penalty. But why did you admit it to the everyone after the match?

Because I was sick with it. When we get unfair calls against us no one speaks but as soon as receive some favorable calls we are suddenly called the Mafia.

As for the incident itself, when I saw the chance coming to help the team I took it, and that’s what happened in the Bologna match. In fact, had I continued with the run I might have collided with the opposing player and possibly causing injury to either of us. Thus, I’m not too unhappy with what I did.

Why do you think Juve are targeted that way?

In short, because Juve is a huge team and only the fruitful trees get targeted.

People keep doubting in Juve’s successes and triumphs over the years, and forget that team members have achieved great things for Italy.

Even the late Agnelli have offered Italy’s youth with various job opportunities and saved them from hunger and suffering. He allowed them to live a great lifestyle with jobs in Fiat and Ferrari. And when asked about the many factories he owned and built over the years, he stated that he only wants to have as many sons as possible, sons of Italy.

Juve is stronger than ever, and became not only an Italian brand but also an international one.

Don’t you feel a bit underrated? Everyone is talking about Del Piero, Totti, and Vieri and no one is mentioning the special Zambrotta.

I repeat, I don’t see myself in the same wavelength as those great players. I’m just an average player.

My good performances are just a reflection of the overall teamwork and effort. I don’t see myself better than any other player.

Juve’s weak point lies in defense, as opposed to the previous season. As a left back how do you explain this weakness and inconsistency in defense? And which defender would you like to see wear the Bianconeri shirt?

My transitional switch from midfield to defense and the addition of new players like Legrottaglie has affected our plans and tactics.

Older defenders like Montero, Iuliano, Thuram and Ferrara need a pacey player for support. That’s why when I surge forward and a counter attack happens, the defensive line gets exposed, misses speed, and depend solely on experience to clear the ball.

Personally, I’m not concerned with our defensive problems because we have great veteran defenders like Montero and Ferrara.

As for the defender I’d like to see at Juve, well there are two: Alessandro Nesta and Christian Chivu.

Do you see Legrottaglie as the perfect replacement for Montero/Ferrara?

Legrottaglie is a young defender and needs time. As I mentioned, he needs to benefit from the presence of the likes of Montero and Ferrara.

The fans need to be patient with him too because he has moved from one style of play at Chievo to a different and more professional one here at Juve. Therefore, he might be at fault sometimes but I’m positive he will be compared to Nesta in the near future.

Which players are you fond of and would be keen to play with in the same team?

Roberto Carlos and Hatem Trabelsi, two more than great players.

Who is your role model in football?]

Gaetano Scirea, Juve’s late star.

What are your favourite hobbies

I like playing volleyball, and also like playing basketball with Alex in his house’s playground.

I also love PlayStation games, we always carry the console with us to our camps. I also like reading and shopping.

The most beautiful goal you scored?

Against Ancona, this season.

A match you won’t forget?

It’s the one match all Juve fans and football lovers won’t forget, the one against Real Madrid. It was one of the most beautiful matches I played in.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
    Nov 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by satu ] ++
    What? Huh? I never knew that Toldo is a portuguese player. :shocked:
    Its obvious I was not refering to that quote. Do you really need me to explain.

By the way, Toldo never said he was against having Camo or any other non-Italian play on the National he questioned the REAL importance of having this particular player. He wondered whether others could do the job. He wondered if there was a PR aim to get him on the team. He questioned if it was that crucial to Italy to have Camoranesi on the team. He was also an advocate of "italia per Italiani" but that was not the point of his statements.

Aug 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
    Interview conducted by the Juventsmania.net site.

Zambrotta:

"I was owned by Juve in 1998 without me knowing about it".

"Some players didn't want Camoranesi in the National Team".

"Montero warned me about Moreno before the match".

"I see Maresca as the next Zidane".

"The one match that Juve fans and football lovers won't forget is the one against ...."

At the start of this interview, and on behalf of your fans in the Middle East, we would like to welcome you and thank you for your precious time.

You’re welcome, and I’m more than happy to stay in touch with my fans whom I would like to say ‘Salam Alaikom’ (greetings in Arabic).

Zambrotta, where did you learn that expression from?

From a friend called ‘Jasim’ and he’s from the UAE. It means greetings and I’ve also learned some other Arabic words too. I’ve known Jasim since 1997 through the ICQ chat program. He has visited me here in Italy many times and I’ve also met him in the UAE even before joining Juve officially. He’s a special person whom I like talking to him, I also like it when he calls me Zomba.

Well Zomba, you said ‘before joining Juve officially’, what did you mean by that?

In fact, there is something that many people might not be aware of, and that is Juve owned me in 1998 without me knowing about it. At the time, Bari’s president forced the coach to field me in different positions and asked me to play using both legs, and I didn’t understand the reason for that.

In 1999, I received offers from Milan, Inter and Chievo. However, the club’s management turned them all down. I was opposed to the club’s decisions as I wanted to join Chievo and was seriously considering Milan and Inter’s offers. In fact, I was so incensed that I raised a letter to the club’s president, complaining about the club’s decision to refuse all offers.

The president then met with me and said: ‘Do you trust me?’
    I said ‘Yes’.
    And he replied: ‘Then leave the transfer matter to me, you will be in a place you’ve never dreamed about’.

I remember leaving the office furiously.

After around 5 months I had a meeting with Moggi, and he said: ‘I heard you wanted to leave to Milan’.
    I replied jokingly: ‘Not if you singed me first’.
    He laughed and said: ‘Well, you’ve been a Bianconeri for more than a year now!’.

Only after that did I understand my previous president’s words. I was very happy with the way things went because had I known about the transfer to Juve while playing at Bari, my performance would definitely be affected.

I also remember at the time Miccoli was owned by Juve too without him knowing about it.

Zambo, how do you rate Juve this season as we’ve noticed that it’s not the same Juve we all know. Do the team’s performances have anything to do with Davids’ problems with the club’s management?

Any team would go through an ‘inconsistency period’.

Let’s not forget that there are many new additions to the team too, and in all departments. We have Legrottaglie in defense, Appiah in midfield, and Miccoli in attack. I believe those players would need some time to adapt to Juve tactically especially that they didn’t use to receive constant tactical orders from their previous coaches.

Miccoli, for example, was a free player in Perugia but here it’s a totally different matter. And Legrottaglie needs to learn from Montero, Iuliano, Ferrara and Thuram because he’s going to be their natural heir, no doubt, and the same goes to Appiah.

Therefore, I can see that we might struggle a bit due to the change in style and charisma. But now at least I believe we’re concentrating on all 3 competitions as opposed to last season when we were more focused on the European championship.

Your gift of adapting to new positions and playing with both feet makes you the more unique player. Some people believe you’re even the best player in the world to play in more than one position. But what’s the reason for switching your position from an offensive one in the right wing to a defensive one in the left back position? Does Camoranesi have anything to do with that? And which position do you prefer to play in?

I never discuss the coach’s plans and tactics. Lippi is the leader of this ship and I’m just a soldier in his army. I won’t argue with him even if he plays me as a goalkeeper.

A player needs to give best in any assigned position. I’ll give you an example: Alex Del Piero.

Many believe he is a normal player, but frankly I don’t see him that way. There are also many comparisons between him and Totti going around. Surely, everyone would drift towards his favorite in this comparison. Personally, I believe that yes Totti is now better but tactically speaking, Alex is one of the best tactical players in the world. Do you think Totti is capable of defending for example, playing as a winger, or pulling back to start an attack? Alex can.

I remember the Euro2000 semifinal match against Holland in which I was sent-off and Alex was asked to play in midfield. And also before that against Sweden Alex played one of his matches ever, scoring 2 goals while playing as a defender, midfielder, and attacker. This is what usually goes unnoticed, but Alex is a complete player and you rarely find a player like him.
    That’s why I always like to develop myself in all positions and would like to play regardless of the position I play in.

Camoranesi is a great player and I like his style of play and personally believe he is better than me in penetrating defenses and surging forward. He can also comfortably play in the left side of midfield if needed and his shots are precise and strong and we complement each other.

Since we’re speaking about Camoranesi, weren’t you bothered by the way he was treated upon participating with the Azzurri? What do you think about his decision, especially that you go along with him and share a room with him while with Juve and the Azzurri?

Camoranesi was very disturbed since some players didn’t want him in the team without mentioning names. Totti gave him his support though, and asked the players to lend him their trust and whoever was against it should leave the team. Trap also agreed with everything Totti said. But with time everyone got used to it.

What I like about Camoranesi is that he didn’t complain about it or grumbled, he handled the situation well and gave his best in the field.

He’s a terrific lad and it’s nice to have someone talented like him with us in the Azzurri. I’m not sure as to why he wasn’t chosen to represent Argentina earlier, but we’re happy to have him with us anyway, whether it was Italy or Juve.

Wearing the no. 3 Azzurri shirt, does it give you a strong motive to become even better than Maldini in his own position? Or does it effect you in a negative way due to the huge pressure and expectations from the fans?

Actually, it’s a great honor to wear the no.3 shirt and I was thrilled when Maldini handed it t himself to me upon his retirement.

To win the trust of one of the greatest Italian legends is a great thing. I’m a huge fan of his since a very long time and that could’ve been a major factor for me to choose joining Milan earlier.

Maldini’s trust is Italy’s trust. That’s why I don’t think I’ll have to deal with huge pressures. I know my aim exactly and I’m doing my best every time I play.

In your opinion, what are Italy’s chances of winning the European championship? Which teams are going to compete for the title and would pose the greatest threat to Italy?

Italy’s chances are like that of any other team. We all want the title badly and all teams are somehow favorites. But personally, I believe Italy, Portugal, Holland and the Czech. Republic are the teams to beat and predict Holland to edge out as winners this time.

Of course, the recent World Cup was a bad memory for Italy in general due to the early elimination and bad refereeing against the team and for you in person due to the long-term injury. Despite that, you were one of the best players in the tournament. What are your comments?

Unfortunately, our desires for success were shot down by a single man, as it was clear to everyone. What saddened us though was that FIFA didn’t take any actions against the apparent favourism towards S. Korea in the tournament. Instead, fourth place medal were invented for the first time just to please the Koreans.

I’m sorry to say this, but Moreno is a dishonest person. I was skeptic before the match as Montero phoned me and warned me about his malicious acts and horrible history. Worryingly I passed that to Trap and what Montero said was true.

I wasn’t sad for my injury as much as I was to Italy’s elimination that way. I only fared well in the tournament thanks to the overall effort of the team.

Do you think Brazil were worthy winners of the 2002 World Cup?

Brazil did exactly what was needed to succeed. What’s the use of great entertaining play if you end up with nothing, like Turkey.

Brazil won the World Cup with minimum effort, and that’s why I believe they deserve the trophy.

Who do you think represent the Azzurri’s future?

Too many players. Maresca, Oddo, Miccoli, and many other great promising players. Italy is bursting with talents who could carry the nation to great heights.
    hey there wernt there more questions than that?? ..i read this article on juventusmaniia.com actually im part of the juve4arab yahoo group..theyre both pretty good uptodate sites!

Aug 1, 2003
    well. it was an okay interview overall. i like him as a player, you know with the fact that he gives lippi respect in the sense he trusts lippi's tactics and his compliments toward juve players...

but I just wish he'd said something else bout the WC and his acting against bologna though it makes sense a bit

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    i think this interview is fake.

1. zambrotta using icq and meeting with a guy from uae occasionally. is he gay? and in what language they did communicate? i doubt zambrotta knows what icq is.

2. juve signed him without him knowing it. is this legal? and anyways, are facts like these brought up to daylight? think not.

3. talking shit about korea and the world cup. finally!! year and half too late though? why didn't he say anything when italy were kicked out by moreno.

4. he gave an interview to some arabian site. suuuuure... i know a guy who's fan of zidane and made a web pae about him. and someone signed in his guestbook: great site, my friend luis figo told me about it ([email protected]). same here

:rolleyes:
    I agree, it does look suspicious!
    dpforever, how can we know that this interview is not fake???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)