[Europa League] JUVENTUS 0-0 Benfica (May 1st 2014) (1 Viewer)

MoM

• Buffon

• Caceres

• Bonucci

• Chiellini

• Asamoah

• Pirlo

• Pogba

• Vidal

• Licht

• Tevez

• Llorente

• Marchisio

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
It killed me to see us take random shots from 25 yards, it's like we knew we were physically incapable of finding a way through. I guess that's what happens against good club when you have no pace, no direction and very little creativity.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The Italians just don't want to live in the modern game. It's really as simple as that. Even fans of Italian teams like Juventus. Just look at all the fans here saying we have to have defensive wingers. They're too far behind the pack to even know they're no longer in the race.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
It's sad even when we discuss buying Wingers people reject them because they cant defend as well as Licht or whatever.

Robben? Nah. We need workrate we need Valencia!

Messi? How will we win teh ball back he is a bad defender. We NEED to defend

Where do you draw the line? Why can some people not see that the last thing we need is more clueless workhorses. We've played a team of defenders in Europe this season and not only has our attack sucked, our defence has been awful too.

We should do something crazy and buy attackers that are good at... Attacking. Crazy and illogical as that may be.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's sad even when we discuss buying Wingers people reject them because they cant defend as well as Licht or whatever.

Where do you draw the line? Why can some people not see that the last thing we need is more clueless workhorses. We've played a team of defenders in Europe this season and not only has our attack sucked, our defence has been awful too.

We should do something crazy and buy attackers that are good at... Attacking. Crazy and illogical as that may be.
If it was up to me, I would buy Chilavert just to stick it to these idiots.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010

also that apparent allergy toward youngsters, we don't want berardi here next season because of inexperience

tell me again goetze was how old when he won bundesliga with bvb?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
congrats on winning the biggest European chokers title from Benfica :sergio:

I guess we're even more cursed than them

someone said the truest thing: this team is all muscle, zero brain. And the muscle isn't even that big.

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Inexperience doesn't guarantee failure specially if not even rolling the dice on a player. Sometimes I think they need to be around great players around the training camp to develope and mold even faster than to have none of the right mentors around them to accelerate their potential. As when they go to B clubs it stagnates and little progress shows on the pitch.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
No Pace and Zero Creativity = No Goals! It's a simple equation really. We were pushing hard in the 1'st half, but that 2'nd half performance was unacceptable. I don't know if it was fear, fatigue, or a combination of both, but we simply didn't do enough to go through. We weren't good enough.

In order to succeed in Europe (let's forget about how we are dominating Serie A, because that really isn't an indication of anything when it comes to continental success these days) we need the following:

1.) An injection (massive) of pace
2.) A bit more creativity and flair
3.) Wingers or Fullbacks who actually know how to fucking cross a ball
4.) More play down the flanks, instead of that BS penetrating through the middle, which failed miserably against Benfica in the 2'nd half
5.) A little bit more luck

We were unable to break a solid (if unspectacular) Benfica unit @ home, a team which was down to 10 mean for 20 minutes. We clearly didn't deserve to go through. I know there's a lot of butthurt (some members might be experiencing more than others) and Conte's delusional statements actually disgusted me. He should've just given credit to Benfica instead of complaining about the ref, the time added on, and the fact that the better team didn't go through. Those were loser statements of which I am incredibly disappointed.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Massively disappointed but not gutted, despite what Conte says we didn't deserve to go through, we just didn't do enough over the two legs. That's why I'm not gutted.

I said this months ago and ill reiterate the point, even if we had won the EL, this team has hit the glass ceiling in Europe. We played 6 CL games and 8 EL games and how many games did we play well in? The two Madrid matches and Fiorentina away and that's about it.

The only positive thing from last night is that hopefully this run to the SF has made Conte aware of what we need for next season and him and Beppe sit down and buy the players we need to do better in Europe.

People on twitter blaming Conte is ridiculous, he's doing the best he can with the tools he has been given, it's not like he has 100m euros burning a hole in his pocket and he's refusing to spend it.

From the 60th minute on we never looked capable of scoring and I had zero confidence that we would actually get the goal. At one point I was hoping Conte would tell Maradona to throw on his boots and give us a boost.

The league we play in is also killing us in Europe, we are so far ahead of everyone else, when we actually get a competitive game in the CL/EL, we don't know what to do at times. The likes of Copenhagen/Gala and Lyon gave us better games than everyone in Serie A this season (Napoli away excluded). We need someone to step up and give us some decent games next season. A very good Roma and Napoli would be very good for us.

We move the ball very slowly, have little flair/creativity and we just try to bully teams into submission, it's very reminiscent of Capello's Juve (with lesser players it must be said). Last night felt like the 2nd leg vs Liverpool in 2004-05, when we only needed one goal in Turin to go through but we failed and went out.

No one let the team down, although I did think Llorente was our worst player, but we simply just aren't good enough.

Disappointing night.

.AB.

Mafioso
Jul 15, 2002
Guys, calm down. I'm as disappointed as any of you, but lets not overdo it. Knocked out by Bayern who went on to knock of barca 7-0 and win the trophy, that pitch in Istanbul and outplaying benfica for 180 mins where we were unlucky with our attempts and benfica were lucky. It is not like it was pathetic display and we were humiliated (Chelsea+Bayern), we fought till the very end and we didnt get that lucky break. Such is football so stop finding things to blame and appreciate the overall picture, I rather be where we are today than Milan with their 7 UCL. We're on course to achieving best ever season in the league's(weak or not) history and winning out 3rd straight title which hasnt happen from the time any of us here were born. So lets not over-analyze and relax people. I'm sure we're gonna do better next year. Fino alla Fine.

I suggest some of you to stay away from this place for a day :D. Conte has spoilt you all rotten with what he's achieved and you guys lash out at him every chance you get.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
this team is all muscle, zero brain. And the muscle isn't even that big.
It was me, and this takes me to the next point which is what B81 said

No Pace and Zero Creativity = No Goals! It's a simple equation really. We were pushing hard in the 1'st half, but that 2'nd half performance was unacceptable. I don't know if it was fear, fatigue, or a combination of both, but we simply didn't do enough to go through. We weren't good enough.
Ill tell what you happened, and is the same thing that happens to lichteiner in all the games that go this way.

Our problem is that we realy FAR TOO MUCH in our physical game. We are disciplined, yes, we are strong yes... but we have ZEEEERO creativity upfront to capitalize and make life easier for ourselves. When teams bend over against us and let us score our lucky goals (and yes i count pirlos free kicks and the occasional odballs in the area lucky goals because they just "happen" instead of us creating them)....we do good.... but when teams make us work more than our guys are capable to, we simply dissapear because we are all MUSCLE.... and when the muscles get fatigue , theres just nothing else to do.

When teams tire us...our wingbacks and midfield get super tired unable to make runs..so they limit themselves just to defend ,to NOT LOSE.... but whats the point in not losing when u need to win?.

Summary, if we continue relying on bullying opponents into submission... without a proper attacking plan, or higly skilled individuals to make things happen.... we will continue facing situations like today. Having possesion but doing nothing more than hoofing balls into the fray and pray for the best.

Thats not football, thats gambling...and Juventus is definitely bad at gambling.

KingGale

Il Barone
Dec 24, 2012
There is naturally a lot of disappointment and kneejerk reactions but I also share the belief we aren't too far from being able to compete with the best. I honestly think it's a case of mentality (and tactics) more than ability, which we obviously have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)