Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #42
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    Well,well, well.

The teams with the five largest home TV audiences avoid each other.:(
    The smell waffting from uefa is drifting my way and it reaks :fero:
    Why am I not surprised by the outcome of this draw?
    Oh please ... what did they do now? Put five balls in the microwave and the other five in the fridge?

Don't go on like that just because you're unsatisfied with the draw. Doesn't show a great deal of good sportsmanship.

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    I like the draw! I hoped Holland and Turkey and Spain would get a good draw, because a european championship without those team is not the same.

I hope Wales will qualify too

gray

Apr 22, 2003

Well,well, well.

Hmm I don't agree with you about the draw being fixed, but that's an interesting point...

Anders

Dec 13, 2002

Well,well, well.

Interesting... I actually predicted the draw, using that conspiracy theory. I dunno if it's been fixed, but it does smell... It wouldn't surprise me really.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I'm quite happy it turned out the way it did, I think it makes a lot of sense not to pit the best teams against it each other, and I don't think it makes any sense to get rid of the seeding in the first place.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Agreed, why get rid of seedings when the going gets tougher?

It's quite a logical draw, one we would've seen if the fixtures were decided with the interests of the competition in mind

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

Oh please ... what did they do now? Put five balls in the microwave and the other five in the fridge?

Don't go on like that just because you're unsatisfied with the draw. Doesn't show a great deal of good sportsmanship.

Any mathematicians here want to work out the odds of the five larger teams avoiding each other?

Strange...why do you think I'm dissatified with the draw, or that I'm a bad sportsman?

I really don't mind who Scotland got in the draw...I don't want them at the finals next year because they are so poor they would make us the laughing stock of the tournament...the competitions wipping boys.

And please don't assume that because we draw the Netherlands that we are trembling in our boots or that they were the team everyone wanted to aviod...if they were that good they would already be in the finals, and for that matter would have been at last years world cup...they ain't no big shakes anymore.

Spain would have swept us away, Croatia passed us off the park, and Wales overpowered us...Turkey was the team we wanted to avoid. We didn't want to go to Hell. In fact all the teams in the draw are better than Scotland.

To be honest I think the Dutch are more relieved at getting Scotland than we are dissapointed at getting the Netherlands. You would have struggled against most other teams

'nuff said

gray

Apr 22, 2003

And please don't assume that because we draw the Netherlands that we are trembling in our boots or that they were the team everyone wanted to aviod...if they were that good they would already be in the finals, and for that matter would have been at last years world cup...they ain't no big shakes anymore.

Spain would have swept us away, Croatia passed us off the park, and Wales overpowered us...Turkey was the team we wanted to avoid. We didn't want to go to Hell. In fact all the teams in the draw are better than Scotland.

To be honest I think the Dutch are more relieved at getting Scotland than we are dissapointed at getting the Netherlands. You would have struggled against most other teams

'nuff said
    I think you underestimate the Dutch, my friend... I think they'll do great at Euro 2004, if they can just pull together a little bit.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Agreed, why get rid of seedings when the going gets tougher?

It's quite a logical draw, one we would've seen if the fixtures were decided with the interests of the competition in mind

I think the point is that at the start of the tournament the rules stated that seedings would not be used, but when they saw the likes of Spain failing to qualify they wanted to change the rules mid way through.

I think most would agree that that is against the spirit of competition and parity...change the rules to suit yourself.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002

I think you underestimate the Dutch, my friend... I think they'll do great at Euro 2004, if they can just pull together a little bit.
    I'm not underestimating the Dutch...if they could bond they would be unstoppable. That's their problem. But Advoccat is not the man to do it.
    At Rangers the dressing room was split...he had players fighting other players all by his favouritism and nepotism towards certain stars. He didn't show great motivational skills nor man management talent.
    Who would drop Van Nistelroy because he was angry at getting taken off?
    Brave, but stupid. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Dutch are true superstars, but individuals, not a team. They could do with the Ajax coach in charge, or Wim Janssen. Then we would all be shaking in our boots

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++

Interesting... I actually predicted the draw, using that conspiracy theory. I dunno if it's been fixed, but it does smell... It wouldn't surprise me really.
    I wouldn't be brave enough to say it's fixed...just a strange co-incidence that's all

gray

Apr 22, 2003

I'm not underestimating the Dutch...if they could bond they would be unstoppable. That's their problem. But Advoccat is not the man to do it.
    At Rangers the dressing room was split...he had players fighting other players all by his favouritism and nepotism towards certain stars. He didn't show great motivational skills nor man management talent.
    Who would drop Van Nistelroy because he was angry at getting taken off?
    Brave, but stupid. Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

The Dutch are true superstars, but individuals, not a team. They could do with the Ajax coach in charge, or Wim Janssen. Then we would all be shaking in our boots
    That's true about Advocaat. It's sad to see the Dutch not fulfilling their potential, because by the time they get a decent coach, all the Ajax golden-boys will be gone and we won't see the best of them playing as one unit.

About van Nistelrooy, I agree, that's really stupid. Sure, he was trying to prove that no player is bigger than the team, but surely he should understand a player's frustration at being taken off. At least it shows that he cares about playing for the NT... you don't see Eriksson dropping all the players who threatened to strike...

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    IMO opinion seeding advantage should only be given only the group phase... the seeded teams that fail to use that advantage in that phase should not be given the luxury to get that advantage again in the playoff.... failing to qualify through the group means that they are not qualified to be seeded in the first place :stuckup:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
    IMO opinion seeding advantage should only be given only the group phase... the seeded teams that fail to use that advantage in that phase should not be given the luxury to get that advantage again in the playoff.... failing to qualify through the group means that they are not qualified to be seeded in the first place :stuckup:

Good points here aressandro...but if they had said at the begining that they intended to use seedings for the play offs then fair enough.

To be honest I couldn't care less about Scotland; they have let the fans down so many times in the past that the game against Lithuania on Saturday was the first time for years that they had a full stadium. But if I was, say a Wales fan, who haven't been to a major tournament for I don't know...fifty years, and they are now so close, but they had changed the system to seedings rather than a straight draw, they could have got Scotland rather than Russia...much better chance of going through

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002

That's true about Advocaat. It's sad to see the Dutch not fulfilling their potential, because by the time they get a decent coach, all the Ajax golden-boys will be gone and we won't see the best of them playing as one unit.

About van Nistelrooy, I agree, that's really stupid. Sure, he was trying to prove that no player is bigger than the team, but surely he should understand a player's frustration at being taken off. At least it shows that he cares about playing for the NT... you don't see Eriksson dropping all the players who threatened to strike...

All true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)