Euro2004: the play-off draws (1 Viewer)

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by aressandro10 ] ++
i consider Turkey as a young, fast and exciting team...kinda of like south korea... so i want them to prove it at european level

i hate alpay though...:hate:
I just think they're a disgrace to their country...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
i consider Turkey as a young, fast and exciting team...kinda of like south korea...
:extatic::angel::D:extatic::angel::D

:confused:
hehe, ignore me... i was just having a go at your tautology:

IMO opinion
In my opinion opinion...

;)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Bongiovi ] ++

I just think they're a disgrace to their country...

Have you seen the video from inside the tunnel at half time yet Bongiovi?
Handbags?...I think not. Someone is gonna get hit with a pretty big fine from uefa:eek:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Handbags?...I think not. Someone is gonna get hit with a pretty big fine from uefa:eek:
I haven't seen it. It'd be interesting to, though. Was it heavy, push-the-bastard-against-the-wall-by-the-neck action?

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

:extatic::angel::D:extatic::angel::D

hehe, ignore me... i was just having a go at your tautology:

In my opinion opinion...

;)
my mind was saying In My OWN opinion... so my hand just type it without editing... please dont start on those grammar things.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

my mind was saying In My OWN opinion... so my hand just type it without editing... please dont start on those grammar things.
hehe i wasn't gonna start ;) I highly respect everyone's English here (as u can see by my thread the other day).

Just playin around :cheesy:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I haven't seen it. It'd be interesting to, though. Was it heavy, push-the-bastard-against-the-wall-by-the-neck action?
This is all allegedly:-

About ten-twelve people, players, cops, officials, stewards are in a massive "huddle", all throwing each other about. Unfortunately for England, it's only their players numbers we can see. Then it looks like an England player out of sight puts his hand over the camera. Although no punches are seen to be thrown tempers are certainly up. One England player (not Becks) is seen trying to climb over an official to get to somone else and he really manhandles the guy out of the way...then a team of heavies move in and the camera is thrown about a bit...

All good clean family stuff...nothing to be worried about

I don't think the England players needed anymore motivation after this.
Well done

I wouldn't mind Turkey going thro' though as they have a great style of footie

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I heard Heskey's having video evidence reviewed, for reports about his conduct. I'm surprised at that, Heskey doesn't seem like a rough guy, more of a gentle giant... hmmm...

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
HAHA Yeah I saw it last night on Turkish Television, my friends are from Turkey and I was at their house.....great that they have uncensored TV!!!...I think Ashley Cole was the guy trying jump over some other England players....but yeah....All you could see was England shirts and numbers!!!!!

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002

haha, yeah I think they should both be fined!!!!!!! although it did liven up a really boring match!

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
i consider Turkey as a young, fast and exciting team...kinda of like south korea... so i want them to prove it at european level

i hate alpay though...:hate:

Looks like Alpay has been dropped by Turkey as well as his club.
The latest news seems to be that he has played his last game for Turkey:eek:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
TURKEY COACH GUNES GIVES ALPAY BOOT

Turkey coach Senol Gunes has said that under-fire central defender Alpay will not play for his country again.

"Alpay cannot play for the national team under these circumstances," said Gunes. "We have to abandon a player who did wrong but served for 10 to 15 years by expressing our gratitude."

The centre-back has made 83 appearances for his country and starred in their run to the 2002 World Cup semi-finals.

Alpay had earlier tried to play down his bust-up with David Beckham and the subsequent fracas that marred the Euro 2004 qualifier with England.

"What happened in the tunnel was nothing really," claimed the defender.

"I tripped down some stairs and fell over. Something then happened behind me. It is forgotten now. He (referee Pierluigi Collina) made us shake hands and then hug each other."

Alpay had been conspicuous by his absence from Aston Villa's training ground on Tuesday, fuelling speculation he may be forced out of the club.

The Turk was given permission to miss training, and with centre-half Ronny Johnsen back to full fitness, reports suggest he might be offloaded next January when the transfer window re-opens

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #79
    Any mathematicians here want to work out the odds of the five larger teams avoiding each other?

Strange...why do you think I'm dissatified with the draw, or that I'm a bad sportsman?
    By stating that all the big teams had draw little teams, you indirectly said that you think Scotland is a much lesser team than Holland and of course anyone would want his country face a lesser team than their own.

I really don't mind who Scotland got in the draw...I don't want them at the finals next year because they are so poor they would make us the laughing stock of the tournament...the competitions wipping boys.
    That's almost good enough, but not quite. C'mon! It's easy, is it not? Playing the victim! Get behind your team already and shout them past the Dutch you couard!

And please don't assume that because we draw the Netherlands that we are trembling in our boots or that they were the team everyone wanted to aviod...if they were that good they would already be in the finals, and for that matter would have been at last years world cup...they ain't no big shakes anymore.
    Couldn't agree more.

Spain would have swept us away, Croatia passed us off the park, and Wales overpowered us...Turkey was the team we wanted to avoid. We didn't want to go to Hell. In fact all the teams in the draw are better than Scotland.
    Latvia better than Scotland? Russia better than Scotland? Wales better than Scotland?

Do you have a self-esteem problem or what?

To be honest I think the Dutch are more relieved at getting Scotland than we are dissapointed at getting the Netherlands. You would have struggled against most other teams
    Again: I agree. And the national sentiment after that draw was relief, in the media, in the pubs, everywhere. Because Spain, Turkey and Croatia would have beat the crap out of us. With Scotland, we may actually stand a decent chance and still, there's no underestimating the Scots over here though. No-one is that foolish.

BOTTOMLINE: Scotland : Holland = 50% : 50%
    I mean, sure we have some great players here but they aren't a team. Ireland proved that you can easily eliminate Holland as long as you make a common effort as opponent. Something Scotland specializes in, I've been told.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
    By stating that all the big teams had draw little teams, you indirectly said that you think Scotland is a much lesser team than Holland and of course anyone would want his country face a lesser team than their own.
    I never stated anything about any team...I mearly made comment on the fact that amazingly, defying the odds, the rated teams play the unrated... unsexy... unfavoured... smaller TV viewing potential teams.
    Scotland ARE a lesser team than Holland, but so are all of the four other teams I rate as the smaller nations...(even Wales)...nothing specific here about Scotland or The Netherlands...so how does this make me unsporting or dissatisfied with the specific outcome of the draw ( the process behind the draw yes, but not the actual draw results themselves )

That's almost good enough, but not quite. C'mon! It's easy, is it not? Playing the victim! Get behind your team already and shout them past the Dutch you couard!
    Like most Scottish Club teams...the Scotland NT don't deserve their fantastic fans. I'm not a victim, I'm a dissallusioned former NT fan...they really are crap. When the SFA appointed Andy (who?) Roxburgh to NT team coach we were shocked...the result, the team sucked; when the SFA appointed Craig (who?) Brown as NT coach we were dismayed...the result, the team sucked. At least now they are trying something new and I wish Bertie well...but the team still suck...although they do try unlike recent teams
    As for being a coward...don't understand the analogy...only scared of being made fools of in Portugal...more than our pride could take

Latvia better than Scotland? Russia better than Scotland? Wales better than Scotland?

Do you have a self-esteem problem or what?
    No, I have a reality trait which I can't ignore here. Remember, Scotland had to come from 2-0 down against the Faroe Island at the begining of this campaign for a draw. They lost away from home to Lithuania and were extremely fortunate to beat mighty Iceland home and away. On Saturday, the best team on the park was Lithuania...they had more attacks on target and off target, more attractive football, the full works...but less luck.
    Scotland are 66th in the world...that's flattering...they should be lower.

IMHO Russia and Wales are superior in all positions.
    We may have been to 8 WC's and I think 3 EC's but that's in the past. When you watch Wales they have good players in all positions...we don't,we suck

BOTTOMLINE: Scotland : Holland = 50% : 50%
    Nah...Scotland are so poor the Dutch will win home and away...not because they are a super team...but because Scotland do not have any real quality anywere on the pitch. The last decent performance I can remember was beating England 1-0 at Wembley years ago, and even then England had already won the match away from home at Hampden

Only good thing about Scotland is that the future looks good. We have a super under 18's and 21's. The 21's are the only British nation to get to the play off for the EC's, finishing top of their group ahead of Germany (how come they won their group but still have to play qualification play off's?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)