Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (29 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Woke up today with the

It's inevitable, supporting Juve has made me more 'Italien' over time. By the way I'm i the only one here that wakes up with the italian anthem playing in my head?
I am trying hard to support England but have the Italian anthem playing in my head lol.

My support for Juve actually came through Italy. But after moving abroad I find it beyond me to support a foreign national team that I have no connection with.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I am trying hard to support England but have the Italian anthem playing in my head lol.

My support for Juve actually came through Italy. But after moving abroad I find it beyond me to support a foreign national team that I have no connection with.
What do you mean no connection? Juve is the connection, duuh.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
This is always gonna be weird to me. I mean, a club is just a club, especially these days it’s all foreign players. A national team still represents a people, a country and a flag so I can’t wrap my head around that.

I can understand someone living in said country, embracing their culture, language and people but a guy on the other side of the world who doesn’t even understand the language going “that’s my national team” is just weird.
How can you not see the pragmatic connection despite disagreeing with the romantic one

Italy success = JJ players exposed to success + Serie A exposed to success -> JJ and Serie A gain reputation and become more attractive to players, talents, investors and broadcasters -> JJ and Serie A improve on the pitch and financially = JJ success

Italy success = JJ success

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
If it wasn't for England being in the final then I wouldn't give two shits about who would win. I have no deeper feelings at all for the Italian national team and don't care for them, but as long as England doesn't win then everything else is better.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
This is always gonna be weird to me. I mean, a club is just a club, especially these days it’s all foreign players. A national team still represents a people, a country and a flag so I can’t wrap my head around that.

I can understand someone living in said country, embracing their culture, language and people but a guy on the other side of the world who doesn’t even understand the language going “that’s my national team” is just weird.
The same [lack of] logic as with clubs applies here, you just take an interest in something, immerse yourself and pick a side. I don't see how it's any different for a Brazil guy to support Juventus in Serie A or Champions League to supporting Italy at European Championship. If he cares who's the Italian champion and European champion on club level, it's not strange that he'd care about European champion on nt level.

The discussion becomes interesting when it's someone opting to support a different nation in a tournament his own country is participating in, but I don't think there's a rule that forces you to care for your country, especially in matters as trivial as football :D

Last edited:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

100% agreed. And always will be weird and nonsensical. It's the whole basis of international football.

- - - Updated - - -

How can you not see the pragmatic connection despite disagreeing with the romantic one

Italy success = JJ players exposed to success + Serie A exposed to success -> JJ and Serie A gain reputation and become more attractive to players, talents, investors and broadcasters -> JJ and Serie A improve on the pitch and financially = JJ success

Except it's more like:

Italy succeeds in Euros -> Everyone loves their players again -> Juventus overpays for the next Bernardeschi -> Juventus fall into debt -> Calcio is still stuck with backwards stadiums and fans

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Btw I imagine there will be a minority of England fans who will boo the Italian anthem thinking it will affect them, but all it will do is make them more determined.
Maybe but it will be temporary, for a few minutes at the start but as the game on I doubt that fuel will stay, it never made a difference on the day to Denmark, i doubt it will last long enough to impact the game for Italians either. The English crowds really know how to make an opposition team feel unsettled, especially when they have a good spell, the noise is deafening and no doubt some of the mentally weak players like Berardi, Insigne, and Di Lorenzo will feel it more than the others.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
The same [lack of] logic as with clubs applies here, you just take an interest in something, immerse yourself and pick a side. I don't see how it's any different for a Brazil guy to support Juventus in Serie A or Champions League to supporting Italy at European Championship. If he cares who's the Italian champion and European champion on club level, it's not strange that he'd care about European champion on nt level.

The discussion becomes interesting when it's someone opting to support a different nation in a tournament his own country is participating in, but I don't think there's a rule that forces you to care for your country, especially in matters as trivial as football :D
A country still holds a flag, an anthem, a history that goes way back and beyond the sport unlike a club. You’re supporting a country and its history. A club is still just a football club and if you go back to when foreign players were allowed you had to expect gaining foreign supporters as a result.

Don’t get me wrong though I have a soft spot for many national teams like Croatia and the Netherlands and had nothing but joy to watch them in the past. But as you said if my home country or my chosen home which I consider to be my country more than where I was actually born is playing its unthinkable to support anybody else. In the end you’re right, there is no rule forcing anybody anything but it’s still weird to me.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012

What is more likely to happen is Italian players will consider playing in foreign leagues just like how the Spanish and very recently, German players started to switch leagues to play for the richest teams.
Attracting investment in a broke, backwards league with a corrupt federation and racist fans seems like a distant dream.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
100% agreed. And always will be weird and nonsensical. It's the whole basis of international football.

Italy succeeds in Euros -> Everyone loves their players again -> Juventus overpays for the next Bernardeschi -> Juventus fall into debt -> Calcio is still stuck with backwards stadiums and fans
no, see:
What is more likely to happen is Italian players will consider playing in foreign leagues just like how the Spanish and very recently, German players started to switch leagues to play for the richest teams.
Premfaces are gonna buy the next Bernaguti

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006

Depends on how high you hold patriotism, for me, the world is too small to feel patriotic about. Don't get me wrong i'd always want good for England in terms of economy. However sports is a different matter, i dont feel one should be obligated to support their own country, vast majority do, but you support with your heart and by supporting Juve my heart is Italien.

- - - Updated - - -

Attracting investment in a broke, backwards league with a corrupt federation and racist fans seems like a distant dream.
Yeah its not like the french league got any better when their top players left for premier league. In a way i guess we'll just become a more recognized farming nation.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

No one is saying "that's my national team", we are saying "that's the national team I like and cheer for in international football".

Strickland

May 17, 2019
A country still holds a flag, an anthem, a history that goes way back and beyond the sport unlike a club. You’re supporting a country and its history. A club is still just a football club and if you go back to when foreign players were allowed you had to expect gaining foreign supporters as a result.

Don’t get me wrong though I have a soft spot for many national teams like Croatia and the Netherlands and had nothing but joy to watch them in the past. But as you said if my home country or my chosen home which I consider to be my country more than where I was actually born is playing its unthinkable to support anybody else. In the end you’re right, there is no rule forcing anybody anything but it’s still weird to me.
It's just entertainment, relax and enjoy the footie, it's definitely not always about supporting a country and it's history. I wouldn't be surprised if theres hundreds of loonies who support Italy just because they like pizza or super mario. :D

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

Italy is my national team.

Now what old man.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Off the pitch its interesting to see how much fun the English players have had in euros, they've had fun on the basketball court with Southgate, golf, swimming with unicorns (gays), plenty of PlayStation (FIFA, Fortnite), jacuzzi and just having a laugh in general. Italy has been in a way no different, united as a group by what they do off the pitch. Although this week ive seen Italy have a barbeque, spent time in the gym and just a lot less of the glamorous stuff their opponents are doing. Being relaxed before the final is definitely the key, looking back at some of our CL finals i could tell the buildup was so wrong, we spent more time training than just having fun or days off altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read three Journalists returning from England have been tested positive with Covid. They were present in Coverciano. hopefully its contained, nothing could be worse than missing players in the final.

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Being relaxed before the final is definitely the key, looking back at some of our CL finals i could tell the buildup was so wrong, we spent more time training than just having fun or days off altogether.
It was either in Pirlo's or Gattuso's book but on the day of 2006 WC final they were playing PS2 and went on a road trip and got lost and Inzaghi was farting in the car or some shit. Gotta take your mind off it so you don't burn out when the actual final comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)