Euro 2012 LIVE (26 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I agree, he definitely has a higher ceiling than Robben, who imo is a real choker(i do not use that term loosely), but Nani really needs to work on his consistency. United fans will tell you he is probably their most frustrating players, because they know that if he were consistent throughout a season, he'd be one of the top players in the world.
I can see where you're coming from. But I have seen Nani play games in which he was good in pretty much every aspect of the game. I can't say the same about Robben. Like you said though, there is definitely a reason Nani spent a great deal of time on the bench this season. I really don't like United and even I think he's a frustrating player, because I always expect him to make his big breakthrough and it just doesn't happen. I'm liking his performances this tournament though.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
Nani better then Robben :rofl:

Robben makes every leftback shits his pants.

Nani has a few good moves but I can't remember when he took his team to a win in a big game.

Robben proofed himself as a big player more often then nani.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Nani better then Robben :rofl:

Robben makes every leftback shits his pants.

Nani has a few good moves but I can't remember when he took his team to a win in a big game.

Robben proofed himself as a big player more often then nani.
I agree with this. But Seven is right in saying that he has more in his locker than Robben. Robben is a more predictable player than Nani, he's a lot more selfish than Nani, in fact he's one of the most selfish players ever, he cannot play with his right unlike Nani who can play with both feet, he doesn't have such a high footballing IQ imo, he rarely ever sees his teammates movements around him, and most of all he chokes when the going gets tough.

Nani has not proven himself on a consistent basis, his most consistent season was perhaps the 2010-2011 season, but other than that he hasn't shown his ability consistently. That has been his biggest downfall, and for that you could perhaps make a stronger argument for Robben being the more proven player and hence the better player (until now at least), that being said, i think Nani has a higher ceiling and if he can start being more consistent, he can really be world class and can be better than Robben imo

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
I agree with this. But Seven is right in saying that he has more in his locker than Robben. Robben is a more predictable player than Nani, he's a lot more selfish than Nani, in fact he's one of the most selfish players ever, he cannot play with his right unlike Nani who can play with both feet, he doesn't have such a high footballing IQ imo, he rarely ever sees his teammates movements around him, and most of all he chokes when the going gets tough.

Nani has not proven himself on a consistent basis, his most consistent season was perhaps the 2010-2011 season, but other than that he hasn't shown his ability consistently. That has been his biggest downfall, and for that you could perhaps make a stronger argument for Robben being the more proven player and hence the better player (until now at least), that being said, i think Nani has a higher ceiling and if he can start being more consistent, he can really be world class and can be better than Robben imo
I don't agree, Robben in the right form is WC and he proofed that more then once in his career. Nani is just a regular good winger nothing more then that.
In 2010 people called Robben not far away from Messi and Ronaldo. Right now Robben isn't in the right shape and get criticize heavily in Germany and in Holland no human can just think that is nothing and go on.

But if you look in the past Robben proofed himself and in a good shape Robben is easily in the top 5 best players in the world.
Nani on the other hand will never reach that in my eyes, cos he is inconsistent and often goes casper in the big games.
it is not like nani is 20. if you compare them at their same age. Robben proofed him self much more as one the important players in his teams, while nani is always behind Rooney (man united) and Ronaldo (portugal) and if I remember correctly Nani has been pure shit this tournament too. I don't even remember that he played well in any big tournament.
And a team has nothing with an off form Nani, while an off form Robben still is doubled marked and opponents fear him.

I don't think Nani has more potential or ever will achieve the same Robben did.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I dont think the Sweden-Denmark game was fixed, in the sense that they agreed before the game that they would play 2-2.

I think they played a normal game, but when the score got to 2-2 nobody had the incentive to try to score another goal, because they were both through it was riskier to attack and to risk not qualifying at alll than to sit back and wait for the game to finish.

Thats not fixing a game, thats two teams having nothing to play for and being happy with the result rather than taking more risks.
When the entire stadium is full of banners reading "2-2, Ciao Italia" and "2-2 No More Spaghetti", the least the UEFA could have done was open a formal investigation and think real hard about what they could have done to prevent situations like this. I really believe that was a fixed game. The entire atmosphere surrounding that game was "let's throw Italy out".

All that being said though, Italy were exceptionally poor that tournament in my opinion.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
May 23, 2010
@Fred i've always rated Van Bommel, but the guy looks toothless nowadays, he also has lost much of his stamina and doesn't cover a lot of ground anymore. Don't think he can handle all that running he would need to do with the little defensive help he gets from his attacking teammates.

He will get overrun.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
May 23, 2010
Who will start? Van der vaart? He's a better choice, I agree.

Though your MF might be a little weak in he defensive aspect then, unless your wingers track back a little more.

Anyway, Willems is in for having a nightmare game vs Nani and if (big if) Ronaldo decides to show up, Van Der Wiel will get demolished.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
I would prefer Nani over Robben in my team. Robben frustrates the crap out of me, he shoots at the worst times. His game in the CL final was just horrid to watch.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
Who will start? Van der vaart? He's a better choice, I agree.

Though your MF might be a little weak in he defensive aspect then, unless your wingers track back a little more.

Anyway, Willems is in for having a nightmare game vs Nani and if (big if) Ronaldo decides to show up, Van Der Wiel will get demolished.
Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Willems; De Jong, Van Bommel/Van der Vaart; Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder; Huntelaar.
likely van der vaart will start
I am not scared for portugal we need to attack to win.
van der Wiel annoys the shit out of me, I don't like him at all. :andy2:

The only thing I am scared for we will again miss all the clear cut changes.
I would prefer Nani over Robben in my team. Robben frustrates the crap out of me, he shoots at the worst times. His game in the CL final was just horrid to watch.
I will always pick Robben above Nani

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
When the entire stadium is full of banners reading "2-2, Ciao Italia" and "2-2 No More Spaghetti", the least the UEFA could have done was open a formal investigation and think real hard about what they could have done to prevent situations like this. I really believe that was a fixed game. The entire atmosphere surrounding that game was "let's throw Italy out".

All that being said though, Italy were exceptionally poor that tournament in my opinion.
Im sure the fans wanted that score, but I doubt the players wanted that exact score before the game. Both probably came for the win. But when the score came to 2-2 why would any of them continue attacking and risk conceding themselves?

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Stekelenburg; Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Willems; De Jong, Van Bommel/Van der Vaart; Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder; Huntelaar.
likely van der vaart will start
I am not scared for portugal we need to attack to win.
van der Wiel annoys the shit out of me, I don't like him at all. :andy2:

The only thing I am scared for we will again miss all the clear cut changes.

I will always pick Robben above Nani
I think Portugal have an edge.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Im sure the fans wanted that score, but I doubt the players wanted that exact score before the game. Both probably came for the win. But when the score came to 2-2 why would any of them continue attacking and risk conceding themselves?
I don't know. Everything felt as if it was more or less fixed. What I believe happened is that there was no prior agreement. Rather the game started and the players themselves agreed, during the game, that 2-2 was good for both teams. Even if it wasn't fixed it was still a spectacularly immoral show. And for Swedish players to loathe the Italians afterwards..

It has truly made me hate the Swedish national team ever since. That a lot of media, the Swedes as well, then claimed that they couldn't have cheated because they were Scandinavians is something I'll never forget either. Besides, the Swedes are far from a friendly team, against Ukraine they also scored while the other team had a man down and it's far from the first time I've seen them do it. The Danes are a different story. Even if Poulsen was a complete ass in the first game, the Danish are less quick to attack other nations with obvious bigotry ("only Italians cheat").

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think Portugal have an edge.
Depends, Portugal excell at counter-attacking football, their best two players are fast wingers, who need space. Since they'll be given the chance to play that style could be a big advantage.

I've also read that RVP will start behind Huntelaar and Sneijder will play on the left wing, thats the same role Ranieri played him in which didn't suit him.

Portugal are a good team but none of their wingers (really none) do any defensive work and dont track back (mainly Ronaldo, he's stays way too high up), which is needed at this game. Ronaldo will be a big factor in this game I think, if he's going to perform decently Portugal may have the edge.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I see that some people still think that Denmark - Sweden [maybe] was fixed.

I must laugh. Anyone who saw the game and knows a bit about the corruption level in Denmark and Sweden can't think that the game was fixed.

But I guess if you live in a country where corruption is a part of everyday life then it makes a bit more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)