[EU] Uefa Cup 04-05 (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I watched the Sporting-Alkmaar game last night. Sporting was pouring on all the attacks, but Alkmaar's counterattacks seemed even more dangerous. But Mauricio Pinilla's goal in the 79th... whoah! That had to be at least 30m out, and it seemed to just sneak past the goalie because he wasn't expecting something from that deep and his reactions couldn't catch up.

Geof

May 14, 2004
anyone saw AZ-Sporting?

2-1 at FT.

1st extra time no goals.
2nd extra time: AZ made it 3-1 , and in the last minute Sporting made it 3-2. Sporting are through on away goals.

I feel sorry for Dutch teams. AZ were heroic tonight, really. They were fighting like bulls in the heavy rain. I almost cried.

Too bad for Parma 2.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Watching the highlights later this evening. UEFA Cup is being given coverage around here only because Sporting have a Nigerian, Joseph Enakhire playing for them, or else...

UEFA have a lot of work to do to shore up that tourney!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Kind of stupid how Parma totally threw the UEFA Cup. I really don't think they're gonna get relegated even if they field a decent lineup in Europe

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think that says a lot about how much respect the UEFA Cup is given these days. It's starting to make the Coppa Italia look like a prize pig.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
I think that says a lot about how much respect the UEFA Cup is given these days. It's starting to make the Coppa Italia look like a prize pig.
:rofl:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Greg, you should remember that Parma have more to lose from relegation than they have to win from the Uefa Cup. They have maintained the season objective is to avoid relegation and that hasn't changed. In any case, they have done amazingly well and they had to lose sooner or later, CSKA is a really strong team.

But about the status of the Uefa Cup, it would help significantly if Uefa themselves didn't profile it as back yard mickey mouse trophy. Just by looking at uefa.com, any newbie would conclude that the CL is the only one they care about. Match reports and post game data from Uefa games is scarce and it's late, there's much less coverage etc.

Aug 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++

I feel sorry for Dutch teams. AZ were heroic tonight, really. They were fighting like bulls in the heavy rain. I almost cried.
Lol, I nearly cried out of pity for PSV :D

Quite upsetting that Parma lost ... Although I thought they did well to hold CSKA in the 1st leg considering the limited team they had. A dull game though that was

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Greg, you should remember that Parma have more to lose from relegation than they have to win from the Uefa Cup. They have maintained the season objective is to avoid relegation and that hasn't changed. In any case, they have done amazingly well and they had to lose sooner or later, CSKA is a really strong team.

But about the status of the Uefa Cup, it would help significantly if Uefa themselves didn't profile it as back yard mickey mouse trophy. Just by looking at uefa.com, any newbie would conclude that the CL is the only one they care about. Match reports and post game data from Uefa games is scarce and it's late, there's much less coverage etc.
True on both counts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)