[EU] Uefa Cup 04-05 (13 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Wild set of matches has made this competition interesting for me. Parma's sub side (seems like they're resting their starters to keep a shot at avoiding Serie A regulation) managed to go through on a goalless draw at home against Austria. I love this team even when they're playing subs... :confused:

And Sporting continues their bid to be a "home" club for the final with an impressive 4-1 comeback win over Newcastle. Things looked dicey after Dyer's counterattack goal at 20' in. But after an equalizer before the half (with Sporting needing two more goals to go through), the goals started raining in with 20 minutes left.

Sep 28, 2002
cska got the easiest semifinal opponent in shape of parma. should parma insist on playing reserves i cannot see them stopping russians. alkmaar v sporting should be interesting. i'd give a slight advantage to the dutch though..

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
man, Parma played soooooooooo weak in both games. When they played in Vienna (I was in the stadium!) they had ONE shot on goal, that was deflected and went in. They didn't play better in Italy. They are fakers and I can't stand them. You guys should have seen the games. It was PURE Cantenaccio and a shame for people who like to see good football.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Parma coach Pietro Carmignani's preoccupation with his side's relegation battle will mean he again fields a weakened line-up for their UEFA Cup semi-final first leg clash against CSKA Moscow on Thursday.

The twice UEFA Cup winners, who have battled against financial problems since their parent company Parmalat ran into difficulties in 2003, are 19th in Serie A after a 3-0 weekend defeat by AC Milan.

Carmignani has rested key players throughout the competition, notably Italy striker Alberto Gilardino who has started just three of Parma's 12 games.

"Our priority right now is (the next league game against) Livorno, because avoiding relegation is the most important thing," Parma defender Daniele Bonera told the club's website.

"It is useless to win the UEFA Cup, if we are relegated to Serie B."

Australia international midfielder Mark Bresciano is suspended for the first leg at the Tardini stadium.

Parma and CSKA have met in the competition once before -- in the first round in 2002/03 when the Italians prevailed 4-3 on aggregate after clinching victory with a last-minute Adrian Mutu goal.

The Russian side will start favourites to reach their first European final on the strength of their excellent home form.

The only team left in the competition to have come in via the Champions League have notched home victories over AJ Auxerre, Partizan Belgrade and Benfica, scoring eight goals and conceding none.

Valery Gazzayev's side are without suspended Russian international midfielder Yevgeny Aldonin. Lithuanian full back Deividas Semberas is doubtful after suffering concussion in a Cup match last week.

The army club should be well rested after their league game against city rivals Torpedo on Sunday was postponed.

In Thursday's other semi, Portugal's Sporting have home advantage for the first leg against Dutch side AZ Alkmaar, who lost the 1980/81 final to Ipswich Town.

Sporting have not reached a European final since they beat MTK Budapest to win the 1963-64 Cup Winners Cup but have an extra incentive this season -- their Alvalade stadium will host the final on May 18.

Sporting captain Beto misses the game through suspension and will be replaced by Nigerian international Joseph Enakarhire.

Leading scorer Liedson has served his ban and the Brazilian will fancy his chances of adding to his eight UEFA goals against an injury-hit AZ side.

Unlike Sporting, the UEFA Cup represents AZ last hope of silverware from an excellent season which hit the buffers in the last month, a haul of just one point from five games allowing PSV Eindhoven to seal the title with games to spare.

Injuries have started to bite and AZ will miss winger Martijn Meerdink and defenders Joris Mathijsen and Jan Kromkamp. With central defender Barry Opdam suspended for his sending off in the quarter-finals against Villarreal coach Co Adriaanse will be forced to field an improvised back four.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)