[EU] Europa League 2013/14 (7 Viewers)

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
@DP84,I admit i exaggerated but considering they've been successful over two decades now,i cant quite see the trend changing, cycles or not.

Mar 10, 2009
And so? It's not that the thing that matters for them, rather the one they won the year before. If they didn't win that, you could not say that they had European pedigree, cause we knocked'em out earlier than usual to win that consolation Cup. And team like Milan and Arsenal, that in the years got repeatedly eliminated in Round of 16/QF and don't have a "second chance" should be considered worse than those eliminated in group stages? Not at all. EL is perfect for the likes of Sevilla, that can never have pretentions of winning the Big Ears. Then of course, if a team above average like Chelsea win it they won't throw it away, but they are not either doing parades in the city like the year before for the Champions League. I've read somewhere here that EL was considered more worthy than the Scudetto... I can understand the desire to win an European Trophy after so many years but let's not get unreal dudes, we can get better. How this year's unlucky CL conditioned some minds...

come 10 years in the future, the fact that we beat them 3-0 will become a forgotten memory, but winning the Europa League for Chelsea fans to remember. Look at the end of the day, I'm not saying this is anywhere good as the CL, but a trophy is a trophy, if the CL is really "beyond" us as Conte keeps reminding, then perhaps we should start focusing on winning the Europa League if we get another chance, which hopefully we won't

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
And what has NT got to do with anything? We're discussing their club teams performances in Europe.
And my point kinda still stands.Since the introduction of the Champions league/ Uefa cup format,the results are there to see.
The only point i was trying to make that ppl are quick to brush off this recent success as a golden generation of Spain yet history suggests they've been successful before when other countries were going thru golden periods.I exaggerated in getting my point across,hope ive cleared it now.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
come 10 years in the future, the fact that we beat them 3-0 will become a forgotten memory, but winning the Europa League for Chelsea fans to remember. Look at the end of the day, I'm not saying this is anywhere good as the CL, but a trophy is a trophy, if the CL is really "beyond" us as Conte keeps reminding, then perhaps we should start focusing on winning the Europa League if we get another chance, which hopefully we won't
Pff, doubt it. We've the record for number of EL won and no one cares about it. Our only European successes are considered the 2 CLs, even if there are other 9 International Cups in the Trophy Cabinet (who could be 10, but like real sportmen we refused the SuperCup 1985 cause Everton IIRC the team could not play, because WE like to win on the PITCH and sweat our trophies, not like someone else... Ever known this story?). And in 10 years I suppose that we won't care so much cause we already have won other CLs in that period. However, people rather remember epic performances than useless trophies (to make an example: matches like Madrid 2003, Ajax 97, Barcelona 03, are history in Italy, but if you ask someone about the 1990 UEFA there won't be the same big smiles on the face while talking about it. And in those times UEFA was even more prestigious than this shitty format EL).

feagojr

l'architetto
May 8, 2014
Has anyone read into the recent scandal with the doctor in spain and the blood bags that were found?
I think its called Operation Puerto or something .. talks about how the spanish golden generation in international football was aided by this doctor and his blood bags.
Also somewhere it says that messi was injected with some sort of drug that made his mind sharper , his body more quicker and sharper and he was able to do things that a normal player wouldnt be able to do.

alex_samatar

Feb 16, 2004
Italy had many good periods beside '90, as they were extremely successful during the '80 with Juve led by Platini, and Milan. They won 3 CL titles at that time, while Spanish clubs were struggling to get past quarters; before that you had Inter led by Herrera in the '60, and again Milan. Check the history mate, Spanish clubs weren't always successful as you've stated. Italians clubs on the other sides, along with Brits and Germans were dominating the stage. And their NT won one miserable trophy. If that's an illustration of being always successful nation than you've got some low standards. :wink:
You are right. Juve started the domination for Italian teams from 1985 it ended with Juve in 1999.
1985-1999 UCL Winners
English teams 1
Spanish teams 2
Italian teams 5
Let alone the Uefa cup and Uefa cup winners cup.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
@DP84,I admit i exaggerated but considering they've been successful over two decades now,i cant quite see the trend changing, cycles or not.
Many couldn't see that Italy's will finish, but it did, simple as that. They had abundance of quality, but at one point young talents were very hard to find and once the old guns started to lose their touch, there was no one to replace them. From the likes of DP, Totti, Vieri, Montella, Inzaghi, Zola, Baggio, Maldini, Baresi, Mancini, Ferrara... it came down to this current selection of players. Rather depressive for them if you compare with the previous names.

And what has NT got to do with anything? We're discussing their club teams performances in Europe.
And my point kinda still stands.Since the introduction of the Champions league/ Uefa cup format,the results are there to see.
The only point i was trying to make that ppl are quick to brush off this recent success as a golden generation of Spain yet history suggests they've been successful before when other countries were going thru golden periods.I exaggerated in getting my point across,hope ive cleared it now.
They didn't have consistency during the '90 to be on the same level as Italian clubs and finals absolutely do count, as these are good indicators of that. Italian clubs reached the CL final on 6 occasions, Spanish on 3; in the Uefa cup the difference was even bigger, as almost every year at least one Italian club managed to reach the final, from Juve, Parma, Inter, Lazio, Viola, Torino...

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
Loser mentality right there.
K, now. I'm pretty sure don't know you and I don't wanna waste time for a "guy" that writes such bullshits with no argumentation so randomly, and I don't even know why you wrote it since there's nothing "loser" in what I've written, maybe the opposite. You're wrong, but if I get started, you could think I'm gonna pay you too much attention, and that's really not worth it. Just have a good night, kid.

alex_samatar

Feb 16, 2004
The whole 70s and 80s Spanish teams won nothing. 0 UCL.
In one way they are overrated

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
You are right. Juve started the domination for Italian teams from 1985 it ended with Juve in 1999.
1985-1999 UCL Winners
English teams 1
Spanish teams 2
Italian teams 5
Let alone the Uefa cup and Uefa cup winners cup.
As I've said, they really can't be mentioned in the same line with Italy, and for that matter no nation can. During the '80 and '90 Italian clubs were dominating in every competition, reaching more than 20 finals, be it CL, Uefa Cup or Cup Winners Cup. Absolutely ridiculous notion to put Spaniards on the same level during those times.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
@DP,did i disagree? In Italy's golden period Spanish teams ended up winning 3 Cl's which means they were doing alright no? Better than most countries.
I never said they were 'competing' with Italy during thosr times,merely stating that they've found success before.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
K, now. I'm pretty sure don't know you and I don't wanna waste time for a "guy" that writes such bullshits with no argumentation so randomly, and I don't even know why you wrote it since there's nothing "loser" in what I've written, maybe the opposite. You're wrong, but if I get started, you could think I'm gonna pay you too much attention, and that's really not worth it. Just have a good night, kid.
The only one writting bullshit here are you.

Trying to find excuses for our failures.

Dominated Benfica :howler: reminds me of Celtic fans when according to them they "dominated us"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)