[EU] Europa League 2013/14 (3 Viewers)

alex_samatar

Feb 16, 2004
Just love Spanish teams' attitude towards cup competitions.
Sevilla,we're talking about a team that hasnt qualified for next yr's Champions league.
You cant say this is a golden generation of Spanish football,their teams have always been succesful in europe atleast in the last few decades.
A dacade of dominance. Italian teams had their time in the 90's.
Winning
3 UCL
5 Uefa Cup
3 Uefa Cup Winners Cup
5 Uefa Super Cup. And 5 times UCL runner-up.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
So we have a runner-up trophy too? :lol:
I dint suggest Italian teams havent been succesful,was merely stating the absolute fact that Spanish teams have always been successful and will continue to do so for years.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
Or how about not even being able to get close to it in your own stadium?
Let's get over it seriously, Europa League is just not a competition that suits our level. It would have been unreal if the first European win of this new winning course was an Europa League. We showed our worth by dominating befinca 150 minutes out of 180 and that's it. It was great to make experience and we'll notice it in the next CL. We should just all be sorry for all the opportunities missed out on CL, and that match at Madrid conditioned by the ref.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
A dacade of dominance. Italian teams had their time in the 90's.
Winning
3 UCL
5 Uefa Cup
3 Uefa Cup Winners Cup
5 Uefa Super Cup. And 5 times UCL runner-up.
Spain has good generation of players, incredible one in fact, but Italy's time will come, and it'll be sooner than some would expect. And yeah, Italy were the most dominant force in the '90, as these things come in cycles and just like Italy had their, beginning and the end, so will Spain.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
it's depressing to here that teams like Seville have had more prestige in Europe than us in the past decade :(
We had Calciopoli that screwed us for many years. But would you really believe that a minor trophy gives automatically prestige? It's better winning UEFAs by beating the likes of Rubin Kazan and Betis repeatedly rather than getting than results and playing well against opponents like Chelsea or Real in a greater competition and being respected and congratulated by them? If yes, we've got a different way of seeing football. I think it's more than a minor trophy to tell the whole story.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
We showed our worth by dominating befinca 150 minutes out of 180 and that's it. It was great to make experience and we'll notice it in the next CL. We should just all be sorry for all the opportunities missed out on CL, and that match at Madrid conditioned by the ref.
Loser mentality right there.

Mar 10, 2009
Spain has good generation of players, incredible one in fact, but Italy's time will come, and it'll be sooner than some would expect. And yeah, Italy were the most dominant force in the '90, as these things come in cycles and just like Italy had their, beginning and the end, so will Spain.
not any time soon, Rome wasn't built in a day, no pun intended.

Mar 10, 2009
We had Calciopoli that screwed us for many years. But would you really believe that a minor trophy gives automatically prestige? It's better winning UEFAs by beating the likes of Rubin Kazan and Betis repeatedly rather than getting than results and playing well against opponents like Chelsea or Real in a greater competition and being respected and congratulated by them? If yes, we've got a different way of seeing football. I think it's more than a minor trophy to tell the whole story.
1. rather win some European merit than none
2. Chelsea won the thing last year btw...

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I dint suggest Italian teams havent been succesful,was merely stating the absolute fact that Spanish teams have always been successful and will continue to do so for years.
They haven't been always successful. Real haven't won the CL for more than 30 years, Barca won only one in the '90 and other clubs were nonexistent. They were practically chokers 'till the end of millennium, along with their NT. For 2-3 decades they were the most ridiculous and overhyped nation, with England of course.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I wonder if this EL had been a 'minor trophy' had we gone on to win it?

- - - Updated - - -

They haven't been always successful. Real haven't won the CL for more than 30 years, Barca won only one in the '90. They were practically chokers 'till the end of millennium, along with their NT. For 2-3 decades they were the most ridiculous and overhyped nation, with England of course.
Why dont we mention that in Italy's best period i.e the 90s,Spanish team won 3 CL's in the same timeframe?
We cant attribute that to being Spanish golden generation can we? Far from it actually.

alex_samatar

Feb 16, 2004
Lol. I didnt mean like that, but can you imagine Juve, Milan and Sampdoria winning all those finals they lost. It would be 17 UCL for Italy today. I believe Italian teams are the best in the world tactically and defensively The only way they can come back and win is to build new Stadiums.

AlexOB

Apr 2, 2014
1. rather win some European merit than none
2. Chelsea won the thing last year btw...
And so? It's not that the thing that matters for them, rather the one they won the year before. If they didn't win that, you could not say that they had European pedigree, cause we knocked'em out earlier than usual to win that consolation Cup. And team like Milan and Arsenal, that in the years got repeatedly eliminated in Round of 16/QF and don't have a "second chance" should be considered worse than those eliminated in group stages? Not at all. EL is perfect for the likes of Sevilla, that can never have pretentions of winning the Big Ears. Then of course, if a team above average like Chelsea win it they won't throw it away, but they are not either doing parades in the city like the year before for the Champions League. I've read somewhere here that EL was considered more worthy than the Scudetto... I can understand the desire to win an European Trophy after so many years but let's not get unreal dudes, we can get better. How this year's unlucky CL conditioned some minds...

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I wonder if this EL had been a 'minor trophy' had we gone on to win it?

- - - Updated - - -

Why dont we mention that in Italy's best period i.e the 90s,Spanish team won 3 CL's in the same timeframe?
We cant attribute that to being Spanish golden generation can we? Far from it actually.
Italy had many good periods beside '90, as they were extremely successful during the '80 with Juve led by Platini, and Milan. They won 3 CL titles at that time, while Spanish clubs were struggling to get past quarters; before that you had Inter led by Herrera in the '60, and again Milan. Check the history mate, Spanish clubs weren't always successful as you've stated. Italians clubs on the other sides, along with Brits and Germans were dominating the stage. And their NT won one miserable trophy. If that's an illustration of being always successful nation than you've got some low standards. :wink:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)