[EU] Champions League 2008/2009 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Juve chief eyes European Cup

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Juventus President Giovanni Cobolli Gigli has spoken of his desire to beat Inter in the Champions League Final.

The Bianconeri returned to Europe's premier club competition at the first attempt after their promotion from the Second Division, finishing third in Serie A.

“Beating Inter in the final of the Champions League would be a sweet result,” the 63-year-old goaded.

The former director of publishing giant Arnoldo Mondadori was in provocative mood and expressed his satisfaction at Juventus' season.

“We have gone beyond our wildest expectations this year. There are many things that have pleased me.

“The qualification for the Champions League and our victories in prestigious games particularly stand out. I think, above all, the matches against Inter and Milan.”

Cobolli Gigli, who became President in June 2006 at the height of the Calciopoli scandal, was in no doubt as to which was the best result of the campaign.

“The comeback against the Rossoneri pleased me most,” he insisted.

Juventus were 2-1 down to Milan in April, but rallied to win 3-2 thanks to a brace from Hasan Salihamidzic.

On tour with the Bianconeri in China, Cobolli Gigli was keen to share his thoughts on Juventus' prospects next season.

“It will be tough in the preliminary stages of the Champions League, because some of our opponents - who are weaker than us - will benefit from Euro 2008.

“Their players will, perhaps, carry form from that tournament into games against us.

“Once we get through the preliminaries, we will be ready to face the greats of European football.

Speaking on the Juventus Channel, Cobolli Gigli also gave fans an idea of where the Bianconeri's priorities will lie next year.

“I would like it if we reached the final stages of the Champions League. If I had to choose between the Scudetto and the European Cup, I would take the latter.

“Why? Because we would like to add another one to our extraordinary trophy cabinet.”
[/FONT]

channel4.com
his last comment is priceless :bigscarf:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Alen... I apreciate the concern. I admit you are not worthy of being a moderator.

But some of the comments are at least a bit insightful.
Why lose time on arguing ?
Lets use it to support Wisla Krakow and their players Wojciech Łobodziński and MacPherlin Dudu Omagbemi.

ARMIA BIAŁEJ GWIAZDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
WIERNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

If i'm not wrong this is how Wisla supporters cheer for their team. Let us do it also.
And lets hurry up because in only 4 hours you stop being a Wisla supporter and you'll become a die hard Osasuna fan.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So Terry spat on a Utd player.

And this is bad because?
;)

Why lose time on arguing ?
Lets use it to support Wisla Krakow and their players Wojciech Łobodziński and MacPherlin Dudu Omagbemi.

ARMIA BIAŁEJ GWIAZDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
WIERNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

If i'm not wrong this is how Wisla supporters cheer for their team. Let us do it also.
And lets hurry up because in only 4 hours you stop being a Wisla supporter and you'll become a die hard Osasuna fan.
Alen, you're on a roll. :lol:

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I'm starting to appreciate the Champions League as a sort of footballer's "American Idol", where football clubs participate in a reality TV elimination contest to determine who will be crowned m_elayyan's favorite team for next year.
:lol:

To me the biggest tragedy in all this is that Lyon had the chance to establish themselves as the first and only French powerhouse (like Bayern if you will) and they almost did, but they didn't. :(
to be fair the first french powerhouse was st etienne, i hate lyon TBH. the french league was the most open, unpredictable league in europe before lyons donination. before that the champions could be relegation candidates next season and anybody could win the title

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I'm not sure how reliable this is :
http://tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=107064

But what is said there is this: The Bulgarian FA demands an exclusion of CSKA Sofia from the Champions League. CSKA are the Bulgarian champions and they have huge debt to the Bulgarian banks. UEFA will take a look at this in the following week.
What's interesting is that the author of the article claims that if CSKA won't play CL Qualifications, their place won't go to the second placed team from Bulgarian league but to the team with highest UEFA ranking among the teams that didn't qualify for CL this year.
Yeah, that team is AC Milan.

Looks like similar thing happened in 2006 during Calciopoli when Milan's place (Milan were originally sentenced not to play CL) was taken by the team with highest UEFA Ranking (Lens), but after the Italian FA gave AC Milan a green light to play CL, Lens lost the CL spot.

I'll take a closer look and see if this is possible or not, but if it is then i'm speachless.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
It would suck seeing the grandpas club in the CL.

and CSKA qualify for the CL, they get extra money, so why not let them get the money and pay of some of the debt?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Ok, this is what i found.
These are UEFA Champions League regulations

Article 1
1.01 - UEFA member associations may enter a certain number of clubs for the competition in accordance with their position in coefficient rankings in Annex la, drawn up in accordance with Annex II of these regulations. However, no association may enter more than four clubs.

Article 1
1.07 A club which is not admitted to the competition shall be replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic league championship of the same national association , provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the access list to the UEFA Club competitions (annex la) will be adjusted accordingly.

No worries. They'll play where they deserved to play. UEFA Cup :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not sure how reliable this is :
http://tuttomercatoweb.com/?action=read&id=107064

But what is said there is this: The Bulgarian FA demands an exclusion of CSKA Sofia from the Champions League. CSKA are the Bulgarian champions and they have huge debt to the Bulgarian banks. UEFA will take a look at this in the following week.
What's interesting is that the author of the article claims that if CSKA won't play CL Qualifications, their place won't go to the second placed team from Bulgarian league but to the team with highest UEFA ranking among the teams that didn't qualify for CL this year.
Yeah, that team is AC Milan.

Looks like similar thing happened in 2006 during Calciopoli when Milan's place (Milan were originally sentenced not to play CL) was taken by the team with highest UEFA Ranking (Lens), but after the Italian FA gave AC Milan a green light to play CL, Lens lost the CL spot.

I'll take a closer look and see if this is possible or not, but if it is then i'm speachless.
I knew a backdoor for AC Milan was coming. I just knew it.

Ok, this is what i found.
These are UEFA Champions League regulations

Article 1
1.01 - UEFA member associations may enter a certain number of clubs for the competition in accordance with their position in coefficient rankings in Annex la, drawn up in accordance with Annex II of these regulations. However, no association may enter more than four clubs.

Article 1
1.07 A club which is not admitted to the competition shall be replaced by the next best-placed club in the top domestic league championship of the same national association , provided it fulfils the admission criteria. In this case, the access list to the UEFA Club competitions (annex la) will be adjusted accordingly.

No worries. They'll play where they deserved to play. UEFA Cup :)
Ever hear of Liverpool making the fifth spot? :agree:

Check again. Milan is not out of the CL yet. They still have friends in high places.

It just goes to prove: Champions League qualification is a disgraceful sham. :(

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
I knew a backdoor for AC Milan was coming. I just knew it.

Ever hear of Liverpool making the fifth spot? :agree:

Check again. Milan is not out of the CL yet. They still have friends in high places.

It just goes to prove: Champions League qualification is a disgraceful sham. :(
When Liverpool went to CL through 5th spot they were champions and add to that whoever was in the fourth spot in the league wasn't admitted .. so still only four spots for England.. Same thing happened with Madrid back in 2002 or 2000 not really sure :) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)