[EU] Champions League 2008/2009 (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
greg .. //http://www.goalzz.com/main.aspx?c=414

that's the backdoor they used .. winning CL the previous ..

doesn't matter now that everything is clarified ..

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Not sure that is the correct move. They had been punished already (wether or not that punishment was ample is another issue)by the portguese football federation, you can't punish someone twice for the same crime.

That and it could set a dangerous precedent.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Why do you care ?? Dom?

Would that mean that Benfica will qualify or another rumor that Milan will get their place?

And if Benfica wouldn't qualify automatically, then I can say we're seeded in the second pot :)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Why do you care ?? Dom?

Would that mean that Benfica will qualify or another rumor that Milan will get their place?

And if Benfica wouldn't qualify automatically, then I can say we're seeded in the second pot :)
1. Benfica will take Porto's place, but Benfica won't play in CL groups directly, they'll have to play CLQ.
2. We'll certainly see more hillarious rumors about Milan taking Porto's spot.

Benfica are placed above us in UEFA standings and it makes no difference to us.
Guimaraes will profit a lot from this. They will get an automatic promotion to the group stages (if Porto weren't disqualified Guimaraes would have had to play qualifiers against a good team in the 3rd round) and they'll be the ones who'll take Porto's spot in CL groups.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
1. Benfica will take Porto's place, but Benfica won't play in CL groups directly, they'll have to play CLQ.
2. We'll certainly see more hillarious rumors about Milan taking Porto's spot.

Benfica are placed above us in UEFA standings and it makes no difference to us.
Guimaraes will profit a lot from this. They will get an automatic promotion to the group stages (if Porto weren't disqualified Guimaraes would have had to play qualifiers against a good team in the 3rd round) and they'll be the ones who'll take Porto's spot in CL groups.
Biggest winners, I guess ..

In which round will Benfica start? also 3rd with us ?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
In which round will Benfica start? also 3rd with us ?
Yes, they'll be one of the 16 holders in the third round. Since we're also holders we can't play them.

But now we also get our hopes higher (but not too much though).
Previously we needed one of Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool or Schalke 04 to be eliminated in the 3rd round in order to get into the 2nd pot.
This way we can add Benfica to the list. If one of Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool, Schalke or Benfica gets eliminated in the 3rd round, we'll be in pot 2. If all 5 of them pass the third round, then we'll be in pot 3.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, they'll be one of the 16 holders in the third round. Since we're also holders we can't play them.

But now we also get our hopes higher (but not too much though).
Previously we needed one of Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool or Schalke 04 to be eliminated in the 3rd round in order to get into the 2nd pot.
This way we can add Benfica to the list. If one of Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool, Schalke or Benfica gets eliminated in the 3rd round, we'll be in pot 2. If all 5 of them pass the third round, then we'll be in pot 3.
Yeah.. I guess .. slightly increased ..

But what is the difference between this situation and the Bulgarian situation? I mean didn't they say that the top ranking team will qualify instead and can't be Milan because Italy has 4 up there already ?

That rule doesn't make any sense the only countries that didn't complete their teams lists are the countries who had their teams disqualified .. right?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah.. I guess .. slightly increased ..

But what is the difference between this situation and the Bulgarian situation? I mean didn't they say that the top ranking team will qualify instead and can't be Milan because Italy has 4 up there already ?

That rule doesn't make any sense the only countries that didn't complete their teams lists are the countries who had their teams disqualified .. right?
Only a team from Portugal can take Porto's place and only a team from Bulgaria can take CSKA's place.
That's clear, Omair.

That bullshit with highest UEFA ranked team belongs to the past. With the new rules only a representative of the same association can take the place of the disqualified teams, no matter if it's the domestic FA or UEFA that disqualifies the teams.

If no team from a certain association gets a license to play CL then that spot remains empty.

Like i said, AC Milan can play in CL only if one of the Italian teams is disqualified.

P.S: Of course, that's only in case UEFA won't change the rules again and allow a 5th representative from a certain country.
But with Platini trying to reduce the number of teams from Italy, England and Spain, i really can't imagine it.

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Only a team from Portugal can take Porto's place and only a team from Bulgaria can take CSKA's place.
That's clear, Omair.

That bullshit with highest UEFA ranked team belongs to the past. With the new rules only a representative of the same association can take the place of the disqualified teams, no matter if it's the domestic FA or UEFA that disqualifies the teams.

If no team from a certain association gets a license to play CL then that spot remains empty.

Like i said, AC Milan can play in CL only if one of the Italian teams is disqualified.

P.S: Of course, that's only in case UEFA won't change the rules again and allow a 5th representative from a certain country.
But with Platini trying to reduce the number of teams from Italy, England and Spain, i really can't imagine it.
aha .. so it's just a matter of being not updated by the rules :p ..

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=723059

Champions League Dream In Tatters
Milan’s hopes of playing in next season's Champions League have been dashed after the Bulgarian FA (BFU) decided to give the UEFA license to Levski Sofia.

Il Diavolo appeared to have been handed a lifeline as Bulgaria’s FA has asked that champions CSKA Sofia be thrown out from the Champions League due to financial problems.

Reports suggested that Milan would be given the place as the highest UEFA ranked team not in the competition.

However, Rossoneri hopes have gone up in smoke as it has emerged that the Bulgarian authorities are likely to give the Champions League place to Levski Sofia leaving Milan with the UEFA Cup.

The Rossoneri failed to qualify for the Champions League after Fiorentina beat them to the all-important fourth placed finish.

Milan had been involved in the past six editions of the competition and now they will return to the UEFA Cup as they did back in 2001.

It was Milan’s less than vintage campaign this season in Serie A which proved to be their Champions League downfall.

There was another surge in hopes when Porto were removed from the competition this afternoon, but it is expected that fourth placed Benfica will get the spot.

The San Siro club will now have to wait until next year to get their chance in Europe’s elite club tournament but they have to ensure they improve their league form considerably if they are to achieve their Champions League ambition.

------------
;)

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
Yeah, or maybe because "AC Milan could play CL" sells more papers than "Levski to replace CSKA in CL"
:)
:lol: .. yeah .. and more URL hits :p

am I the only one who thinks this is too harsh?
wasn't "harsh" two years ago .. not harsh now .. i don't give a damn .. let them rot in hell if they're true bribers .. and if they faced injustice may the world never know until they know the injustice WE faced ..

Aug 1, 2003
easy there. it was different for juventus, we were relegated to B and our title was revoked so there was obviously no chance of cl. but in porto's case, what's their league punishment? if milan could get away with it why not porto? shit, they better start standardising all these kind of punishments and rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)