[EU] Champions League 2008/2009 (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
When Liverpool went to CL through 5th spot they were champions and add to that whoever was in the fourth spot in the league wasn't admitted .. so still only four spots for England.. Same thing happened with Madrid back in 2002 or 2000 not really sure :) ..
They weren't champions. They were sucking wind in 5th place in the EPL. They had no right to be in the Champions League through some back door.

Win or lose the CL the previous year has no bearing. If you cannot be bothered to at least place in the top 4 of your league that year, you have no business being in the "Champions League". That's the "Also Rans League".

Buy on AliExpress.com
Aug 1, 2003
Football has the uncanny ability to repeat history. That's when I knew Milan was going to win the CL as stupid as it may sound - they weren's supposed to be in CL either during calciopoli no? And they ended up winning it.

Same goes for the year Pool won in 2004 (?), it was a repetition of one year in the 80s i think with very similar result, and also Italy winning the world cup in 2006, similar to that of 1982 with the scandals.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
When Liverpool went to CL through 5th spot they were champions and add to that whoever was in the fourth spot in the league wasn't admitted .. so still only four spots for England.. Same thing happened with Madrid back in 2002 or 2000 not really sure :) ..
No england DID get 5 spots that year, everton got knocked out by Villareal in qualification though

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
No, Everton was in the CL.

Liverpool got the fifth spot. It was the only time where 2 teams from the same country were allowed in the same group (Chelsea and Liverpool were drawn in the same group)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Milan for Champions League?
Wednesday 4 June, 2008

Milan could sensationally be handed a place in the Champions League, as Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia face expulsion.

The Rossoneri were heartbroken when they were beaten to fourth place by Fiorentina last season and faced the indignity of sitting out the tournament they have made their own over the years.

But just as Milan’s fans and players got used to the idea of competing in the UEFA Cup, they may have been handed a lifeline.

Bulgaria’s FA has asked that champions CSKA Sofia are banned from the Champions League due to financial problems.

This would open up a space in the second preliminary round, which would be given to the side with the highest UEFA ranking that aren’t already involved in the competition – Milan.

There is a precedent for this kind of action, which also involves the Diavolo.

In 2006, Milan missed out on the Champions League due to the Calciopoli scandal but were reinstated into the third preliminary round on appeal – had the appeal failed Lens were ready to enter due to UEFA coefficient.

Should the world champions be allowed into the Champions League it may have vast implications for their summer transfer policy.

Aug 1, 2003
IF MILAN GETS TO BE IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON I'M GONNA FUCKING GO ON A RAMPAGE AND HUNT ANY MILANISTI THAT COMES MY WAY ! GRRR

oh who am i kidding. dammit, ill probably end up drowning in self pity instead.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Guys, don't worry.

In 2005/06 Liverpool made it to the CL as the 5th team from England. That's true.

But after this precedent, the CL regulations have changed exactly because UEFA wanted to make it sure that there will be no such things anymore. The CL regulations i quoted above are the new ones, from 2006.
Now there is no more opportunity for a certain association to have more than 4 clubs. Even if there is a situation like in 2005/06 when the tittle holder isn't among top4 in their domestic league, the 4th placed team from the domestic league is losing the CL spot in favor of the tittle holder.

Expect UEFA to make this clear today.
Milan will not play CL unless the Italian FA disqualifies one of Inter, Roma, Juve or Fiorentina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)