[EU] Champions League 2007/2008 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
I realise Werder had a lot of important players missing, especially in the middle because of Frings and Borowski, of course we can't forget Klose as well. But don't forget Dinamo lost their most important player in Da Silva, a man who scored 50 goals last season and is now playing for Arsenal. Add to that we also lost the most important player in our defense in Corluka, who now plays for Manchester City. So mind you, both teams were looking differently than usual and had a lot of important players missing. Trust me had Da Silva been there instead of that plonker Balaban, you could have easily had 3 goals in the back of your net and that's a fact.

Werder was lucky and from what I read in our newspapers, your media agrees that Werder was totally outplayed. I mean come on, your first goal was a gift from heaven, better yet our own moment of idiocy, and as Der Spiegel said Jensen's shot was a dream goal which goes in once in every 5 years. We had a lot of 100% chances, we had strikes from the outside, from the corners, we outplayed you in every aspect of the game.

Make no mistake, that's a quality of a big club like I said already, to be able to capitalise when most needed. We didn't do that and have no one else to blame but ourselves.

In two weeks if we manage to put in an effort like yesterday, I think we can seriously get into the CL. Problem is I don't think Werder will give us a chance like this anymore, it's obvious we were underestimated by them and they almost payed for that. I don't see this happening again in two weeks.

So what if he didn't play Coppa? Diego only played against Mexico from the first minute and they lost that game 2:0 and Diego got subbed at half-time if I remember correctly. All other games Diego played as a substitue without any real effect, he was one of the biggest disapointements there. Don't make it look like he did anything there, he hardly broke a sweat.

As for Modric, didn't do anything? He almost scored with a great shot outside the box in the first half, Wiesse saved it, he made numerous assists for us and was instrumental in organising the play for us. Not only that but he was everywhere on the pitch, both attack and deffense, one of the best players on the pitch. Please, give credit where it's due.

P.S. Sorry about that, I mixed up Jensen's and Almeida's goals.
I wrote about Copa Merica because that's the main reason Naldo and Diego are not ín form atm. I did not writethis because of his achievements. Maybe you are right about Modric, and I just did not realize because I was so pissed by Werder's performance in the first half. But Modric being better than Diego as a player? That's just crap. Modric is just a young talented player, nothing more atm.

About the injuries and stuff: I don't know whether you have seen anything of Werder's game vs Bochum on Saturday. It was crap. We are not in form, and we know why. The expected formation for this season looked like this:

-------------------Sanogo-------Rosenberg----------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------Diego-----------------------------
--------------Borowski-------------C. Alberto--------------
----------------------------Frings-----------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
----Womé--------Naldo-------Mertesacker--------Fritz--------
-----------------------------Wiese------------------------------

Like you said, important players are missing like Frings, Borowski and Womé.
Yesterday, we saw this:

--------------------Schindler---------Sanogo-----------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------Diego (Copa)----------------------------------
----------------------------------------C.Alberto (still not integrated)
--------------Baumann (returned from injury)----Andreasen-----
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-Schulz (wants to leave)-Naldo (Copa)-Mertesacker-Pasanen (returned from injury)
------------------------------------Wiese-------------------------------

Atm, we have problems to deal with this miserable situation. I think you can hardly compare this to Dinamo's situation. You could've smashed us yesterday, but I'm glad you did not, because, like I mentioned above, I was really afraid before this game.

Will you go to the 2nd leg?

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Sorry mate but Diego is hardly anything more than a talented player as well. Underachieved completelly for Porto, same for the NT, just had one good season for Bremen. Modric on the other hand is pivotal for the NT more than a year now and indispensible to his club. I'm not saying he's better but he's not far from it and I think he can easily stand side by side with him and most young midfielders in Europe ATM. Sure, he's in a mediocre leauge and in a mediocre club now so everyone's looking down on him, but we'll see after the winter transfer period or after next season when Modric makes his transfer. After a year from now, than we can talk about who's who.

I think you're making excuses for your side and not accepting the opponent's excuses. I realise Werder had a lot of misfortunes and they're out of form but trust me, it's easier for them to cope with a few injuries than it is for Dinamo to cope with the loss of such a player like Edurardo and Corluka. Your roster compaired to ours? Come on...Werder has the players to cover injuries and money to cover for sold players. Dinamo after loosing Eduardo bought Balaban and what a joke that is. Trust me Dinamo didn't have it any easier than Werder and it's questionable how they will cope this season, what we saw yesterday surprised everyone.

We had a great game yesterday, above all expectations and if I hadn't seen the game I would have thought the result is great for us, but after such a performance we didn't deserve to loose and that's what frustrates me.

I don't know yet, most likely I am, it's gonna be great, it will be a full packed stadium(which is a rare occurance here) so it's something I can't miss.

Did you go yesterday? Im glad our supporters didn't cause trouble this time.

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
Sorry mate but Diego is hardly anything more than a talented player as well. Underachieved completelly for Porto, same for the NT, just had one good season for Bremen. Modric on the other hand is pivotal for the NT more than a year now and indispensible to his club. I'm not saying he's better but he's not far from it and I think he can easily stand side by side with him and most young midfielders in Europe ATM. Sure, he's in a mediocre leauge and in a mediocre club now so everyone's looking down on him, but we'll see after the winter transfer period or after next season when Modric makes his transfer. After a year from now, than we can talk about who's who.
We'll surely do.

I think you're making excuses for your side and not accepting the opponent's excuses. I realise Werder had a lot of misfortunes and they're out of form but trust me, it's easier for them to cope with a few injuries than it is for Dinamo to cope with the loss of such a player like Edurardo and Corluka. Your roster compaired to ours? Come on...Werder has the players to cover injuries and money to cover for sold players. Dinamo after loosing Eduardo bought Balaban and what a joke that is. Trust me Dinamo didn't have it any easier than Werder and it's questionable how they will cope this season, what we saw yesterday surprised everyone.
I don't think you act any better in this point. You're frustrated by the loss, and talking about a few injuries is nowhere close to reality.

We had a great game yesterday, above all expectations and if I hadn't seen the game I would have thought the result is great for us, but after such a performance we didn't deserve to loose and that's what frustrates me.

I don't know yet, most likely I am, it's gonna be great, it will be a full packed stadium(which is a rare occurance here) so it's something I can't miss.

Did you go yesterday? Im glad our supporters didn't cause trouble this time.
No, I did not go. Tickets werde difficult to get, Werder invented some strange security system for this game, and so the stadium was only half-filled, pretty embarassing for us. Normally, our stadium is full most of the time. I'm probably going to the Stuttgart game at the end of September, if I won in the draw for tickets, which is another invention in Werder's ticket sales :tdown:.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I don't think you act any better in this point. You're frustrated by the loss, and talking about a few injuries is nowhere close to reality.

No, I did not go. Tickets werde difficult to get, Werder invented some strange security system for this game, and so the stadium was only half-filled, pretty embarassing for us. Normally, our stadium is full most of the time. I'm probably going to the Stuttgart game at the end of September, if I won in the draw for tickets, which is another invention in Werder's ticket sales :tdown:.
Yeah well I suppose it's hard to be objective now, while the emotions are still high. Looking forward to the rematch, I just hope our boys show something worthwhile again. :)

That's too bad, well enjoy Stuttgart, I hope your team does better and the result stays the same.

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
Yeah well I suppose it's hard to be objective now, while the emotions are still high. Looking forward to the rematch, I just hope our boys show something worthwhile again. :)

That's too bad, well enjoy Stuttgart, I hope your team does better and the result stays the same.
Thanks, vlatko. Nice to have talked to you here. Hope you can enjoy the 2nd leg ;).

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Thanks, vlatko. Nice to have talked to you here. Hope you can enjoy the 2nd leg ;).
I see blood in two weeks time.;)

I have to you two really knows how to behave in internet.:tup:

On Modric, I think vlatko has a point. Its hard to judge youngsters on fame at such a young age. There are many good ones, who just isnt famous, because (1) not everyone can be Brazilian, Argentinian or Italian, (2) havent been given the chance to succeed, and (3) develop comparatively lately. I can't say much Modric, but I liked what I saw from him. He got good techniques obviously. But his ability to move around the ball is also unbelievable for such a young player. I would love to see Juve pounce on him, if the likes of Diego, Quaresma, and Nasri join Inter, Real, Barca or Chelski.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I see blood in two weeks time.;)

I have to you two really knows how to behave in internet.:tup:

On Modric, I think vlatko has a point. Its hard to judge youngsters on fame at such a young age. There are many good ones, who just isnt famous, because (1) not everyone can be Brazilian, Argentinian or Italian, (2) havent been given the chance to succeed, and (3) develop comparatively lately. I can't say much Modric, but I liked what I saw from him. He got good techniques obviously. But his ability to move around the ball is also unbelievable for such a young player. I would love to see Juve pounce on him, if the likes of Diego, Quaresma, and Nasri join Inter, Real, Barca or Chelski.
Well I had to be careful, I couldn't afford to get too ahead of myself and than Werder crushes us on our home turf in 2 weeks time. Now how would that look? :D

Exactly right Jun, it's so much easier for young players to be noticed if they're Brasilian, Argentinian, Italian, etc., a few good performances and the whole world of football is opened to them immediatelly. We have a weak leauge and without CL for almost 10 years so no one even looks at here anymore, but then Slaven Bilic became coach of the NT and things changed a little. He was not afraid to give quality youngsters a chance to shine and expose themselves to the world in the senior NT. That's where Modric, Da Silva and Corluka caught their break, they were given a chance on the top stage and took it. Now half of Europe wants them and rightfully so, you can take my word on it.

Croatia, and Serbia as well, always had quality players throughout history, but the last few years players were destroyed by NT coaches for giving them no exposure and by their own desperation of chasing money and not a proper footballing career. Transfering from Croatia to Qatar, even Ukraine, is not much of a improvement now is it? Thankfully things changed for the better in the last year or so and I hold mainly Slaven Bilic responsible for that, he's not only running the NT succesfully but he's making quality players along the way. A top class act that guy is. :tup:

As for Modric, don't worry you'll see enough pretty soon. He has everything needed to become succesfull, talent, his head in the right place and a "never say die" attitude. What I like most about him is that he's a playmaker that actually DEFENDS and has quite a few stolen balls each match. He's really one of a kind.

Wow, that went on longer than I first thought. :p

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Platini hands it to Juve
Saturday 25 August, 2007

Michel Platini has not forgotten his beloved Juventus. “I would love one day to hand Juve the Champions League as President of UEFA.”

Le Roi remains a legend among the Bianconeri faithful and now that he has ascended the ranks to lead UEFA, he hopes they will cross paths again.

“In the infinite history of Juventus, Serie B represents only 30 difficult seconds between successes,” said the Frenchman of their Calciopoli aberration.

Platini scored 70 goals in 147 games for the Turin giants between 1982 and ’87, winning two Scudetti, the Coppa Italia, European Cup, Cup Winners’ Cup, Intercontinental Cup and European Super Cup.

He was elected President of UEFA in January and one of his duties was handing the Champions League trophy to Milan captain Paolo Maldini in Athens.

“I would love one day to hand Juve the cup as President of UEFA,” he told the ‘Gazzetta dello Sport.’

:touched:

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Simone Del Nero dives, and Rocchi scores from penlty.

Lazio nearly missed another one though. They are trying best to give away CL place. I hope they go through. With their water-thin depth, they will be exhausted by December playing both Europe and Serie A.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Rocchi - Pandev double act.

Roochi with delicious little back hill to let through Pandev, who under pressure gathered himself and cooly slotted in. Credit to Pandev, he could have just dived, and stood up got his reward for it.

Whatever Delio Rossi said after half time Lazio looks like a different team. Great man-manager IMO.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Rocchi scores. Lazio is picking parts from Dinamo. Before Rocchi scored, Pandev ran defenders around, and nearly scored from outside the box, as he hit outside of the post.

The biggest difference with first half is that Lazio is keeping ball better under pressure, and themselves pressing futher up the field with defenders keeping highl line. And Mudingayi, Ledemsa are players of real quality, especially Mudingayi.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
:D
good news, I made good vCash today, that's the only thing I care to be honest..

From Juve's fan's perspective I have mixed feelings

Sateeh is totally right in saying Lazio is a good team. I have been critical of their form last season, especially before, they started to tare the league. My main point was that Lazio had zero creativity in their team. But they are very compact and players possess exceptional understanding of each other. And with Pandev, they have game winner any team in Europe will envy. But their depth is razor thin. If they qualify for CL, I just cant imagine them doing well for entire season. They will loose all their moment if they proceed far, which is excellent news for our prospects of qualifying for CL, as long as Lazio dont win it all, which they wont.:D

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003

From Juve's fan's perspective I have mixed feelings

Sateeh is totally right in saying Lazio is a good team. I have been critical of their form last season, especially before, they started to tare the league. My main point was that Lazio had zero creativity in their team. But they are very compact and players possess exceptional understanding of each other. And with Pandev, they have game winner any team in Europe will envy. But their depth is razor thin. If they qualify for CL, I just cant imagine them doing well for entire season. They will loose all their moment if they proceed far, which is excellent news for our prospects of qualifying for CL, as long as Lazio dont win it all, which they wont.:D
Well i thought the same about Lazio in the beginning of last season but after they sold oddo they were much better.
So much creativity and flair in the team,which is something thats something very essential for those roman teams as without it their fans would turn on them.

Great amounts of credit goes to Rossi for establishing such a good unit which is very evident in their understanding between each other. I also admire the faith he has in his squad, as in the weekend he didn't have a starting defender with Siviglia, Stendardo out and he could've easily played Zauri or Scaloni there but he had faith in Diakete.Shame the latter got injured.

But i hope ranieri has the same faith in his players like Rossi and we will see that tomorrow in the coppa in the defense

Alltagsheld

Oct 10, 2006
Dinamo Zagreb 2-3 Werder Bremen

:weee:
And right into the 2nd pot. Great! Zagreb was pretty strong again but caused too many damn penalties (2). A draw would've been deserved but that would've also meant Werder would make it into the CL so who cares.

0-1 Diego (13.,pen.)
1-1 Vukojevic
1-2 Sanogo (38.)
2-2 Modric (41.,pen.)
2-3 Diego (70.,pen.)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
CL Report: Arsenal Comfortably Through To Group Stage

ARSENAL 3-0 SPARTA PRAGUE

Arsenal encountered little resitance from Sparta Prague at the Emirates Stadium tonight, easing through the second leg of their Champions League Third Qualifying Round tie 3-0, for a 5-0 aggregate triumph.

An eighth minute goal by Tomas Rosicky againsthis former club set the Gunners on their way, although in typical Arsenal fashion they added two morre in the final 10 minutes to give the scoreline an emphatic look.

Substitute Cesc Fabregas scored a neat second after excellent work by Eduardo, and the Croatian got on the score-sheet himself a minute from the end.

An eighth minute goal by Tomas Rosicky againsthis former club set the Gunners on their way, although in typical Arsenal fashion they added two morre in the final 10 minutes to give the scoreline an emphatic look.

Substitute Cesc Fabregas scored a neat second after excellent work by Eduardo, and the Croatian got on the score-sheet himself a minute from the end.

CL Qualifier Report: Victory Sees Valencia Comfortably Through

A 2-1 win in the driving Boras rain (5-1 agg) secured safe passage for Valencia as four new recruits received their competitive debuts.

Ivan Helguera took just five minutes to open his Valencia goal account, all but ending any chance of an unlikely Elfsborg revival.

Flores also handed a starting jersey to Timo Hildebrand in goal.

Marco Caneira kept his place from the first leg at right back, while Sunny and Jaime Gavilan were given starts in central and left midfield respectively. The game was an open and physical affair, threatening to flair up on occasion, though the early Helguera goal knocked the wind out the Swedish sales.

The hosts fought back with a Daniel Alexandersson goal just after the half hour mark, but Los Che never looked in danger of relinquishing their sizeable aggregate lead. Both Javier Arizmendi and Alexis played their first competitive minutes in Valencia colours, coming off the bench in the second half.

Elfsborg caused the visitors some problems in the the last half hour, parly due to defensive confusion and some poor marking by Valencia's backline, and Hildebrand was called upon a couple of times to intervene. But substitute David Villa, on for David Silva mid way through the second period, secured the win in the dying minutes. Villa put Morientes's replacement Arizmendi through on goal, and after the ex-Depor forward saw his shot parried, the much-wanted hotshot was on hand to knock home the winner.

CL Report: Benfica Bring Champions Bacon Back From Copenhagen

Benfica are through to the Group Phase of the Champions League on the back of a 0-1 win at the Parken stadium in Copenhagen. The Portuguese giants had won 2-1 in the first leg in Lisbon and made the most out of an early Katsouranis goal. FC Copenhagen will have to content themselves with the UEFA Cup…

FC COPENHAGEN 0-1 SL BENFICA

Benfica started off without towering Seleção centre-back Luisão, the big man recovered from his injury but Camacho not wanting to risk a longer spell in dry dock and opting for a repeat of the recent Bwin Liga partnership between Katsouranis and Miguel Vítor.

Di María made his official competition debut for the visiting Águias and another man who seems set to gain space under the Spaniard, Luís Filipe, made his Champions League debut in place of Nuno Assis.

On the home side Solbakken fielded more-or-less the same side from the da Luz leg, just making one adjustment as Nordstrand come on for the unavailable Gronkjaer, Brazilian number 7 Aílton Almeida starting off from the bench.

The hosts started off as expected, Nordstrand proving active yet ineffective with a weak header, shot over the bar and not reaching a Würtz cross. The best chance came seven minutes in as Léo cleared a Hangeland header off the line.

Five minutes later Gravgaard almost scored but Cardozo proved he can stop goals as well as net them and the Paraguayan let Benfica off the hook. It seemed like the guests were playing with fire and the Danes were taking strength from the Portuguese weakness.

It looked like the first goal was bound to be local, but, against the run of play a Benfica surge left Rui Costa with a free kick and the Maestro curled a precise kick over for Cardozo to get a head to, the ball knocked on to Nuno Gomes, who gave a second nod and Katsouranis (17 min) deflected the ball in.

The goal was wildly celebrated by a small contingent of roughly 400 Benfica fans as the local faithful were hit with an unexpected slap across the face when they were almost ready to celebrate an FC Copenhagen goal. The away goal hung heavy in the air.

Nuno Gomes banged in a great shot that Christiansen managed to tip wide, avoiding what would surely have been the qualifying goal. The hosts were punch drunk, Rui Costa crossing in again and Nuno Gomes nodding on for Miguel Vítor to almost score the second.

The Maestro was giving a lecture in fine passing, setting Di María up for the Argentine to bang a shot past the left post. The Lions roared back at Benfica and appealed for a penalty after a clash between Miguel Vítor and Allbäck, but all the ref gave was a yellow to Hutchinson for his prolonged protests.

Jensen almost managed to square things off with a free kick that exploded off Quim’s right post. After a Luís Filipe / Nuno Gomes counter-strike Jensen was at it again and Quim just managed to defuse the danger with Silberbauer blasting the ball over.

Allbäck missed a great chance as he was unmarked in the heart of the Benfica box, but the Swede headed just wide of the left post to howls from the terraces. The first half ended with the score in favour of the visitors and worried looks from the crowd.

The second half began with a change in the Benfica line-up, Camacho taking off Nélson – who’d ended the first half limping – and bringing Nuno Assis onto the pitch. On the sidelines Bergessio, Romeu Ribeiro and Fábio Coentrão all warmed up.

FC Copenhagen were finding it difficult to make headway against a Benfica who knew they had both time and the score on their side. Di María was brought down on the edge of the Danish area as the Águias launched a counter-attack but Rui Costa stroked the free kick over Christiansen’s crossbar.

Solbakken made his first move as he brought Würtz off for fresh blood in the shape of Sionko. The hosts tried to re-inject some of the lost velocity as Hutchinson ripped up the left flank and crossed for Hangeland to head over Quim’s crossbar.

Katsouranis earned a yellow for trying to delay an FC Copenhagen free kick. The dead-ball chance almost hit home as Sionko made space enough to unleash a shot that skipped just wide of the right post.

With sixteen minutes left both sides made their second substitutions, the hosts swapping centre-forwards as Nordstrand made way for Aílton Almeida and Camacho tweaking his midfield by bringing off Di María for young prospect Romeu Ribeiro.

Cardozo and Nuno Assis tried their luck but were blocked. The final ten minutes saw a good chance for The Lions go wanting as Quim closed Gravgaard down and the local man missed the chance to net the equaliser and at least give the hosts some hope.

Jensen headed one of the last remaining chances over as three minutes were added, but it was looking bleak for FC Copenhagen and sure enough the final whistle was blown and Benfica celebrated a job well done. 0-1, 3-1 on aggregate and the Águias fly into the Group Phase.

Benfica are through to the Group Phase of the Champions League on the back of a 0-1 win at the Parken stadium in Copenhagen. The Portuguese giants had won 2-1 in the first leg in Lisbon and made the most out of an early Katsouranis goal. FC Copenhagen will have to content themselves with the UEFA Cup…

Benfica started off without towering Seleção centre-back Luisão, the big man recovered from his injury but Camacho not wanting to risk a longer spell in dry dock and opting for a repeat of the recent Bwin Liga partnership between Katsouranis and Miguel Vítor.

Di María made his official competition debut for the visiting Águias and another man who seems set to gain space under the Spaniard, Luís Filipe, made his Champions League debut in place of Nuno Assis.

On the home side Solbakken fielded more-or-less the same side from the da Luz leg, just making one adjustment as Nordstrand come on for the unavailable Gronkjaer, Brazilian number 7 Aílton Almeida starting off from the bench.

The hosts started off as expected, Nordstrand proving active yet ineffective with a weak header, shot over the bar and not reaching a Würtz cross. The best chance came seven minutes in as Léo cleared a Hangeland header off the line.

Five minutes later Gravgaard almost scored but Cardozo proved he can stop goals as well as net them and the Paraguayan let Benfica off the hook. It seemed like the guests were playing with fire and the Danes were taking strength from the Portuguese weakness.

It looked like the first goal was bound to be local, but, against the run of play a Benfica surge left Rui Costa with a free kick and the Maestro curled a precise kick over for Cardozo to get a head to, the ball knocked on to Nuno Gomes, who gave a second nod and Katsouranis (17 min) deflected the ball in.

The goal was wildly celebrated by a small contingent of roughly 400 Benfica fans as the local faithful were hit with an unexpected slap across the face when they were almost ready to celebrate an FC Copenhagen goal. The away goal hung heavy in the air.

Nuno Gomes banged in a great shot that Christiansen managed to tip wide, avoiding what would surely have been the qualifying goal. The hosts were punch drunk, Rui Costa crossing in again and Nuno Gomes nodding on for Miguel Vítor to almost score the second.

The Maestro was giving a lecture in fine passing, setting Di María up for the Argentine to bang a shot past the left post. The Lions roared back at Benfica and appealed for a penalty after a clash between Miguel Vítor and Allbäck, but all the ref gave was a yellow to Hutchinson for his prolonged protests.

Jensen almost managed to square things off with a free kick that exploded off Quim’s right post. After a Luís Filipe / Nuno Gomes counter-strike Jensen was at it again and Quim just managed to defuse the danger with Silberbauer blasting the ball over.

Allbäck missed a great chance as he was unmarked in the heart of the Benfica box, but the Swede headed just wide of the left post to howls from the terraces. The first half ended with the score in favour of the visitors and worried looks from the crowd.

The second half began with a change in the Benfica line-up, Camacho taking off Nélson – who’d ended the first half limping – and bringing Nuno Assis onto the pitch. On the sidelines Bergessio, Romeu Ribeiro and Fábio Coentrão all warmed up.

FC Copenhagen were finding it difficult to make headway against a Benfica who knew they had both time and the score on their side. Di María was brought down on the edge of the Danish area as the Águias launched a counter-attack but Rui Costa stroked the free kick over Christiansen’s crossbar.

Solbakken made his first move as he brought Würtz off for fresh blood in the shape of Sionko. The hosts tried to re-inject some of the lost velocity as Hutchinson ripped up the left flank and crossed for Hangeland to head over Quim’s crossbar.

Katsouranis earned a yellow for trying to delay an FC Copenhagen free kick. The dead-ball chance almost hit home as Sionko made space enough to unleash a shot that skipped just wide of the right post.

With sixteen minutes left both sides made their second substitutions, the hosts swapping centre-forwards as Nordstrand made way for Aílton Almeida and Camacho tweaking his midfield by bringing off Di María for young prospect Romeu Ribeiro.

Cardozo and Nuno Assis tried their luck but were blocked. The final ten minutes saw a good chance for The Lions go wanting as Quim closed Gravgaard down and the local man missed the chance to net the equaliser and at least give the hosts some hope.

Jensen headed one of the last remaining chances over as three minutes were added, but it was looking bleak for FC Copenhagen and sure enough the final whistle was blown and Benfica celebrated a job well done. 0-1, 3-1 on aggregate and the Águias fly into the Group Phase.

CL Report: Ten Cate's Ajax Dumped Out By Slavia Prague

Slavia Prague 1-2 Ajax

Henk Ten Cate's Ajax have yet again failed to qualify for the Champions League, crashing out after losing both the legs to Czech side Slavia Prague

Last year, it was FC Copenhagen who stunned Ajax in the third qualifying round, winning 2-0 in Amsterdam after losing the first leg 1-2 in Denmark.

It was dismissed as early season blues back then, as Ten Cate looked to settle in, but this one had been labelled a must win game in Amsterdam.

This time, it is Slavia Prague who have dumped the Dutch giants out of the Champions League and into the Uefa Cup. If anything, this was a more emphatic beating, as they first lost 1-0 at home, and then 2-1 away.

Stainslav Vlcek was the man who did the damage, scoring in the 22nd and 86th minute to seal the Czechs' progress to the group stage of the Champions League.

Suarez scored in the 33rd minute to set up an interesting game, but Ajax failed to get their noses ahead try as they did, and paid for it when Vlcek got his second four minutes from time.

Ten Cate is struggling with a squad that has just lost Wesley Sneijder and Ryan Babel, and though his future is not in threat, the chances of their challenging PSV Eindhoven domestically look minimal at the moment.

goal.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I fucking hate Diego. I was at the game yesterday night so I'm unable to debate on it because it was hard to see anything there, the stadium was jam packed. All I know I fucking hate Diego, when he scored that second penalty he was provoking our fans by celebrating right in front of us, if I had something on me I would have thrown it at him. You're happy you scored, great, go jump in front of your supporters not the opposition's. Motherfucker. I thought only Inzaghi does shit like that.

There were a lot of penalties, I can't say deserved or not, I really didn't see, but it doesn't matter. Everything was decided in the first game really, where we failed to take our chances and payed for it, that's it.

Good luck to Werder in the future of the CL, they deserved it in the end, we have no one but ourselves to blame. Diego break a fucking leg.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
You mean Milan winning it again; good or not for the leauge?
Extremely good. :p

I fucking hate Diego. I was at the game yesterday night so I'm unable to debate on it because it was hard to see anything there, the stadium was jam packed. All I know I fucking hate Diego, when he scored that second penalty he was provoking our fans by celebrating right in front of us, if I had something on me I would have thrown it at him. You're happy you scored, great, go jump in front of your supporters not the opposition's. Motherfucker. I thought only Inzaghi does shit like that.

There were a lot of penalties, I can't say deserved or not, I really didn't see, but it doesn't matter. Everything was decided in the first game really, where we failed to take our chances and payed for it, that's it.

Good luck to Werder in the future of the CL, they deserved it in the end, we have no one but ourselves to blame. Diego break a fucking leg.
:depressed This was the opportunity of the century for Dinamo. Werder was in poor form and had many of their players injured. This was not the Werder of few previous seasons.

One thing I don´t understand why did Mamić sold Eduardo before the 3rd qualiphying phase? I understand Corluka´s departure because he was desperate to leave but Eduardo is such a nice and reasonable guy. I think he would have agreed to postpone his deal until winter or next smmer.

Also, Robert Kovac in top form would have given so much stability to that back line of Dinamo´s but Mamic didn´t want to risk having another Nowotny case. I am sure that wouldn´t happen though with Robbie because he was neither crippled with injuries nor he was asking too much. He is the best Croatian defender for fuck sake with European experience. The weakest department in Dinamo is definitely the back line which (you have to admit) looks amateurish in terms of European standards. And they had R. Kovac offering himself to them. Mamic knew he would sell Corluka for a good money and he still didn´t want to splash the cash. Unbelievable. I hope these 2 decisions hit him in the head now because thy costed him a place in the Group Stage.

Dinamo invested so much in this team hoping for so long awaited Europe and in the end made totally nonsensical decisions.

In the end, you can see how much we lapse from the other European leagues and lack professionalism and tough matches such as this. Dinamo walks through the Croatian league every season but lacks real tests and in the end they paid the price for this as many times before.

Werder was also physically much better prepared.

God knows how much more we will have to wait for a Croatian club in the group stages and God knows when we will see Dinamo´s generation good as this one again......

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

:depressed This was the opportunity of the century for Dinamo. Werder was in poor form and had many of their players injured. This was not the Werder of few previous seasons.

One thing I don´t understand why did Mamić sold Eduardo before the 3rd qualiphying phase? I understand Corluka´s departure because he was desperate to leave but Eduardo is such a nice and reasonable guy. I think he would have agreed to postpone his deal until winter or next smmer.

Also, Robert Kovac in top form would have given so much stability to that back line of Dinamo´s but Mamic didn´t want to risk having another Nowotny case. I am sure that wouldn´t happen though with Robbie because he was neither crippled with injuries nor he was asking too much. He is the best Croatian defender for fuck sake with European experience. The weakest department in Dinamo is definitely the back line which (you have to admit) looks amateurish in terms of European standards. And they had R. Kovac offering himself to them. Mamic knew he would sell Corluka for a good money and he still didn´t want to splash the cash. Unbelievable. I hope these 2 decisions hit him in the head now because thy costed him a place in the Group Stage.

Dinamo invested so much in this team hoping for so long awaited Europe and in the end made totally nonsensical decisions.

In the end, you can see how much we lapse from the other European leagues and lack professionalism and tough matches such as this. Dinamo walks through the Croatian league every season but lacks real tests and in the end they paid the price for this as many times before.

Werder was also physically much better prepared.

God knows how much more we will have to wait for a Croatian club in the group stages and God knows when we will see Dinamo´s generation good as this one again......
Mamic is a selfish prick who's thirst for money is only topped by his ego. I hate that man, I hate his essence, his very being. He just talks and talks of his love for the club, bla, bla, when all he cares about is his money. There are shady business going on Dinamo and Mamic is behind it all. These high profile transfers of Eduardo and Corluka, soon to be Modric as well, have done nothing but hurt Dinamo and made that arrogant fuck richer. FFS, he's even being let not to pay taxes, because "Dinamo is promoting Zagreb and Croatia in Europe". :howler: Just more money left in his pocket.

Eduardo didn't wanna stay just as much as Corluka, and I don't blame him. He couldn't wait till the winter because of the simple reason that he would be cup-tied having played a game for Dinamo in Europe. A big club like Arsenal came knocking, it's natural he took the oppurtunity. Ahh, if he had stayed...Werder would be out of CL in the first game already.

I think not bringing Kovac was a smart move. He could have added something in their defense but his demands were unrealistic I heard. He wouldn't have came here to play football, he wouldn't take this leauge seriously I think. He'd came here to earn some big cash and retire at home. It was wise not to bring him IMO, besides I think Schildenfeld could be pretty good.

That was always our biggest problem, not delivering in the important games. TBH when Werded scored I thought it was all over, I thought our mentality would sink and that we would lose 0:4, but surprisingly we fought back and gave them a hard time. You saw the game on TV, right? Were the penalties debateable? I read the first one was a joke and shouldn't have happen...If that's true than Dinamo really got screwed, that first goal decided the course of the game..

All in all this is bye-bye Europe for our clubs, Dinamo was the only one who promised something and now Modric is gonna leave as well and we'll end up waiting for an oppurtunity like this for the next 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)