Erik Lamela - Right Winger/SS - Tottenham (22 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
We'll sign him, he'll be an instant hit, will have an immense season. Then we will sell him to Serie A's number one customers.
He'll be going to PSG in exchange for Pogba's return to Juve by then, I'd imagine...

Well, the show is called Trans World Sport. Hey now!
Great program.

Used to watch it heaps circa 1994.

Back in the good old days when I'd be out of my bed early enough at the weekend to see a program that started at about 8am.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Someone mentioned it is a big risk....but isn't every signing a risk?

Cannavaro struggled at Inter, joined Juve and was superb (first time around). Davids didn't make an impact at Milan, joined Juve became one of the best in his position for a very long time. Henry from Juve to Arsenal...the list goes on.

We need a winger...and finally we have a chance to sign a player who proved his worth at Roma, moved to a club where they haven't given him a chance and we want to say no? And most of all, he isn't a mid aged average Italian player...finally something different.

I say yes to Lamela...20m plus Vucinic should be negotiated down, but Vuci is 30 years old now, unfortunately his value will drop based on that alone.
All mentioned players were bought for relatively small fees, simply because they carried not entirely insignificant risk of failure. Davids didn't adapt in Milan, Henry in Juve, Cannavaro was struggling with injuries during his spell in Inter and so on... What we have here is youngster, who had one good season, two at most, overhyped by media, certainly happened many times before, and who was sold for a large fee, the fee that EPL clubs nowadays willingly pay as soon as some player shows any sign of promise, glimpse of talent, even the slightest one is enough for them. Yes, risky investment indeed this one would be, but for 30m we could and should get more complete player, finished product and not someone who's career can go either way.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't see how you can say Lamela flopped at Spurs.

He hasn't been given enough of a chance to be able to flop.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
He came there after a good season, as a player full of confidence, healthy and so far he's played around 20 games, some I've seen, but has he made any kind of impact when the opportunity was given to him? Adaptation problem? Might be, but after 6 months I'll dare say that he's a flop.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You can start putting that sort of label on a player when they move within a country, but you have to allow longer when it's a younger player adapting to a new country and a new style of football.

Add in that the team hasn't been playing well and it'd be very harsh to be particularly critical of Lamela's time at Spurs so far.

- - - Updated - - -

And Lamela has only started the grand total of ten games for Spurs, mostly in the Europa League:

http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/130870/erik-lamela?cc=5739

Hardly enough to write him off.

May 22, 2013
I would love to see Lamela here! Even if it makes me a bit sad to see Vucinic leave, since i really like the guy and think he is a great player, it could be the right time to let him go and try to get as much value for him as possible. There are, off course, not guarantees for Lamela, he could turn out to be a flop, but i think he is the kind of player worth a "gamble". I would reckon though, that his price should be around 20-25 million €, since he has not really taken his chance in Spurs, have been injured and apparantly wants to go back to Italy. Furthermore, i would value Vucinic around 12-15 million € in such a swap (might be a bit high, but i think that valuation is fair, since he is much more proven than Lamela, is what Tottenham needs, and could slot in from day one - hence no "potential" to chase before he can make a difference), and i think we should aim for something around Vucinic + 12 million € for the guy... No higher than 15 in my book, since that would be overpaying. It's not like Vucinic is crap and he is not that old. It could turn out to be quite a good investment in the long run though, i certainly rate Lamela, and i think he could fit in both our 3-5-2 and a 4-3-3 or whatever our alternative will look like.

With Vucinic gone, we do need a type, who is capable of taking the fights up front in my opinion. If he leaves, we will only have Llorente, out of five strikers, who can play that kind of role. So if the Vucinic-Lamela swap is actually happening i think we should try and sell one of Giovinco and Quaqliarella (depending on, which of the players we could get a fair deal for, depends on the demand really), and bring a striker, who could play a role similar to the ones Llorente and Vucinic have had (I know there are differences between those two, but they have a bunch of similar tasks when on the fields, fitted to their skills and style off course).

As an alternativ, if we intend to be more flexible between formations, we could sell Quaq and bring in a winger. A guy like Griezmann would be the dream, but maybe we should look for someone with some defensive qualities aswell. If we are to deploy a 4-3-3 with Llorente in the center, i reckon the left wing would be Tevez/Lamela/Giovinco, and with those, especially Lamela and Giovinco, we would need a guy in the other side, who can balance things a bit - if we could somehow get someone with Pepe-esqe characteristics, just better. Di Maria would make my pants wet, but as with Griezmann, it's not just that easy... De Bruyne could be an option, i heard he wants out of Chelsea - and not on loan. Even though he should prefer the Bundesliga, i'm sure we would have a chance competing with teams like Leverkusen and Wolfsburg.

Having a strikeforce (offensive players, for the two striker roles in 3-5-2 and the front three in a 4-3-3) of Llorente, Tevez, Lamela, De Bruyne and Giovinco would be pretty sweet, although i really would like us to have an alternative to Llorente that is not Tevez. Take out Giovinco and add Griezmann/Di Maria or someone like that, and we have an unrealistic dream, but a wet one for sure. I do think though, with our defenders and midfielders in mind, that we should still deploy the 3-5-2 as one of our alternatives, which is why i would like incoming transfers to be able to fit this formation aswell.. (Lamela could play in the front two, both with Llorente and Tevez IMO, and De Bruyne could both be used on the wing back, especially in games where we dominate, and i even see him being able to slot in at midfield if we were so unlucky to have some kind of injurie-nightmare, which is always nice - i know it's not a role where he would be sweet).

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
He settled in at Roma fine...maybe Serie A and the life in Italy helped him more than living in London where the culture is so different. Who knows...but the season at Roma saw him do very well.

If other clubs like PSG step in and try to take him then so be it, they have a fair few players who would be questioning their worth if lamela joined anyway. So who knows what we can take off them later on.

All I know is that Lamela has a lot to offer....with starting rumours of bibiany and cerci...and now this, honestly, I'd be very excited to see him join.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Given the options and circumstances, this guy would be a great buy.

I'm still hoping we can somehow get Di Maria, but Lamela would be an immense purchase, especially if you consider the alternatives. A much better buy and a far superior player to that turd nugget Cerci.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
According to Repubbloica the Vucinic-Lamela exchange is a concrete hypothesis.

Also :

The Juventus continues to work under the deal that could lead track Erik Lamela in black and white and Mirko Vucinic at Tottenham. This idea that seems more viable in June, is a matter of timing than cost savings, but an exchange of loans with mandatory redemption set in the summer is the solution that Marotta and Baldini could launch to conclude the exchange already in winter . The two players have already expressed their positive opinion for destinations, especially not just to increase a little 'pressure on the English club still undecided on how to move the card to the Argentine paid 30 million just last summer. A report in Gazzetta dello Sport .

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
British sources are claiming the same, loan swap in January, with both clubs having an option to buy the loanee in the summer.
No word yet from Di Marzio though :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Sky say we're not looking at Lamela ?

If anybody can translate this properly.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/juventus/?action=read&idnet=dHV0dG9qdXZlLmNvbS0xNzIxMTQ

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #98
    yeah, according to the experts at SKY they don't think we're interested in him.

Let's hope for Laudisa who was more reliable last year on the Juve mercato.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)