[ENG] Premier League 2014/2015 (5 Viewers)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
When everyone is fit, I think this is about it:

Chelsea:
Cahill-Terry

ManC:
Milner-Hart

ManU:
Shaw-Jones-Carrick-Rooney

Arsenal:
Ramsey (ok Welsh)-Walcott-Wilshere-Welbeck

Tottenham:
Walker-Rose-Dier-Mason-Kane

Liverpool:
Johnson-Gerrard-Henderson-Sterling-Sturridge

Kind of sad indeed.
you missed out chambers for arsenal too. Although not a starter but blackett has represented man utd a few times this season

Buy on AliExpress.com

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
No, so realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

sad for who? I would find the opposite sad, if Juve filled up with Italians for instance, italian club for italians only i.e.
It's not sad to have an identity. I've been watching Italian Football for 20+ years because it's Italian.

- - - Updated - - -

So exactly what most think of Italy then ??

So bitter.

Football goes in cycles, and Italy certainly had their day throwing money around all over the place....look at it now.
Had money AND homegrown talent. BIG difference.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
But he's 100% right. You have incredibly mediocre NT, and when you think about it you always had, despite the hype that surrounds you, mostly created by your media. Football is considered to be your major sport, but you haven't been able to develope WC player for decades, someone that would be recognized for his talent, not marketing, all around globe. This new contract will further diminish your NT's chances to achieve anything worthwile on major tournaments.
I don't care 1 bit about the National Team.

- - - Updated - - -

No, so realistic.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not sad to have an identity. I've been watching Italian Football for 20+ years because it's Italian.

- - - Updated - - -

Had money AND homegrown talent. BIG difference.
England do produce some good players, our media and some fans just over-rate them.

Italy do produce good players, but how many World class players have they produced in the last 10 years ?? Pirlo is still the best Italian midfielder.

England and the prem is all about the product.

Loads of bitterness about the money coming into England.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you keep saying bitter? And i could care less about cycles, i follow the fricking Argentine league
Because its bitterness and jealousy, it gets people really angry that the money is in the Prem.

If they didin't care then they would not be botherd posting such consentrated bile and angry bitterness!!

Not sure why, I find the prem boring and rubbish most of the time.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Its only the fans of small clubs that get behind England anyway, although I have been to many England away games....but not really for the football!!!
Yeah I noticed that myself, been to a couple of games and you see all the flags, most are FLC, L1 and L2. I reckon there's probably more Coventry fans watching England than their team right now.

Pablo

Jul 9, 2010
Yeah I noticed that myself, been to a couple of games and you see all the flags, most are FLC, L1 and L2. I reckon there's probably more Coventry fans watching England than their team right now.
I think you are right.

I live in Bolton, and more of them go to England aways than Bolton games, I have gone with them alot.

Their only real chance to to abroad watching football.......were as I got to Switzerland next week!!

- - - Updated - - -

Even though Im not bothered about the NT, I do prefer lads from ours or other English accademies playing for my team....and we have quite a few.

We could have 5 in the next England squad, and 3 on the Ireland squad and 1 in Scotland squad!!

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
I have to agree with Pablo on this, all bashing England, but in Italy, it isn't any better.
Not much new stars in Italy have popped up the last few years.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
lol half of Bayern's team is foreigners. Real would be permanent second banana to Barca without infusions of foreign talent.

Why do you think our league is so popular? A worldwide audience doesn't care to watch a bunch of English, they like the cosmopolitan league. I'm American so insult England all you want, I don't care whether they produce a single good player. Neither do the fans in China, Indonesia, or anywhere else we have big TV contracts. Most viewers of the EPL don't even come from England.

England wouldn't die, we're making more money than all the other leagues combined. We'd just break away. American, Chinese, British and Australian sponsors would abandon the Champions League as the most popular worldwide clubs are excluded, causing UEFA to implode. UEFA has no power anymore.
:lol: you think the EPL is more popular than the CL?

English clubs would still be the richest for some time before everyone realizes how weak they are and they lose their sponsorship deals. but you cant oppose the UEFA. it has influence over the FA which leads the EPL so saying UEFA has no power is ridiculous. EPL clubs would be left out of the CL (big money), English NTs would be left out of the European Competitions and that is bad for the english football and their image. so, any decision UEFA implements the EPL would have to live with, like it or not. the problem is, UEFA cares too much about their own money and income so they wont do such radical things as to limit foreigners to 3, 4 or 5. too bad, because that would be the best thing that could happen to football

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
I think a lot of people are in denial, using intangible concepts such as "the soul of the league" in their arguments against the PL. The "better atmosphere in Serie A games" is not only intangible but also ironic in my mind. You can't prove these things, some people like full stadiums and (for some reason) some people prefer empty stadiums with a loud tiny minority with flares behind one of the goals. And people act if it's a bad thing that the PL markets the shit out of their league. Lets be honest here, it isn't just hype when they have better players.

Even the President of the La Liga came out today worried about the implications of the PL new TV deal. Saying he was worried that England would lure away La Liga's best players. At the same time the smaller clubs in Spain are threatening to strike if TV money won't be distributed more equally when the current deals run out. Should be interesting to see what happens.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
I think a lot of people are in denial, using intangible concepts such as "the soul of the league" in their arguments against the PL. The "better atmosphere in Serie A games" is not only intangible but also ironic in my mind. You can't prove these things, some people like full stadiums and (for some reason) some people prefer empty stadiums with a loud tiny minority with flares behind one of the goals. And people act if it's a bad thing that the PL markets the shit out of their league. Lets be honest here, it isn't just hype when they have better players.

Even the President of the La Liga came out today worried about the implications of the PL new TV deal. Saying he was worried that England would lure away La Liga's best players. At the same time the smaller clubs in Spain are threatening to strike if TV money won't be distributed more equally when the current deals run out. Should be interesting to see what happens.
Your post makes no sense, nobody is in denial. They know how to make business and that's why they are where they are now, props to them.

About "the soul of the league" unless you were born yesterday and started watching Football when it was already all about money, i can't expect you to understand what it means to have an identity. I can't comment on the atmosphere cause i haven't been to England or Italy so i'll say nothing.

The fact that any club with money can pick 10 of the best players from different countries have badly hurt how national teams (and poorer clubs) and taken away it's importance to World Football. It's lost it's magic.

If there was a limit for how many foreigners, even if 5, it'd force all teams to focus on producing home grown talent (Like the German have been doing for a while now) and there would be more quality to be shared around and divided accordingly. Overall, Football would win.

- - - Updated - - -

:lol: you think the EPL is more popular than the CL?

English clubs would still be the richest for some time before everyone realizes how weak they are and they lose their sponsorship deals. but you cant oppose the UEFA. it has influence over the FA which leads the EPL so saying UEFA has no power is ridiculous. EPL clubs would be left out of the CL (big money), English NTs would be left out of the European Competitions and that is bad for the english football and their image. so, any decision UEFA implements the EPL would have to live with, like it or not. the problem is, UEFA cares too much about their own money and income so they wont do such radical things as to limit foreigners to 3, 4 or 5. too bad, because that would be the best thing that could happen to football
:agree:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think a lot of people are in denial, using intangible concepts such as "the soul of the league" in their arguments against the PL. The "better atmosphere in Serie A games" is not only intangible but also ironic in my mind. You can't prove these things, some people like full stadiums and (for some reason) some people prefer empty stadiums with a loud tiny minority with flares behind one of the goals.

Yeah, these are things that mean very little. The atmosphere is just different. You won't see a huge funny tifo in England, you won't see flags, but you will get a lot of chanting. Depends on what you like. Personally I like the Italian way of supporting a team, especially because there is quite a bit of idolatry going on. Italians have heroes. Italians have bandiere To me that makes the game beautiful. But it's only a matter of opinion.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
You are just commenting on intangible things, that's no argument. Arguing that football had more soul in one period instead of the other is just an opinion. You act if the PL introduced money to the game. Sure there's more money involved in football now, but don't forget that the Italian league was the strongest in the 90s not because of soul and passion but because the most money was being spent there. Now more money is somewhere else. There probably were people like you back then, reminiscing about the clean non-money-infested days of football in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Italian teams generally outspent everyone else in those days too.

I've been watching football since the mid 90s, not very long I know, but longer than a lot of people here. The game hasn't changed that much, the money used to be in Italy and now it's in England. I don't see why it's so terrible that people flock to one foreign country instead of the other. In fact you hear people in Italy still whine about too many foreigners clogging Serie A.

And quotas on foreigners just doesn't work in Europe. It doesn't correspond to EU law, UEFA gave up on that. If such a quota was in place it would only effect the number of South Americans/Asians/Australians (and some eastern Europeans) in Europe.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It would be kind of nice to see if and how things would be different if you suddenly gave Serie A clubs a €7Bn tv deal. I don't think it would be any less immoral, but the difference is that Serie A clubs have had an Italian backing and origin through thick and thin, only now have foreign investors emerged. With more money others would follow.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
It would be kind of nice to see if and how things would be different if you suddenly gave Serie A clubs a €7Bn tv deal. I don't think it would be any less immoral, but the difference is that Serie A clubs have had an Italian backing and origin through thick and thin, only now have foreign investors emerged. With more money others would follow.
exactly.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
. so, any decision UEFA implements the EPL would have to live with, like it or not. the problem is, UEFA cares too much about their own money and income so they wont do such radical things as to limit foreigners to 3, 4 or 5. too bad, because that would be the best thing that could happen to football
Let's make one thing clear. UEFA has no saying in how many foreigners from EU and affiliates a team can field in a match.

- - - Updated - - -

You are just commenting on intangible things, that's no argument. Arguing that football had more soul in one period instead of the other is just an opinion. You act if the PL introduced money to the game. Sure there's more money involved in football now, but don't forget that the Italian league was the strongest in the 90s not because of soul and passion but because the most money was being spent there. Now more money is somewhere else. There probably were people like you back then, reminiscing about the clean non-money-infested days of football in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. Italian teams generally outspent everyone else in those days too.

I've been watching football since the mid 90s, not very long I know, but longer than a lot of people here. The game hasn't changed that much, the money used to be in Italy and now it's in England. I don't see why it's so terrible that people flock to one foreign country instead of the other. In fact you hear people in Italy still whine about too many foreigners clogging Serie A.

And quotas on foreigners just doesn't work in Europe. It doesn't correspond to EU law, UEFA gave up on that. If such a quota was in place it would only effect the number of South Americans/Asians/Australians (and some eastern Europeans) in Europe.
:tup:

A voice of reason among all these emotional golden age syndrome women.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Let's make one thing clear. UEFA has no saying in how many foreigners from EU and affiliates a team can field in a match.
Yep, EU labor laws & stuff.

Soooo, just because you can't objectively measure or quantify atmosphere, it doesn't exist or isn't worthy of discussion? Your world must be rather limited then my friend.

You got some solid points otherwise though, there's defenitely too much nostalgia clouding people's judments present here. Not as extreme as you argue, but still.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
These golden age girls reminds me of the right wing parties of europe. Trying to fight and deny globalisation by putting on some extremely biased nostalgic glasses in which football where pristine and pure prior to money in "the wrong hands".

Times are changing. Deal with it. Your Golden Age won't return.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)