Endless Summer Mercato 2016 (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Decent assisting but real bad scoring wise. It's this current season so I can't be fooled by revisionistic sugar coating. He played winger on occasional initially but it was far from many games, he played lots of games in two man attack and was completely toothless and never close to scoring even. Wether it's SS or CF, even if latter suits him much more, you should still look remotely close to dangerous and he never did. As I said half his goals came in same 3 days span a month ago. Saying he has been good enough at scoring expect that period is quite dishonest or you don't rate him enough to expect more. I certainly do. There are mitigating factors, but not good enough ones to excuse his bad rate of scoring for the full season. Chalk this down as bad season for him unless he suddenly wakes up big time in following weeks.
Good enough? I said mediocre. As in, not good enough. But calling 8 goals in 1838 minutes terrible is amusing. It's mediocre.

And not taking into account that he's creating goals for others with his passing is silly. Of course that matters. If he's passing up going for goal to create for others, and it actually leads to goals, that's a good thing.

Morata goal/assist per minute: 131 (8 goals + 6 assists in 1838 minutes)
Bacca goal/assist per minute: 131 (15 goals + 4 assists in 2494 minutes)
Icardi goal/assist per minute: 161 (11 goals + 1 assist in 1933 minutes)
Mandzukic goal/assist per minute: 138 (9 goals + 3 assists in 1656 minutes)
Eder goal/assist per minute: 139 (13 goals + 3 assists in 2227 minutes)
Kalinic goal/assist per minute: 137 (12 goals + 4 assists in 2198 minutes)

There are only 3 strikers playing in Italy with better all competition ratios than Morata. Higuain, Dybala, and Zaza (all well under 100 minutes). **adding in other positions, Insigne is ahead of him too.

So 4th best amongst all strikers playing in Serie A is a terrible season? Interesting.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Ratios matters little in the end when the reason he has played significantly less then most of them is because he hasn't been close to good at all. Especially one that is expected to become a top one, to play like a scared kid that falls down and cries for nothing or hardly even gets chances to miss. Despite Sevilla game being one of his most ineffective, I like him in that game because he atleast put himself in situations to get chances often.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
What are you on about now? He's within 400 minutes of everyone but Bacca on that list. He's played 1800 minutes. And obviously he has tough competition for a starting spot considering Juve has Mandzukic (3 straight seasons of 20+ goals) and Dybala.

By the way, he has 5 goals-2 assists in his last 8 games.

He started the season decently with 3 goals - 1 assists in his first 7 games(383 minutes), then went through a horrific 3 month slump where nothing went right for him (0 goals-3 assists in almost 1000 minutes :sergio: ), and has now found very good form with 5 goals-2 assists in his last 8 games (496 minutes).

If he scores another 5-6 goals, and gets another 3-4 assists, I'll say he had a decent season.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I'm not sure about Morata. He scores so few goals and often a shadow. He is good when playing a counter attacking football as we did last year but nowdays not so much.

Problem is... Last year Tevez,Llorente,Matri and Coman gone replaced by Morata-Mandzukic and Zaza.
Now according to rumors we might sell everyone bar Dybala....

I'm not even sure what our options are this summer.
Maybe we could aim at Meggiorini according to Nostradamus.
Why would we sell 3/4 of our attack? Why do you get sucked into such shitty rumours, and then take your frustrations out on the team and our (amazing) transfer policies? We've upgraded our team from last season, and I have no doubt we'll make the signings we need again should the need arise.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
and the rest were penalties
What? He has 6 goals from open play, 2 penalties, 1 of which he won. He also won another penalty in Serie A which Dybala converted.

You people are trying way too hard to discredit what Morata has done and make his season out to be some kind of a disaster. :lol:

It's not, in the slightest. As I showed, a goal + assist every 131 minutes is very decent.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Decent assisting but real bad scoring wise. It's this current season so I can't be fooled by revisionistic sugar coating. He played winger on occasional initially but it was far from many games, he played lots of games in two man attack and was completely toothless and never close to scoring even. Wether it's SS or CF, even if latter suits him much more, you should still look remotely close to dangerous and he never did. As I said half his goals came in same 3 days span a month ago. Saying he has been good enough at scoring expect that period is quite dishonest or you don't rate him enough to expect more. I certainly do. There are mitigating factors, but not good enough ones to excuse his bad rate of scoring for the full season. Chalk this down as bad season for him unless he suddenly wakes up big time in following weeks.
I've expected more from him, but it isn't uncommon for young players to struggle the season after breaking through. The talent and potential is clearly there. Dude has great speed and technique and he really can become a top-class CF one day if he puts his mind to it. Needs to show a bit more grinta at times though, he can be a bit of a soft touch.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Don't disagree on that, the reason I'm so disappointed is because his excellent qualities to become a top attacker is so obvious. Consistent performances was an issue last season too but the way he has succumbed to the pressure and been quite weak mentally in imposing himself is defenitely worrying for someone we should put potentially rely on.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Who is saying different? FFS. I've said multiple times it's not good enough. But it's nowhere near terrible.

Terrible is Berardi's season. Or Dzeko's season. Or Icardi's season.

Morata's season has been far better than any of those 3.

He had a horrific 3 months from mid-October to mid-January. The 6 weeks to start the season, and the 6 weeks since mid-January he's been quite good. Not the first time a 23 year old forward had a terrible 3 month spell.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He is the same 23 year old many here were overrating last season by saying he is already better then Higuain (or as valuable as Cavani). Clutch CL form, but far far from consistent reliable prolific forward, both last season and this one in the league.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That was me, mostly having fun teasing Hist for his Higuain love.

All he lacks is consistency. He always puts in the effort in big games, but has a tendency to fall apart and give up against smaller teams that play physical and park the bus. Hard to say if he'll overcome that.

His goals and assists in CL have all come against teams that play attacking football. Dortmund, Madrid, Barca, ManCity, Sevilla, Bayern. All of them are vulnerable to players with strong counterattacking ability which is where he has done most of his damage. He'd likely do better in La Liga now, or Premier League where smaller teams don't always park the bus and defend with numbers and physicality.

But he does create goals for others, which has to be taken into account. With 6 assists both last season and this season so far.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is mostly that I hardly see viable options out there to replace him, unless people actually think we have a chance at getting someone like Cavani (or on that Cavani level -Aguero, Higuain, Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Benzema, etc)...

So I'm hoping Madrid don't buy him back so we can see how he develops for another year.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
The Golden boy of Italian football has a goal/assist to minutes played ratio of 168 min for every goal/assist, with 3 of his 6 goals being penalties,yet a lot of people are ready to change formation to start him at Juve, but Morata had been terrible with better numbers.
I think he has been disappointing this season because I was expecting him to take a step up this year and make it a +20 goal season, but calling his season terrible is a bit of a stretch.

duranfj

Jul 30, 2015
Morata have a great chance that become a WC strikers, same for Dybala.

Max knows that and even when everyone was crying as hell for Zaza being our third (some cases second) striker. Max knows better. Now he needs to show again that he's a 23 year old guy with two UCL final in a row, so he must be better

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
So, with these top EPL teams changing managers, what are some feasible options and leftovers we can get? Mata, Oscar ...etc.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Who is saying different? FFS. I've said multiple times it's not good enough. But it's nowhere near terrible.

Terrible is Berardi's season. Or Dzeko's season. Or Icardi's season.

Morata's season has been far better than any of those 3.

He had a horrific 3 months from mid-October to mid-January. The 6 weeks to start the season, and the 6 weeks since mid-January he's been quite good. Not the first time a 23 year old forward had a terrible 3 month spell.
is he a choker :D?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
That was me, mostly having fun teasing Hist for his Higuain love.

All he lacks is consistency. He always puts in the effort in big games, but has a tendency to fall apart and give up against smaller teams that play physical and park the bus. Hard to say if he'll overcome that.

His goals and assists in CL have all come against teams that play attacking football. Dortmund, Madrid, Barca, ManCity, Sevilla, Bayern. All of them are vulnerable to players with strong counterattacking ability which is where he has done most of his damage. He'd likely do better in La Liga now, or Premier League where smaller teams don't always park the bus and defend with numbers and physicality.

But he does create goals for others, which has to be taken into account. With 6 assists both last season and this season so far.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is mostly that I hardly see viable options out there to replace him, unless people actually think we have a chance at getting someone like Cavani (or on that Cavani level -Aguero, Higuain, Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Benzema, etc)...

So I'm hoping Madrid don't buy him back so we can see how he develops for another year.
Don't misunderstand me, I want him to stay with us 1000 procent. But he has to prove himself good enough to become our main attacker. Even at his beet last season his decision making and how he just looked down and ran into a wall or defenders was super frustrating. If only way he can do damage is running into space in counters then he won't far. Need to adapt and develop killer instinct and positioning sense in the box. Only way you can be dangerous can't be with space to run into as striker, he is quite gifted player physically and good technique, need the intelligence and mental strength to use it to its fullest.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I think Madrid will make a bid for Pogba, surrendering the Morata contract and offering us Isco plus some cash. Zizou seems a big fan.
Yeh, if we get picky..im pretty sure they will use all their cards to tempt us. Pogba is a shiny poster boy and they crave for that. Their enitre mercato revolves around hype more than anything. And in this case, even to coach likes pogba so...

Khedira's a good player, but he doesn't stand out in anything. Most of the time, he's more or less passive without the ball but okay with it. Then there's the fact he's often injured, so all around that makes it worthwhile to improve upon him imo. He could be a decent bench option however.

I'd prefer if one day we get back to the level our midfield was when we had Vidal, Pogba, Marchisio and Pirlo all together. World class midfield.
Khedira is good indeed...but is not reliable injur wise, sadly. I would try to replace him. In fact i would have never signed him because we all knew he was a gamble injury-wise.

He has been terrible scorer this season. Let's not sugar coat it. 4 of the 8 goals was in 2 games a month ago. Otherwise he looked as likely to score as Bonucci basically...

The Golden boy of Italian football has a goal/assist to minutes played ratio of 168 min for every goal/assist, with 3 of his 6 goals being penalties,yet a lot of people are ready to change formation to start him at Juve, but Morata had been terrible with better numbers.
I think he has been disappointing this season because I was expecting him to take a step up this year and make it a +20 goal season, but calling his season terrible is a bit of a stretch.
The problem is that we all expected him to progress from last year, but he regressed.

As long as we win games i dont care about moratas numbers. We need to play him in the ucl tho cause thats when he is at his best
We all know he scores in the CL, but relying on that legend is naive. If he is off form, sooner or later it will translate to the CL too. Dont rely on that hype from last year to base ur arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)