[EN] Premier League 2004/05 (2 Viewers)

Jul 19, 2003
Wenger needs to sign that Egyptian LB he had on trial because Lauren is crap and he obviously can't get Trabelsi. I'd be so proud to have a countryman in the EPL. :touched: Lauren is probably the only one in the side that doesn't belong in a team with all that class.....very very poor showing today as he did last season.

I was wondering why Juve wouldn't try to get Toure instead of Campbell. He's younger and quicker, and the way he played today, it doesn't seem like experience is a problem for him.

I loved that dribble by Ljungberg before assisting Reyes.....amazing.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I was thinking the same thing. Toure would be a very good acquisition for us, but I can't see Wenger letting him go. He was solid last season and by the looks of things he has another great year ahead of him. He's strong in the air, not to mention quicker and younger than most of our current CBs. He'd be a top signing imo.

And yeah, Ljungberg's assist for Reyes was class.

PS. Do you mean Egyptian LB or RB? :undecide:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I got this from Sky Sports:

Player of the weekend - Jay Jay Okocha

The Bolton Wanderers star was magnificent as his brace helped The Trotters to a 4-1 win over Charlton Athletic. It was an entirely barren last season in the league for Okocha, but he opened his account in dramatic style with a glorious free-kick on the opening day. A low second capped a wonderful day for the Bolton man, and provided him with an ideal birthday present as he turned 31.

Goal of the weekend - Robbie Fowler

Robbie Fowler hooked the ball into the top corner, reminding City fans that he still has the ability to provide some truly special goals. Narrowly a victor over free-kicks from Okocha and Robbie Savage.

Save of the weekend - Maik Taylor

Maik Taylor made a superb double save in Birmingham City's 1-1 draw away to Portsmouth. He firstly stopped David Unsworth's free kick before recovering to palm Tresor Lomana Lua Lua's follow up over from close range. Both keepers shone in this match, with Shaka Hislop perhaps unlucky to miss out on the plaudits.

Pass of the weekend - Freddie Ljungberg

Arsenal looked a class above the rest as they romped to a 4-1 win at Everton, and Freddie Ljungberg showed his ability with a top quality cross. Jose Antonio Reyes was alone amongst three Everton players and yet the ball in was perfect for him to convert with his head.

Miss of the weekend - Jermaine Jenas

The midfielder could have wrapped up the points for Newcastle but his miss from a matter of yards out kept Boro in the game and they went on to steal a point. Ryan Giggs also deserves special mention for a wasteful header that could have earned Manchester United a share of the points against Chelsea.

Celebration of the day - Henrik Pedersen

The Danish striker could not hide his delight after scoring in Bolton's emphatic victory over Charlton.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I'm sure they've always known how to cross, it's just that the only people who've been on the end of them were the non-flying Dutchman and Thierry "close my eyes and hope for the best" Henry.

Seriously though, for a team with a few really tall players, Arsenal score precious few goals in the air... I honestly can't recall a single non-Sol Arsenal goal last season that was scored via a header :)

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
Wenger needs to sign that Egyptian LB he had on trial because Lauren is crap and he obviously can't get Trabelsi. I'd be so proud to have a countryman in the EPL. :touched: Lauren is probably the only one in the side that doesn't belong in a team with all that class.....very very poor showing today as he did last season.

I was wondering why Juve wouldn't try to get Toure instead of Campbell. He's younger and quicker, and the way he played today, it doesn't seem like experience is a problem for him.

I loved that dribble by Ljungberg before assisting Reyes.....amazing.
Mate...The Egyptian Player U r mentiong is a Right Back

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Cool Stu ;)

It'd be interesting to see this feature every week :)
If planetfootball.com continue to do it then I'll try my best to post after every round's play :)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Talking Point: New season, same headlines
by Alex Dunn

The headlines have been predictable and if they are to be believed, the Premiership trophy has all ready been engraved with the name of Arsene Wenger's side.

Whilst Arsenal teased and tormented Everton like a cat with a wounded mouse, Chelsea and Manchester United played out a dire exhibition of misplaced passes in an atmosphere that seemed to choke several players with nerves.

Many of the papers have been filled with the type of hyperbolic reaction to which they are famed, but in truth, how much can really be garnered from the opening fixtures played in searing heat?

Indeed, Arsenal had the cocksure look of champions-elect and in Jose Antonio Reyes they possess a player who looks ready to be the revelation of the season, with compatriot Cesc Fabregas already a contender for best newcomer.

However, it is pertinent not to forget that Arsenal are the type of side that will always take an outfit as inept as Everton apart.

Worryingly for Toffees boss David Moyes, his side lacked the type of dogs of war attitude that is imperative if you are even to compete with sides as capable as Arsenal. To attempt to play the champions on an equal footing is asking for what Everton duly received; a mauling.

Regarding Chelsea, some have even pigeon-holed Jose Mourinho as being the new disciple of dour, a natural successor to departing Liverpool boss Gerrard Houllier.

With Geremi and Alexei Smertin surprise inclusions, Chelsea played a narrow system that snapped, destroyed and sat back to allow United to push on - albeit to little effect. Although at times it was difficult to stifle rogue yawns, it would be foolish to believe Chelsea have become the new Liverpool.

A lack of width, which was the primary reason for a lack of fluidity, was due to a series of injuries that even the vast expanse of Chelsea's squad could not compensate for. Mourinho picks his side in terms of systems and irrespective of name and rank, he chooses players who will best suit his tactical inclinations.

The personnel available for Sunday dictated a more defensive system but when Arjen Robben and Damien Duff return from injury, expect to see a more attacking flavour at Stamford Bridge.

Another side with well-documented injury concerns, Manchester United, toiled with credit but at times the quality was simply unacceptable for a side of their stature.

Irrespective of injuries, are players of the calibre of David Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Diego Forlan and Quinton Fortune really good enough for United?

Elsewhere, my local radio phone-in was besieged and eventually overcome with complaints from the blue side of Manchester.

One fan was baying for the head of Keegan, another wanted rid of Le Sulk Anelka. Universally, they were all depressed and resigned to another season of heartache, relegation, bankruptcy, divorce, depression. Cheer up, one game in and you didn't even lose.

Of the new boys, Palace and Norwich fought out a stalemate that had one well known pundit claiming that the only chance for either sides' survival is prayer.

Perhaps to pray for a semblance of reasonableness would be too much to ask for?

A self-pronounced 'life-long' Liverpool fan, presumably born on The Kop, has become the first to lay siege into Rafa Benitez in a national daily. Perhaps it was ghost written by Danny Murphy.

One game and only a point from a tricky away fixture - have all chairmen gone soft? Surely he has to go.

Another man reportedly under pressure is Southampton boss Paul Sturrock. A surprise gamble in the mould of the appointment of Stuart Gray, it seems chairman Rupert Lowe too is suffering from early season over-reaction syndrome.

Regarding the rest, are Blackburn doomed to another season of underachievement after a stalemate with West Brom and will Kanu inspire The Baggies as Jay-Jay Okocha did on his arrival at Bolton - who incidentally could now be eyeing the UEFA Champions League after destroying a fancied Charlton side.

How did your side fare at the weekend? Are you doomed for relegation or chasing a Champions League place? We'd like to hear your predictions after the opening fixtures. Fill in the form below to offer your views on the new Premiership campaign.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=220072

vedder

Jun 18, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
I got this from Sky Sports:

Player of the weekend - Jay Jay Okocha

The Bolton Wanderers star was magnificent as his brace helped The Trotters to a 4-1 win over Charlton Athletic. It was an entirely barren last season in the league for Okocha, but he opened his account in dramatic style with a glorious free-kick on the opening day. A low second capped a wonderful day for the Bolton man, and provided him with an ideal birthday present as he turned 31.

Goal of the weekend - Robbie Fowler

Robbie Fowler hooked the ball into the top corner, reminding City fans that he still has the ability to provide some truly special goals. Narrowly a victor over free-kicks from Okocha and Robbie Savage.

Save of the weekend - Maik Taylor

coach of the week and season - MASTER MOURINHO

Maik Taylor made a superb double save in Birmingham City's 1-1 draw away to Portsmouth. He firstly stopped David Unsworth's free kick before recovering to palm Tresor Lomana Lua Lua's follow up over from close range. Both keepers shone in this match, with Shaka Hislop perhaps unlucky to miss out on the plaudits.

Pass of the weekend - Freddie Ljungberg

Arsenal looked a class above the rest as they romped to a 4-1 win at Everton, and Freddie Ljungberg showed his ability with a top quality cross. Jose Antonio Reyes was alone amongst three Everton players and yet the ball in was perfect for him to convert with his head.

Miss of the weekend - Jermaine Jenas

The midfielder could have wrapped up the points for Newcastle but his miss from a matter of yards out kept Boro in the game and they went on to steal a point. Ryan Giggs also deserves special mention for a wasteful header that could have earned Manchester United a share of the points against Chelsea.

Celebration of the day - Henrik Pedersen

The Danish striker could not hide his delight after scoring in Bolton's emphatic victory over Charlton.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)