[EN] Premier League 2004/05 (4 Viewers)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Birmingham City have signed Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell in a deal worth £3 million.

It is the third time in his career that the highly-rated Finn has signed for Blues, but on this occasion he will not be going back to the Premiership champions.

He first arrived at St Andrews in 2003 and bagged 17 goals, before sealing another season-long loan last summer - only to suffer a bad knee injury in September which saw him sidelined for over six months.

The 24-year-old has now returned to full fitness and Birmingham have won the race to sign him.

Everton had also been interested and held talks last week, but it is reported The Toffees were unconvinced by the player's overall fitness.

Forssell originally arrived in England in 1998 from HJK Helsinki, but he has had little chance to impress at Stamford Bridge as he has spent most of his time on loan.

He had spells with Crystal Palace (twice) and Borussia Monchengladbach before he joined Birmingham.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
3rd time :eek:
He was meant to spend this season on loan as well, but he broke his leg and went back to Chelsea, so basically 2 times we're loans, this time it's prevent, great deal by Birmingham, they pinched him right under Everton's nose, and he is a good player, and only 24! Frankly he is better then every striker Chelsea have...Last season he scored more goals then every player at Chelsea (Ranieri's last season) at Birmingham, and there is no doubt in my mind he'd of done the same thing this year had he not of broken his leg, imagine what he could do with players like Robben :eek:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's a waste. Forsell's good enough to get a chance at Chelsea, but instead he's going to be the point man for the most defensive team in the EPL. :(

What do you guys think of Van Der Saar to Man Utd? I think they'd have been better off getting Niemi, who's a bit younger, and just as good.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
I'm kind of surprised that they went for him....there are better keepers out there.
I think they went for him because he's proven at the highest level. That means a lot these days. Maybe Greene or Niemi or Jaaskeleinen or whoever would be a little better at this stage, but they might flop. Van der Saar almost certainly won't flop.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
that's true....they probably are desperate for some reliability :D although to be honest I always wanted Howard to be good because he's american

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by HWIENIAWSKI ] ++
that's true....they probably are desperate for some reliability :D although to be honest I always wanted Howard to be good because he's american
I rate him. I think he'll mature into a good keeper, if given enough playing time.

juvelover

Jul 13, 2002
actually VDS isn't that good , remember juve days ? he sucked big time , howard needs to be more calm loan spell to other league will help him mature , what confuses me that they went for dida , cassilas and our gigi ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then signed VDS !!! toldo , abbiatti , Niemi , kelly ( charlton ? ) were there and they did not see tem

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by juvelover ] ++
actually VDS isn't that good , remember juve days ? he sucked big time , howard needs to be more calm loan spell to other league will help him mature , what confuses me that they went for dida , cassilas and our gigi ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then signed VDS !!! toldo , abbiatti , Niemi , kelly ( charlton ? ) were there and they did not see tem
Toldo's inconsistant, and he and Abbiatti are Italian, unproven elsewhere. I'm not saying they're not excellent keepers, but after Taibi (a word which now means "awful goalkeeper" in Manc), Fergie's unlikely to take such a chance. VDS has spent time in England, and done respectably. Niemi was my choice too. I'd be shocked if no one picks him up this summer - he's a quality keeper. Kiely's about the same age as VDS, and of similar quality, but has no comparable top class experience and was proabably not as cheaply available - Charlton would be less than eager to lose him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)