[EN] Premier League 2004/05 (4 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
All I have to say is that Chelsea look really strong and very sharp atm. They've made brilliant signings (never mind how much money they paid) in Petr Cech, Paulo Ferreira, Ricardo Carvalho, Arjen Robben, Mateja Kezman and Didier Drogba, and have great depth, especially in defence and attack. If they can get their hands on a good right-sided midfielder they'll be in business.
If Arsenal offloads Vieira and Campbell, they're screwed. They won't be able to compete.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Len

Feb 13, 2004
I don't care that much about EPL atm...Sunderland aren't in it...they're my favourite team..... and they should've been promoted....:sigh:

Darin

Sep 8, 2002
yeah n that to wen he is doin pretty good in scorin goals n stuff

he irritated the roma defence so much

he probably will miss the match against Man U

Srecka

Jan 22, 2004
++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
start: 14th august

first round:

Aston Villa - FC Southampton
Blackburn Rovers - West Bromwich Albion
Bolton Wanderers - Charlton Athletic
FC Chelsea - Manchester United
FC Everton - FC Arsenal
Manchester City - FC Fulham
FC Middlesbrough - Newcastle United
Norwich City - Crystal Palace
FC Portsmouth - Birmingham City
Tottenham Hotspur - FC Liverpool
GO SPURS!!! :strong:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++
This kid scores! At PSV he scored 105 goals in 122 games over four seasons.
Now take a look at his European goalscoring record :D I've got nothing against him, but it baffles me how he can perform so poorly in Europe. You can't just say that it's because of the quality of the league, I mean ffs he's obviously got some sort of talent

Jul 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
I don't think they should've. He's not world-class, but as things are atm Geremi's the only man they have capable of playing out on the right.
I think he is world class......and very flexible too...plays equally well on both sides and has got a mean left foot on him. They let him go for peanuts.....and they haven't signed a replacement.........and you won't find many of his caliber in the market these days.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++

and GO CHELSEA................................to division one. :groan:
yess!!! :D but that wont happen, not this year at least. we'll have to wait until abromovich goes bankrupt :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I think Chelsea will struggle a bit with width. Duff is a fantastic winger, but unless you play Robbin (sp?) on the right, there's no balance there. Geremi just isn't good enough. And even if you do, there's no cover for the wings - Duff is injury-prone. That said, the rest of that team is excellent, and they have to be favourites.

Arsenal were lucky to get away with poor squad depth last year. Campbell is usually missed frequently due to injury and/or suspension. Toure had an excellent season in central defense, but he may not necessarilly repeat that form. Pires is ageing, and I can't see him maintaining top form for long spells of the season, likewise Bergkamp. If they lose Vieira, they'll struggle to finish third. Otherwise, they'll be there or thereabout, but they won't win the title.

Man Utd look like a proper team for the first time in ages. They'll struggle initially with Ronaldo and van Nistelrooy out, but they finally have a strike force, rather than just a striker, and they have Ferdinand and Heinze coming in after a bit too. If they're close to the top at Christmas, I'm putting money on them.

Liverpool may improve, but short of Arsenal collapsing, they'll fall short. They don't have a pacy partner for Hyypia, so they'll struggle defensively unless they play Hamann. But if they play him and Gerard, they'll struggle to be creative enough. With the sale of Murphy (a huge mistake IMO) they have a grand total of two wingers (Kewell and Smicer), both injured, Smicer for a long time.

Newcastle have bought well, and I think they'll improve a lot this year. They finally have a holding mid in Butt, and a partner for Shearer in Kluivert. If Given, Kluivert and Robert all perform well over the season, Newcastle will be a bloody good team.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
I think Chelsea will struggle a bit with width. Duff is a fantastic winger, but unless you play Robbin (sp?) on the right, there's no balance there. Geremi just isn't good enough. And even if you do, there's no cover for the wings - Duff is injury-prone. That said, the rest of that team is excellent, and they have to be favourites.

Arsenal were lucky to get away with poor squad depth last year. Campbell is usually missed frequently due to injury and/or suspension. Toure had an excellent season in central defense, but he may not necessarilly repeat that form. Pires is ageing, and I can't see him maintaining top form for long spells of the season, likewise Bergkamp. If they lose Vieira, they'll struggle to finish third. Otherwise, they'll be there or thereabout, but they won't win the title.

Man Utd look like a proper team for the first time in ages. They'll struggle initially with Ronaldo and van Nistelrooy out, but they finally have a strike force, rather than just a striker, and they have Ferdinand and Heinze coming in after a bit too. If they're close to the top at Christmas, I'm putting money on them.

Liverpool may improve, but short of Arsenal collapsing, they'll fall short. They don't have a pacy partner for Hyypia, so they'll struggle defensively unless they play Hamann. But if they play him and Gerard, they'll struggle to be creative enough. With the sale of Murphy (a huge mistake IMO) they have a grand total of two wingers (Kewell and Smicer), both injured, Smicer for a long time.

Newcastle have bought well, and I think they'll improve a lot this year. They finally have a holding mid in Butt, and a partner for Shearer in Kluivert. If Given, Kluivert and Robert all perform well over the season, Newcastle will be a bloody good team.
No disagreements here, great analysis.

Who are everyone's initial picks for relegation?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Norwich, West Brom and Crystal Palace are the three up, and they might be the three down too. Everton, who've lost a lot of players (the number 17 comes to mind) and bought none (or one?) are going to struggle, as are Portsmouth and Man City could implode spectacularly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)