Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (17 Viewers)

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
Mubarak will be forced to leave and it should happen soon.

The only reason he wants to stay is cause he'd like to 'wash' his dirty work. But fuck him.
:tup:Exactly
Most of the people think Mubarak wants these last 6 months to organize himself and then make control of everything again,but i doubt that Mubarak would go for that scenario.

What is the problem if the new president is an US ally? Is that a problem at all for the Egyptians?
I know what's, for example, Rebel's problem, but I'm interested in the Egyptian view.
There is no problem if the new president is an US ally,but he should not be a slave to them.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,322
    Aljazeera just said that eyewitensses said that 3000 people have already reached the presedential palace.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,323
    Obama:

The Egyptian people have been told that there was a transition of authority, but it is not yet clear that this transition is immediate, meaningful or sufficient. Too many Egyptians remain unconvinced that the government is serious about a genuine transition to democracy, and it is the responsibility of the government to speak clearly to the Egyptian people and the world. The Egyptian government must put forward a credible, concrete and unequivocal path toward genuine democracy, and they have not yet seized that opportunity.

As we have said from the beginning of this unrest, the future of Egypt will be determined by the Egyptian people. But the United States has also been clear that we stand for a set of core principles. We believe that the universal rights of the Egyptian people must be respected, and their aspirations must be met. We believe that this transition must immediately demonstrate irreversible political change, and a negotiated path to democracy. To that end, we believe that the emergency law should be lifted. We believe that meaningful negotiations with the broad opposition and Egyptian civil society should address the key questions confronting Egypt's future: protecting the fundamental rights of all citizens; revising the Constitution and other laws to demonstrate irreversible change; and jointly developing a clear roadmap to elections that are free and fair.

We therefore urge the Egyptian government to move swiftly to explain the changes that have been made, and to spell out in clear and unambiguous language the step by step process that will lead to democracy and the representative government that the Egyptian people seek. Going forward, it will be essential that the universal rights of the Egyptian people be respected. There must be restraint by all parties. Violence must be forsaken. It is imperative that the government not respond to the aspirations of their people with repression or brutality. The voices of the Egyptian people must be heard.

The Egyptian people have made it clear that there is no going back to the way things were: Egypt has changed, and its future is in the hands of the people. Those who have exercised their right to peaceful assembly represent the greatness of the Egyptian people, and are broadly representative of Egyptian society. We have seen young and old, rich and poor, Muslim and Christian join together, and earn the respect of the world through their non-violent calls for change. In that effort, young people have been at the forefront, and a new generation has emerged. They have made it clear that Egypt must reflect their hopes, fulfill their highest aspirations, and tap their boundless potential. In these difficult times, I know that the Egyptian people will persevere, and they must know that they will continue to have a friend in the United States of America.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,324
    CNN says there are 1,000-2,000 protesters who have reached the presidential palace, an extremely sensitive site which nobody has marched to thus far. We're hearing that they are settling in for the night. That means there could be consistent, camped-out protests at Tahrir, parliament, and the presidential palace.

-------------------------------

Al Jazeera Arabic reports roughly 10,000 protesters are surrounding the state TV building in Cairo. The protesters are planning to spend the night there.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,325
    Sorry for multiposting, but I'm trying to keep myself and others updated tonight in order not to sleep

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    and as we speak there are protesters already at the palace where both mubarak and his vice reside and are protected by the national guard which receive there orders straight from mubarak and not from the ministry of defence ( i never knew that i just found this out now). there are rumours spreading now that millions will join those at the palace but it still remains misty as people are waiting for what the military council speech 2 will hold.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    ok the second speech by the military council states that the military backs the people up, and agrees with the delegation of presidential responsibilities to the vice, with a promise to lift the emergency law, no legal trials for the people involved in the demonstrations, changing the egyptain election laws, and a promise to bring about free elections and the protection of egyptain soil.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,331
    Anyway, the statement of the army just proved that the army supports Mubarak and Suleiman. A classic way to frustrate people. I don't know about you, guys, but I think that the army and Suleiman will make a massacre (Hafez Al-Asad style) sooner or later because they can not bear this for too long.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Anyway, the statement of the army just proved that the army supports Mubarak and Suleiman. A classic way to frustrate people. I don't know about you, guys, but I think that the army and Suleiman will make a massacre (Hafez Al-Asad style) sooner or later because they can not bear this for too long.
    What did they say? Because it seemed that army up until this point were neutral or in favor of the people?

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,334
    What did they say? Because it seemed that army up until this point were neutral or in favor of the people?
    They repeated the same words of Mubarak and Suleiman aka September elections and such things...

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    They repeated the same words of Mubarak and Suleiman aka September elections and such things...
    Thanks.

Do you think they can go that far and start killing civilians? What would that accomplish, that would kill their tourism industry, it would mean very bad business for them. And so far army didn't seem to be in favor of violence.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,337
    Mine is nice :andy2:

Thanks.

Do you think they can go that far and start killing civilians? What would that accomplish, that would kill their tourism industry, it would mean very bad business for them. And so far army didn't seem to be in favor of violence.
    Well, it depends on how much the army leaders are like Mubarak, character wise. He did not have any problem killing his people and torturing them for thirty years. So far, the army did not send positive indication that it will be any different.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Well when you span the killings in a 30 year span than it doesn't seem so bad, but if he would kill all them in one day that would be devastating for the image. Considering how this stuff is covered around the world and the whole social networking, I think it would be a very devastating thing to do.

I think the President is holding his grounds only because of his pride and he would probably do if given the chance, but I don't think there are no one around him that understands that his time is come to an end and that to start killing civilians would be a very bad move for the future of the country. Because it would leave a very big mark on the international society and the people of Egypt an unlikely scenario I think. He is probably playing on people fears that this might happen in hopes that they will stop protesting. More likely in my opinion.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,339
    From the guardian:

A lot of people seem to have reacted with enthusiasm with the army's pronouncement that the emergency law will be lifted but the qualification expressed makes it far too early to celebrate. As the activist and blogger SandMonkey points out:

The emergency law isn't lifted. It will be lifted once "calm is restored", which could mean after all of us are arrested. #jan25

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)