Egypt: from 2011 demonstrations to today (8 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
The problem is, those contracts are a long term ones. For example the Gas contract runs till 2020 if im not mistaken, and I really can't see the Egyptian government doing anything about it not for anything but the fact that court penalties will be harder on their heads than a spinning titanium missile.

The only thing they could do is to make sure they don't extend such contracts or make new ones in the future.
you r right for sure ahmed, how ever adjusting the price by which we export the natural gas is allowed. we sell them the gas for a very very low price i dont really recall the difference in price between the one we give them and the actual market price all i know they take it for peanuts!!! so i think thats a positive step even though the principle it self does not sit well with the people here but like u mentioned the penalties the we will face if the contracts are scrapped are un known to us since non of us know the actual pointers in the contract.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
:D

I can't see 1 minute video here lately, Ahmed, because of the stupid speed of the net. Do you want me to try three hours :D
:D:D:D i understood the situation in the arabic thread i had the same issue for two months until i changed my internet provider bec also the reception was horrible in my area. any way look u have'nt missed out on a lot i will try to find u the written report of the episode if not then i will tell u the points worth mentioning :D i

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
you r right for sure ahmed, how ever adjusting the price by which we export the natural gas is allowed. we sell them the gas for a very very low price i dont really recall the difference in price between the one we give them and the actual market price all i know they take it for peanuts!!! so i think thats a positive step even though the principle it self does not sit well with the people here but like u mentioned the penalties the we will face if the contracts are scrapped are un known to us since non of us know the actual pointers in the contract.
From what I've read you sell them your Gas cheaper by 1/16 from the price you sell it to us here in Jordan. Disgrace really but that's Mubarak for you.

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
Bos ya Abed I've discussed this issue a million times recently with all people, we all know the high ranks in the army are corrupt to a point as well, Mubarak brought him in the first place, but the army as a whole is very organised and clean system, yes there is corruption in it like everything else but it's much less and it doesn't ruin its system

we don't like Tantawi much but we're one hand with the army as a whole, and we can't attack it at all now, everything in the country has fallen and we're starting to rebuild them, except the army is still standing and holding everything together, if it falls now everything will be ruined
their time is coming but not before the elections and when everything else is stable again specially economy and internal affairs

and either way Tantawi is one man, he doesn't make decisions alone and he responds to pressure from us, he learned the lesson that Mubarak and Arab leaders haven't learned yet

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,667
    Bos ya Abed I've discussed this issue a million times recently with all people, we all know the high ranks in the army are corrupt to a point as well, Mubarak brought him in the first place, but the army as a whole is very organised and clean system, yes there is corruption in it like everything else but it's much less and it doesn't ruin its system

we don't like Tantawi much but we're one hand with the army as a whole, and we can't attack it at all now, everything in the country has fallen and we're starting to rebuild them, except the army is still standing and holding everything together, if it falls now everything will be ruined
    their time is coming but not before the elections and when everything else is stable again specially economy and internal affairs

and either way Tantawi is one man, he doesn't make decisions alone and he responds to pressure from us, he learned the lesson that Mubarak and Arab leaders haven't learned yet
    I like your optimistic view, but I think that if the chief guy who leads the change is a corrupt idiot, then nothing will be changed IMo. I hope things will be better for you people, but the indicators say that those who lead the ship now are not that better.

Naggar

Bianconero
    Sep 4, 2007
    If one man is corrupt in a clean system, it will remain clean. and if one man is clean in a corrupt system, it will remain corrupt unless he's superman

but it's true that in the army he's not very popular.

anyway he's not really leading the change, he just approves decisions made by us and the government, the ones really making change are us, the law system النائب العام and the new prime minister Essam Sharaf whose a great man so far

but it's obvious that Tantawi is half with us and half with Mubarak, he didn't bring him to justice until we protested last Friday and planned for the Friday after (today) to hit Sharm and bring Mubarak ourselves, so of course he had to get moving
    now we're finally starting to get satisfied since most of what we asked for is happening, and the rest can come by hard work

I am optimistic finally

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005

If one man is corrupt in a clean system, it will remain clean. and if one man is clean in a corrupt system, it will remain corrupt unless he's superman

but it's true that in the army he's not very popular.

anyway he's not really leading the change, he just approves decisions made by us and the government, the ones really making change are us, the law system النائب العام and the new prime minister Essam Sharaf whose a great man so far

but it's obvious that Tantawi is half with us and half with Mubarak, he didn't bring him to justice until we protested last Friday and planned for the Friday after (today) to hit Sharm and bring Mubarak ourselves, so of course he had to get moving
    now we're finally starting to get satisfied since most of what we asked for is happening, and the rest can come by hard work

I am optimistic finally
    reb to answer yr question, i recommend you read the blog posted by naggar its not written in stone off course but in my opinion its not far from the truth in other words if one day the truth comes out and it wont be far off from this. now when u consider the articles u posted regarding this topic and the blog u get the bigger picture of things. there are some scary scenerios in the blog, for me it had to be the burning and destruction of the files if indeed it was orchestrated like the blog states then i think we r looking at sth huge. i understand the importance of state secrecy but i think people owe to know the truth about a few things specially those that have left us puzzled for years! and once again this blog states what i told u before that the army was ordered to crush the revolution but they did'nt side with mubarak on it and i think anan is the reason behind it as mentioned before in al-arabiyaa on the 28th of january bec thats when i first came to know about him.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Mubarak name ordered removed from public view in Egypt

A court ordered the the names of ex-president Hosni Mubarak and his wife Suzanne removed from all public facilities.

The names and photos of ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his wife Suzanne are to be removed from all public facilities and institutions, a court ordered Thursday.

Portraits of the former president have already been taken down at public institutions across the country, according to the BBC.

Mubarak at one point during his 29 years in power said that out of modesty he didn’t want his name put on public buildings, but now there are perhaps thousands of schools, streets, squares, sports fields and libraries that bear the name of the former leader or his wife — as well as a major subway station at Ramses Square in central Cairo, according to the Associated Press.

The 82-year-old is currently under arrest at a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh and due for questioning when well enough on charges of corruption and the deadly shooting of protesters during the popular uprising.

His two sons, Alaa and Gamal, are also in prison pending investigations into similar allegations.

Egypt's state news agency Mena reported on Thursday that his health was "unstable."

Suzanne Mubarak, who wielded a great deal of influence from behind the scenes, is due to be questioned over allegations of illegally amassing wealth.

In announcing the ruling, Judge Mohammed Hassan Omar reportedly said: "It has become clear that the size of the corruption [under Mubarak] that’s being uncovered every day exceeds by far anyone’s imagination.”

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    Fact finding mission says 846 dead and 6,467 injured in Egypt's uprising

By Heba Fahmy /Daily News Egypt April 19, 2011, 7:40 pm

CAIRO: The official fact-finding mission investigating the death toll of Egypt’s revolution released on Tuesday its final report, saying that at least 846 were killed and 6,467 injured during the popular uprising that toppled the Egyptian regime and forced president Hosni Mubarak to step down in February.

According to a 30-page summary of the 400-page report, the revolution also left 26 officers and one prisoner dead.

Initial statistics by the Ministry of Health put the death toll during the revolution at 384, even though the independent Front to Defend Egypt's Protestors (FDEP) had claimed that the number was closer to 685.

The report confirmed that police fired live ammunition at peaceful protesters across Egypt starting Jan. 25, adding police only use live rounds if they are authorized to do so by a committee headed by the interior minister and high ranking officers.

"The fatal shots were due to firing bullets at the head and the chest," the report read, adding that "a huge number of eye injures," filled hospitals, and hundreds lost their sight.

The mission held Mubarak ultimately responsible for the killing of the protesters since his interior minister, Habib El-Adly, had issued the orders to open fire.

Former Interior Minister Habib El-Adly is facing trial on April 24 for the premeditated murder of protesters, the attempted murder of others as well as inflicting major damages to public and private property which had a negative impact on the economy.

Mubarak and his sons Gamal and Alaa are also being investigated on suspicion of involvement in the killing of protesters during the 18-day uprising.

On Tuesday, prosecutors questioned former intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who was briefly vice president in Mubarak's last days in office, in connection with violence against protesters, the general prosecutor's office said.

"What is confirmed is that Mubarak's permission (to use live fire on protesters) must be obtained. The shooting lasted for several days, and he did not hold accountable those who fired live rounds," judge Omar Marwan, the mission’s secretary general, said at a press conference on Tuesday.

"That confirms his involvement in responsibility," he said.

Regarding the violent attack on Tahrir Square on Feb. 2, using horses and camels, the report said that protesters in Tahrir detained some of the “thugs” and their IDs proved that they were plain-clothed policemen and members of the former ruling National Democratic Party.

Marwan said that the snipers who shot live ammunition at protesters in Tahrir that day were officers from the anti-terrorism department.

Witnesses told the mission that the raid was organized by members of the now defunct National Democratic Party who were also MPs in the dissolved People’s Assembly and Shoura Council as well as some policemen.

A former army official told the mission that the police had orders to withdraw from their posts and wear civilian clothes on Jan. 28, a claim that was backed by witnesses in Al-Kasr El-Aini hospital.

The report's summary did not accuse officials by name, but Marwan said the mission had submitted a list of dozens of officials accused of involvement in the crackdown to the general prosecutor.

The enquiry is based on accounts of 17,058 officials and eyewitnesses along with 800 video clips and pictures obtained from individuals who were present at the protests, Marwan said.

The mission also investigated the incident captured in a YouTube video, in which a white van ran over several protesters on Qasr El-Aini Street on Jan. 28.

The report said that the van was found dismantled near a police station and its owner couldn’t be identified through the traffic department or customs, adding that an officer testified that the van was reportedly stolen from the US Embassy, but that investigations were under way to uncover the details surrounding the incident.

The enquiry also addressed the security vacuum that began on the night of Jan 28 when the military was deployed. The complete absence of police left the streets of Cairo and other governorates unguarded for weeks, as dozens of suspects and prisoners escaped prisons all over the country in the following days.

The report cited videos that showed the police encouraging prisoners to escape in order to cause mayhem and frighten people.

Prisoners escaped from 11 of Egypt’s 41 prisons, representing 26 percent of prisons, according to the report.

Palestinian group Hamas was also accused of breaking into Abou Zaabal prison in which 29 inmates affiliated with Hamas and Hezbollah were kept.

The report also stated that heavy artillery unlike anything used by Egyptian police or military was used in the break-in, and witnesses said Bedouins broke into the prison to help the Hamas inmates.

According to an announcement on Cabinet’s Facebook page, Marwan said that he will present the 400-page report to the Minister of Justice and the Prosecutor General to take the necessary action.

Taher Abou El-Nasr, human rights lawyer at the FDEP, told DNE that the report confirmed what all Egyptians knew about the involvement of the interior ministry in killing peaceful protesters and causing the security vacuum.

“However the evidence that the report presents will help us as human rights lawyers in supporting our legal cases against the regime,” said Abou El-Nasr. –Additional reporting by agencies.

source: http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/hu...dead-and-6467-injured-in-egypts-uprising.html

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    Egypt revolution hero to leave Google, set up NGO

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Wael Ghonim, the Google executive who became the hero of the Egyptian revolution, on Sunday said he planned to take an extended break from the Internet giant to set up his own NGO in Egypt.

"Decided to take a long term sabbatical from @Google & start a technology focused NGO to help fight poverty & foster education in #Egypt," Ghonim wrote in a message on the micro-blogging site Twitter.

Ghonim, Google's head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, administered the Facebook page that helped spark the uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak's regime.

The 30-year-old gave an emotional television interview shortly after he was released from 12 days in police custody that is credited with re-energizing the movement just as it appeared to be losing steam.

In an interview with CBS's "60 Minutes" after the regime started to crumble, Ghonim said the protests that led to the Mubarak's ouster would never have happened without online social networks.

"If there was no social networks it would have never been sparked. Because the whole thing before the revolution was the most critical thing. Without Facebook, without Twitter, without Google, without YouTube, this would have never happened."

TIME recently placed the Egyptian-born Ghonim on its list of the 100 most influential people of 2011 -- on the magazine's website he appeared as the first name, although TIME insists there is no actual ranking.

"Wael Ghonim embodies the youth who constitute the majority of Egyptian society," read a profile in the magazine penned by former UN atomic energy chief and potential Egyptian presidential candidate Mohamed ElBaradei.

"But, as with many of his generation, (he) remained apolitical due to loss of hope that things could change in a society permeated for decades with a culture of fear.

"By emphasizing that the regime would listen only when citizens exercised their right of peaceful demonstration and civil disobedience, Wael helped initiate a call for a peaceful revolution."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110424/tc_afp/egyptusunrestinternetgoogleghonim

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    Egypt revolution hero to leave Google, set up NGO

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Wael Ghonim, the Google executive who became the hero of the Egyptian revolution, on Sunday said he planned to take an extended break from the Internet giant to set up his own NGO in Egypt.

"Decided to take a long term sabbatical from @Google & start a technology focused NGO to help fight poverty & foster education in #Egypt," Ghonim wrote in a message on the micro-blogging site Twitter.

Ghonim, Google's head of marketing for the Middle East and North Africa, administered the Facebook page that helped spark the uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak's regime.

The 30-year-old gave an emotional television interview shortly after he was released from 12 days in police custody that is credited with re-energizing the movement just as it appeared to be losing steam.

In an interview with CBS's "60 Minutes" after the regime started to crumble, Ghonim said the protests that led to the Mubarak's ouster would never have happened without online social networks.

"If there was no social networks it would have never been sparked. Because the whole thing before the revolution was the most critical thing. Without Facebook, without Twitter, without Google, without YouTube, this would have never happened."

TIME recently placed the Egyptian-born Ghonim on its list of the 100 most influential people of 2011 -- on the magazine's website he appeared as the first name, although TIME insists there is no actual ranking.

"Wael Ghonim embodies the youth who constitute the majority of Egyptian society," read a profile in the magazine penned by former UN atomic energy chief and potential Egyptian presidential candidate Mohamed ElBaradei.

"But, as with many of his generation, (he) remained apolitical due to loss of hope that things could change in a society permeated for decades with a culture of fear.

"By emphasizing that the regime would listen only when citizens exercised their right of peaceful demonstration and civil disobedience, Wael helped initiate a call for a peaceful revolution."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110424/tc_afp/egyptusunrestinternetgoogleghonim

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,677
    What is the impression now in Egypt?

That the revolution succeeded?

What are the reactions for the requests to release Mubarak and his gang after his wife and his consultant were already released today?

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    What is the impression now in Egypt?

That the revolution succeeded?

What are the reactions for the requests to release Mubarak and his gang after his wife and his consultant were already released today?
    that is a question with a huge answer to be honest Reb :) the impression in this min is not pleasant, the release of both zakria azmy and suzie is not going to go that easy i dont know what where they thinking. i dont know how suzie was released but i know azmy was released due to his age and health ( i dont know the truth in that ) there is sth going on for sure but no one knows what and who is behind it.

today int he morning we woke up too Mubarak wanting to ask forgiveness blah blah but the people from the survery i've seen dont want to even see his face let a lone hear what he has to say. also there are rumours spreading that he changed his mind at the end and this was just used to test the waters obviously the feed back they got was loud and clear.

another hot topic being discussed heavily is the appointment of the foriegn affairs minister to the araab league a move a lot of people to this mind dont understand and i think its obvious its bec of his policy which allows the gates at rafah to be opened and also starting some sort of relation with iran.

a few weeks back ( 2-3 weeks) they removed all the signs int he under ground that had the name mubarak on it and replaced them with other signs but to be honest i think thats nothing more than a small way to show people they r working ( for me personally it holds no significance )

also i have to admit there is some sort of insecurity for the past month, i dont know if you came across some vid's or not reb but there has been some horrific killings and attacks on hospitals its insane. the police are not 100% in the street yet and if they are they cant seem to control things the way they should and so the military is still down with them.

finally but never least the events that toke place between muslims and coptics in imbaba are just not normal and it reflects the unsettling atmosphere we r living in at the moment.

i personally think people will go down on friday bec to this min not everything has been accomplished and with the release of both these two there is fear they will all come out one by one and nothing would be accomplished. word spreading on facebook states the 27th of may as a new date for people to go down to tahrir all over again so i dont know bro i think if things stay this way they will end up doing that.

also i have to be un-biased the people are abusing the current situation too, for example last week i was in hurgadah and despite it being enforced by law taxi drivers never used meters and it was what they wanted or u get into un-necessary fights it was'nt until the last day for me there that they started using the meter bec the poilce has finally decieded to show up in the streets and enforce law. measure this to other aspects of life and u will get a bigger picture. sure the blame cant fall on the people but the police in particular is pretty slow for my liking. as for the military council they were pre-occuipied with the issues of the mini civil war that broke out. tomorrow i think we will have a clearer picture as to what is going on and why these two were released.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #1,679
    that is a question with a huge answer to be honest Reb :) the impression in this min is not pleasant, the release of both zakria azmy and suzie is not going to go that easy i dont know what where they thinking. i dont know how suzie was released but i know azmy was released due to his age and health ( i dont know the truth in that ) there is sth going on for sure but no one knows what and who is behind it.

today int he morning we woke up too Mubarak wanting to ask forgiveness blah blah but the people from the survery i've seen dont want to even see his face let a lone hear what he has to say. also there are rumours spreading that he changed his mind at the end and this was just used to test the waters obviously the feed back they got was loud and clear.

another hot topic being discussed heavily is the appointment of the foriegn affairs minister to the araab league a move a lot of people to this mind dont understand and i think its obvious its bec of his policy which allows the gates at rafah to be opened and also starting some sort of relation with iran.

a few weeks back ( 2-3 weeks) they removed all the signs int he under ground that had the name mubarak on it and replaced them with other signs but to be honest i think thats nothing more than a small way to show people they r working ( for me personally it holds no significance )

also i have to admit there is some sort of insecurity for the past month, i dont know if you came across some vid's or not reb but there has been some horrific killings and attacks on hospitals its insane. the police are not 100% in the street yet and if they are they cant seem to control things the way they should and so the military is still down with them.

finally but never least the events that toke place between muslims and coptics in imbaba are just not normal and it reflects the unsettling atmosphere we r living in at the moment.

i personally think people will go down on friday bec to this min not everything has been accomplished and with the release of both these two there is fear they will all come out one by one and nothing would be accomplished. word spreading on facebook states the 27th of may as a new date for people to go down to tahrir all over again so i dont know bro i think if things stay this way they will end up doing that.

also i have to be un-biased the people are abusing the current situation too, for example last week i was in hurgadah and despite it being enforced by law taxi drivers never used meters and it was what they wanted or u get into un-necessary fights it was'nt until the last day for me there that they started using the meter bec the poilce has finally decieded to show up in the streets and enforce law. measure this to other aspects of life and u will get a bigger picture. sure the blame cant fall on the people but the police in particular is pretty slow for my liking. as for the military council they were pre-occuipied with the issues of the mini civil war that broke out. tomorrow i think we will have a clearer picture as to what is going on and why these two were released.
    Thanks Ahmad for that. I hope things will be clearer in the near future.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    why egyptains should go to Tahrir on the 27th of may by mood aka sand monkey

One Last Time
    May 25, 2011 By The Sandmonkey 24 Comments

In political science, there is a philosophical conundrum regarding the concept of “being for democracy”, and it has started 6 million thousand debates. Underlying that conundrum is the following question: Does being for Democracy mean supporting whatever decision the majority takes, even if it means the destruction of said democracy? Or does it mean supporting and ensuring the survival of the democratic process, even if it’s against the will of the majority? If the difference eludes you, let me give you an example, from right here in the middle-east. Algeria in 1991.

Now, in 1991, there was the first real attempt for democratic elections in Algeria, and the Islamic Salvation Front- an Islamist party- ran on the platform that there is no democracy in Islam, and that the moment they will seize power, they will cancel future democratic elections. And they won, the majority actually voted in a party that would end all voting, which led the army to immediately cancel the election, which in turn started a civil war that plunged the country into chaos for a number of years. Now, who is right here? Would you support the ISF’s win, even if it means that there will be no more democratic elections ever, and thus no checks and balances on their power? Or do you believe that democracy’s survival is more important for the well-being and the future generations that will come to this country, even if it subverts the will of the majority? A fun little conundrum, eh? People go on and on about it.

Now, let me tell you why I joined the revolution in the first place: Besides getting rid of our past lovely authoritarian regime, all I wanted out of all this was an Egyptian bill of rights, unalienable and irrevocable no matter who is in Power. I wanted the right to free speech, the right to free expression (artistic and otherwise), the right to peaceful assembly, the right to religious freedom, the right of equality between all citizens in terms of rights & freedoms (irrespective of Gender, religion, race, lineage, language, social origin or political opinion), the right to information and transparency to keep our government always in check, the right not to be subjugated to torture, or cruel or inhumane treatment, the right for equal protection of the law and security, the right not to be arbitrarily arrested, detained, exiled or have your citizenship stripped from you, The right to be considered Innocent until proven guilty and to be tried by a fair and impartial civil tribunal, where everyone has legal representation, and finally the right to education. Those are the rights I risked life and limb for, and they are not new or novel ideas, and you can find them all, and many more, in the Universal Declaration for Human Rights, right here.

Now, when you start a revolution, you don’t have a revolution to plead for those rights: you have one to forcefully take them from those who denied them to you. Those rights are the foundation for any advanced democratic society or country, and they are not up for debate or discussion, and I will be damned if I will have someone elected in parliament denying me those rights or trying to negotiate or barter over them. I am sorry. I want in my constitution those rights, irrespective of who gets voted into power. And those who get into power should not be allowed to tamper with them or change them in any way, but are allowed to do whatever they want to the constitution after that. I don’t care if those elected state that we will be a Fascist country with Scientology as the source of all legislation, for whatever they will do, or whatever authoritarian/ sectarian/racist/sexist legislation that they will try to enforce on us in the name of security/ public morality/whatever will not be able to ever interfere with our blood-earned rights. As long as we have those rights in our constitution, we should be ok on the long run, and never be abused by a leader or a regime again.

But that’s my reason, and you can agree or disagree with it as much as you want. What I would like to discuss now, is why you, the general public, should go to the May 27 protests. Now, I won’t ask you to do so for my demands (although it would be nice if you did), nor for those of the protesters ( and god knows there are 7 different demands circulating right now, and many people who are going without a clear set of demands of their own) who are disorganized and divided and have given up on talking to anyone but themselves at this point, nor even to go there to defend the revolution. No, I want to talk to the silent Majority today regarding their set of interests: The Economy, Security and Stability, and why more than anyone, they should be going to May 27 to protest, because , seriously, if those are the three things you care about the most, well, you are getting screwed, and – just like the days of Mubarak-not by us! Sorry!

I know you will beg to differ, so let me present my argument, and then make up your mind. Deal?

On the Economy:

Now, the narrative regarding the economy has been as follows: The country is going downhill fast, all the statistics point to impending doom, we will go through our food reserves by the end of this month and the Tahrir Protesters have continued to hijack the wheel of production and are hiding it in Tahrir and covering it with protests. Does that sound about right? Ok, how about we tell the truth: The Transitional government and the SCAF for four months now have failed to present to you anything that resembled an emergency economic plan other than, well, the protests must stop. And they have repeatedly informed you with fantastic statistics about how screwed we are without once giving you a clear action plan as to how they plan to save it (And by the way, I see no difference in Tantawi asserting to us that we are a poor nation where 70% live under the poverty line without a clear plan or a notion of a plan as to how they will remedy that, and Mubarak’s famous response of “we are a country with limited resources; where am I supposed to feed you all from?” in an interview). Never mind for a minute that the whole “we will run out of our strategic wheat reserves at the end of this month” statement has been said by the SCAF every month for the past 4 months and it never happened, and let’s focus on the real issue: Where is the emergency aid package – consisting of money and food stamps- to egypt’s lowest economic classes designed to get them through the next few months until elections are held? Where is the stimulus package designed to aid small and mid-size businesses to also get through the transitional period? What? We have no money? Have you seen our Budget? None of you have. You don’t know what our revenues or expenses are, because we are not allowed to review the country’s finances until this day. Where are the new initiatives that they can spearhead and harness the positive energy that Tahrir created into creating many start-up and innovative companies? What about Tourism? How come there hasn’t been a single government initiative to encourage Tourism based on the fantastic goodwill that got generated in Tahrir? Why aren’t there freedom concerts being planned, touristic events- or even, Gee, I don’t know, a Jan25 Museum- to have people celebrate the new and free Egypt? Has Our Esteemed Minister of Tourism- whose previous job was owning a strawberry jam factory- proposed a single such initiative?

And what about the real hindrance to all businesses and economic developmental projects that wish to start in Egypt: institutional corruption? Why haven’t you tackled it or demanded it being addressed yet? And why do you perpetuate the Myth that Businessmen are being targeted? Having 7 or 8 corrupt very corrupt regime-connected Oligarchs in prison isn’t the country turning anti- Business or Businessmen, but rather anti- incredibly public corruption. Hey, Businessmen, you want to clear your names and not join the Mansours and Maghrabis in their self-imposed exile in London or join the other idiots that transferred billions to Dubai? Here is an idea: Join up and start the Businessmen Truth and Reconciliation initiative. We know that the supreme majority of you aren’t corrupt, but that you were surrounded by a corrupt culture that wouldn’t allow you to do anything without having you pay 18 different bribes. We get that, cause we all paid bribes to get any kind of public service done efficiently. Fine, so you paid bribes, but thankfully the Egyptian law is clear: if you paid a bribe to someone and reported it, they go to jail, and not you. So how about you all join up and file official charges against all of those you had to pay bribes to in order to get your business going and clear the slate once and for all? You wouldn’t be legally liable, and you would be doing the country a huge favor by exposing all the corrupt officials in all the ministries, municipalities and government institutions and cleaning them out once and for all. Imagine that. A Purge of all bribe-takers in all government institutions, and you would be the ones doing it. You would become Instant Heroes, and you would never have to pay a bribe again for your business to continue to function! Double Win! And if you are worried about legal liability, simply demand Amnesty. That’s the reconciliation part! And the government, if it’s really into cleaning the country of corruption, and calming the business community, they should’ve suggested that. They didn’t! You should demand it.

On the Security:

Let’s start with the simplest of questions: Where is the Police exactly? Do you know that besides showing some face as traffic police in some parts of Cairo, that’s the only time they have showed their face or done their jobs? Do you know that outside of the posh neighborhoods of Central Cairo (where the foreign journalists and local media move and congregate) the police still did not show up, and if they do, they refuse to act? Do you know that there are entire governorates that the Police never showed up at after the revolution, and the people are still fending for themselves there? And I am not going to talk about how when it comes to the 800+ people that got killed in the revolution, only one policeman was ever convicted for murder, and it was done in absentia because they can’t find him, because police abuse and murder doesn’t seem to bother you, even though they don’t care or differentiate who they kill. No, let’s talk numbers: The Police is the only group in the government that received raises for their salaries twice, and still didn’t show up for work. So, if we decide that we use the very unrealistically low average salary of 1000LE per policeman (factoring in low salary for Omanah and the high salaries of lewa2at) and multiply that to 1.5 Million official Policemen in Egypt, we are talking 1.5 Billion LE a month. That’s 6 Billion LE in the last 4 months, for not doing their jobs. Given that we are broke and our Budget is bleeding as they are saying, that’s money being wasted on people who were not doing their jobs before the revolution and are refusing to do so after, which I am sure you find to be unacceptable. The Police are getting paid to do a job, and if they are refusing to do it, then they shouldn’t be getting paid at all until they do it and they should be penalized for them. In essence, they swore an oath of death to uphold the law and protect you, and they are breaking that oath, which amounts to treason. How long do you intend to accept that and beg them to do their jobs? How long will you take that?

On Stability:

Stability comes from transparency. From understanding what is going on and where the country is going, which we don’t. We don’t know the date the elections will be held on, which technically could be less than 100 days away, until now. We have no clue what policies the government is taking, and what the different ministers have been doing for the past 4 months. Why isn’t it clear whether or not our government is taking action on the issues facing us? Why isn’t there a weekly report in all newspapers outlining the issues that the Transitional Government and the SCAF tackled this week, and the issues they have on their agenda for the next week? Why do we have to wait in front of Facebook until they release to us another Info-statement that is vague and sometimes in total contradiction to a previously released one? And while we are at it, why is this, this or this allowed to happen? How can there be stability in the light of all of this?

And my last question: Upon viewing all of this, how could you continue to sit still and not do something? How are you not the ones planning this Friday’s protest in Tahrir? You have been loyal. You have been on the side of reason. You have been accused time and time again that you are far too negative, far too complacent, far too willing to compromise for no reason and that you vehemently refuse to leave your couches to stand for something. That you are not willing to fight for the future of your country which you love. And you took all that, and You have made excuse after excuse for months and still got nothing. HOW ARE YOU NOT ANGRY?

This Friday I am going to Tahrir for one last time, and I am going because I believe my demands are just and legitimate. Yours are not any less valid, and you deserve to have them realized. So, if you went to Tahrir during the 18 days of the revolution, but stopped afterwards, it’s time to go again and make your demands known. If you have never been to Tahrir, and have been part of the “Silent Majority” who want nothing more than Security, Stability and Economic prosperity, then you, more than anyone, should go to Tahrir this Friday and for once make your voice heard and not be so silent after all. Just go once, and get all of your like-minded friends to go, and see if that won’t get your demands met ASAP. Your patience is taken for granted, and your pleadings fall on deaf ears on both sides. It’s time for you too to take a stand.

See you there!

source: http://www.sandmonkey.org/2011/05/25/one-last-time/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)