Edinson Cavani - ST - PSG (12 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Noone's taking into consideration Cavani's age. The fact that he's doing better in Napoli than in Palermo, might easily have to do with the fact that he's not a 20-22 year old anymore and he's hitting the best years, gaining experience on the way.
There are players who are very good at young age and keep the same form throughout the career. There are some who rock at young age and then become worse. The big majority though develops with age. There are hundreds and hundreds of cases when strikers weren't really great at 19 or 22, but became much better or even great after that.

For Cavani in particular there is nothing really strange. It can be seen that he didn't do well when he came as a 20 year old in Italy. With time he was getting better and he scored 13-14 goals in serie A in his last Palermo years. Every year, which is natural, he's becoming better and better. He's just 25 now and he recently entered the best years of a player's career.

It's the eye though that should give the verdict. My eye sees a top attacker who'd make it everywhere.

all about that and for a team like napoli to dish out 17 mil on a player who supposedly struggled in palermo(his app to to goal ratio dont tell the real story) speaks volume.

Adn Swag, how about falcao with colombia what has he done?

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Don't you think, at only 25, it is still a bit premature to rate him based off of his National team experiences?
I've seen him play a lot for the NT. Nothing to be proud of, which you should at least have a few examples of by 25.

You'll eat your words when he's scoring goals like rain at Juve next season swag :stuckup: :p
I'd love nothing more. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That doesn't explain his Uruguay form though. Sure, he's been on the bench a lot. But only two goals in competitive matches doesn't speak too highly.
It does explain it. While he played for Palermo he scored only 2 goals for the NT. In the last 21 months he scored 9 goals for the NT. He's improving his record even there, no matter if we're talking friendlies or official matches. That record will become much better once he takes his role of a CF in Uruguay, instead of playing as an attacking winger the way he did at the WC.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Now Falcao, for me, would arguably be worth spending twice for given what we would Cavani.

---------- Post added 20.04.2012 at 08:09 ----------

It does explain it. While he played for Palermo he scored only 2 goals for the NT. In the last 21 months he scored 9 goals for the NT. He's improving his record even there, no matter if we're talking friendlies or official matches. That record will become much better once he takes his role of a CF in Uruguay, instead of playing as an attacking winger the way he did at the WC.
Maybe statistically. But I'm talking about physically watching his play and seeing the impact he has on the match... or not.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Since when is that NT relevant to signing a player for your club? Zlatan went 2 years without scoring for Swedish NT, woopty fucking do, he still gurantees league titles to this day.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Now Falcao, for me, would arguably be worth spending twice for given what we would Cavani.

---------- Post added 20.04.2012 at 08:09 ----------

Maybe statistically. But I'm talking about physically watching his play and seeing the impact he has on the match... or not.

my friend, i have yet to see one player with cavani's physical output, when we say monster we really mean it

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Since when is that NT relevant to signing a player for your club? Zlatan went 2 years without scoring for Swedish NT, woopty fucking do, he still gurantees league titles to this day.
Zing! ^ If he scores 20+ for us I am happy, who cares about their national teams.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Absolutely true. But Zlatan has excelled at several different clubs. Cavani has excelled at just one club/team, and I'm hard-pressed to find something I like about him outside of Napoli.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I haven't really watched him except for the WC. In Coppa America he got injured at the start of the tournament so not much to see there either. He did play as an AML/AMR there.
I didn't watch the three WC 2014 qualifiers so I can't judge his form. I can see though that Uruguay still play with Forlan, Suarez and Cavani, so am I right to assume that he's again played out of position?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I haven't really watched him except for the WC. In Coppa America he got injured at the start of the tournament so not much to see there either. He did play as an AML/AMR there.
I didn't watch the three WC 2014 qualifiers so I can't judge his form. I can see though that Uruguay still play with Forlan, Suarez and Cavani, so am I right to assume that he's again played out of position?
I think he is played out of position on the Uruguay NT. But you can't argue Tabarez for the results. Though when I did see him from section 101, row 7 at the WC semis, he had no Suarez to push him aside and a craptastic Netherlands defense to poach against. And yet he looked lost.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So let me get this straight, Greg. You are basing your opinion mainly on the premise that Cavani has struggled with the National Team

#1) Who Cares

#2) Who Cares as long as he performs for Juve

#3) Using that logic, then Lionel Messi should be playing for Hercules

And I can't help but stress that the Diego and Tiago comparisons you are making are apples and oranges compared to Cavani. Firstly, they played in Germany and France, respectively. They were not 5 season Serie A veterans the way Cavani is.

Secondly, Cavani's job is to score goals, and he does it brilliantly, and consistently, in a variety of ways.

That comparison, quite frankly is

Attachments

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So let me get this straight, Greg. You are basing your opinion mainly on the premise that Cavani has struggled with the National Team
And Palermo.

Great player in a system that doesn't work for them cuts the value of said player by less than half sometimes.

See: Diego.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Cavani is undoubtedly an excellent player and one who, in theory, would be a good fit in Juve's system.

There's just something I don't quite trust about him.

I think my issue is that he plays, what I would consider, to be a relatively low-percentage game in that, unlike more goal-scorers, he wanders around a lot and has to time his runs into the box from deeper areas than most strikers.

When it comes off, it is incredibly difficult to stop, but it isn't as certain a way of getting chances as just positioning yourself well in the box a la trezeguet (or Falcao, for that matter).

Also, it has been plain for all to see the trouble Napoli and Cavani have playing against deep, packed defences. Given that Juve also have that problem, it wouldn't encourage me to sign Cavani over a more classic poacher.

None of this is to say Cavani isn't good or that Juve shouldn't sign him.

I'm just not sure I'd be willing to spend a stupid amount of money on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)