DP Finally Signs! (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Del Piero pens new deal
Thursday 2 October, 2003

Juventus have announced that Alessandro Del Piero has signed a four-year contract extension.

The Bianconeri captain, who only had a year left on his current deal, is now tied to the club until 30 June 2008.

Del Piero had stated recently that he was close to agreeing terms and the Italian champions announced this morning that a deal was done.

The Italian international will net himself around £5.7m a season, of which around £1.6m will consist of image rights.

The former Padova youngster, who joined Juve in 1993, will now probably end his career in Turin as he will be 34 when his new agreement expires.

------------------------------------------------------

Great news!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I dont like this. The deal is waaaaay too long, 5 more years! I personaly would have given him a 1 year extension with and option for 1 more year for the same wage, or two more with a wage cut. It will expire when he's 34 for God's sake!!! He could be a bloody flop earning 8 mil € per year. I dont expect him to be this good for more than the next 2 years, until he's 31 or 32. After that he'll start to lose form fast, just like Rui Costa, Rivaldo or Batistuta.

NOT a good deal IMO :(

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
I dont like this. The deal is waaaaay too long, 5 more years! I personaly would have given him a 1 year extension with and option for 1 more year for the same wage, or two more with a wage cut. It will expire when he's 34 for God's sake!!! He could be a bloody flop earning 8 mil € per year. I dont expect him to be this good for more than the next 2 years, until he's 31 or 32. After that he'll start to lose form fast, just like Rui Costa, Rivaldo or Batistuta.

agreee... any long term contract should only be offer untill the player is 32.. after that it should only be offer on a year to year basis base on performance and role in the club.... i hate to be in the situation where we cant field a very good player just becoz we dont want to put a high contract Del P. on the bench...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It's great that DP will end his career at Juve.

However, being as injury prone as he is, I think a 3 year deal would've made more sense.

Who knows, maybe the last 2 years of the deal are option years that can be exercised by the team

Regardless, it's not our money, let them do what they want.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
In terms of wages, yes that's correct from what I understand. He also has substantial income from the image rights, those I'm not sure about.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
I dont expect him to be this good for more than the next 2 years, until he's 31 or 32. After that he'll start to lose form fast, just like Rui Costa, Rivaldo or Batistuta.

Are you serious ?? Neddy is 31 yrs old, how about selling him this summer ??

I don't think you know Alex too well, coz if you did you would be happy rather than disappointed with this news ..

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #14
    ++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++

Are you serious ?? Neddy is 31 yrs old, how about selling him this summer ??
    Good point

I don't think you know Alex too well, coz if you did you would be happy rather than disappointed with this news ..
    Agreed, I think so many of us are being harsh on Alex, saying that it's a big waste of our money and he might be a flop... cmon guys, that's no way to treat an icon, no matter how much of a choker u think he is... It's not even your money :rolleyes:

What's wrong with keeping him at the club? He can be our Zola, our Sheringham, our Hubner... 32 isn't that old for a player, and considering that DP's style of play is hardly all-out athleticism, I think he'll still be much the same in that amount of time, if not more experienced. I think it's great that he'll end his career at Juve, because that's only right.

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
    eh.. Del Piero is no chocker in my eyes... obviously he's been here for 10 years so each time we get an exciting player for 3 or 4 years (i.e. Zidane or Nedved) we start discounting Del Piero's contributions by pointing to those players. Well i value Del Piero's contribution to this club more than any of those players and in my mind he deserves all the money we can give him. He is our icon.. you mention Del Piero's name the first thing people think about is Juventus. not Italy or anything else..... when Zidane was here if you mention his name the first thing people thought about was France....

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Good point

Agreed, I think so many of us are being harsh on Alex, saying that it's a big waste of our money and he might be a flop... cmon guys, that's no way to treat an icon, no matter how much of a choker u think he is... It's not even your money :rolleyes:

What's wrong with keeping him at the club? He can be our Zola, our Sheringham, our Hubner... 32 isn't that old for a player, and considering that DP's style of play is all-out athleticism, I think he'll still be much the same in that amount of time, if not more experienced. I think it's great that he'll end his career at Juve, because that's only right.

of coz its not our money. but if the money can be use to bring quality player to juve, then as a follower, i have the right to express my opinion ,am i...

we all know del piero and almost all of us appreciate him.. me myself personaly want him to retire as a Juventus player than anywhere else.. but surely a 33 ywear old Del P. still want to stay at juve for half that wage...this is a high risk bussiness investment IMO becoz nobody cant affordf to buy him if he cant perform consistently on all front anymore..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Great news....it just shows how confident juve feel about him :thumb:

now, let Moggi focus on the Davids issue...hopefully the 15% paycut could go to Davids or even a better deal for Camo :D

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by eringi ] ++
    eh.. Del Piero is no chocker in my eyes... obviously he's been here for 10 years so each time we get an exciting player for 3 or 4 years (i.e. Zidane or Nedved) we start discounting Del Piero's contributions by pointing to those players. Well i value Del Piero's contribution to this club more than any of those players and in my mind he deserves all the money we can give him. He is our icon.. you mention Del Piero's name the first thing people think about is Juventus. not Italy or anything else..... when Zidane was here if you mention his name the first thing people thought about was France....
    if the deal wouldn't agree by the both sides.and then he decides to leave juve.i wonder what would u think of him then:confused:anyway it's ok with me but i guess moggi should pay davids what he wants cuz he did great things for juve as well as delpiero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)