Douglas Costa (92 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
One can argue tho, that we played bigger teams at the final stretch, and the pressure was way higher as we always start slow
One could also argue that things were obviously not clicking well at the beginning of the season like they were the season prior so the pressure was higher to get the ball rolling again (especially with the way we were leaking in goals). We suffered some serious psychological blows earlier in the season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
One can argue tho, that we played bigger teams at the final stretch, and the pressure was way higher as we always start slow
And Dybala contributed in those 'big games' too

Winner against Spurs

Winner against Lazio

Match winning assist against Inter

The goal against Lazio swung the pendulum in our favor. It was the first time in the season i believe, we toppled Napoli from 1st place.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Mike, let's clarify one thing. Do you think the formation is to blame for the presumed defending with eight players or the instructions Dybala receives from Mister to save his energy?
I can give you plenty of examples of teams defending the same we do.
1. Barcelona 2015.
Do you want to tell me that all three MSN sacrificed in defence? They had Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic behind who are not some defensive powerhouses neither.
2. Atletico
They play the old school 442 with two strikers upfront.
3. Bayern
Lewandowski, Muller, Robben, Ribery

Plus, we almost conquered Europe playing 4231 destroying Barcelona on our way.

You mentioned our loss at home to Real but mind you we had Alex Sandro playing LWF who's a natural LB.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka
2015 Barcelona has such a viciously dangerous attack that caused most teams to compensate to be more defensively structured. Or go full offensive and fail.

Our 4231 worked cause Mandzukic has the workrate of a defensive midfielder, while beeing a winger and a forward at the same time, and Cuadrado has the lungs of 3 players and is actually a fullback

Bayern also defends as a 451. Robbery doesnt work extremely hard, but they do their positional coverage and tracking back, while the cam and cf do considerable work aswell.

Athletico, like juve, has a formidable organisation and sits extremely deep

- - - Updated - - -

And Dybala contributed in those 'big games' too

Winner against Spurs

Winner against Lazio

Match winning assist against Inter

The goal against Lazio swung the pendulum in our favor. It was the first time in the season i believe, we toppled Napoli from 1st place.
Yeah but, as said before, he's in a position where he's ought to perform, beeing carried as much as he is.

Reason i'm going for costa is that its unfair to consider his period of adapting. And once he did, he completely became unstoppable.

We cannot excuse dybala for bad periods, he wasent out that long. But you can take into consideration a period of adaption and after that Douglas was only insane

For me, his emergence was THE highlight of the season, player wise.

Imagine if we had two of them. left and right costa, backed by sandro and cuadrado

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Reason i'm going for costa is that its unfair to consider his period of adapting. And once he did, he completely became unstoppable.
This is like giving a participation trophy. Its unfair not to consider the first half of the season when discussing the player of the season. For reasons x, y or z, he didn't perform for a while. That's it. The impact that any of our players had on our season is what counts. Not the what-ifs, the potential, the expectations, or injuries.

That Costa performed so well afterwards is encouraging and can make us hope that next season he does it from the start. It can't rewrite the past.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Shows two things - that he had an exceptional new season for a foreign player new to the league, and that others didn't step up the plate in terms of individual performances. I'd say our big players varied between mediocre and decent-perhaps good seasons.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
He is better than Mandzo as LW, but he is more comfortable on the right, been like that since Shakhtar days. It's actually where the problem is – him, Paulo, Berna, and Juan are all prefer to operate there.
I dont know, always tought he looked more predictable on the right. On the left he looks like the purest of wingers. If my memory is right, his highlights this season came from the left

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 91)