Douglas Costa (21 Viewers)

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
SMS best player, immobile player of the season duh
Exactly. Few clubs is this as clear as it is for Lazio.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a scenario where the player with the most goals is not the best player of the season?
There are 1000 scenarios where the player with most goals is not the player of the season. I'm not sure that Dybala is my player of the season either as there is also Chiellini who held up our defense by himself when 3/4th our backline were unreliable for long stretches of the season.

Now, when a striker contributes to 52 goals for a club like Lazio there is absolutely no question. Not only is he their player of the season, his season is going into Lazio's history books. The rest is just a hipster opinion.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Pirlo at juventus?

Youre joking right?
Yes I was joking. Because my point was goals are not everything. If you play striker and the whole team sacrifices so you can score, then you should score.

All that matters to me in player evaluation is whether you are doing your particular job better or worse than someone else in that position. For me, I would have a hard time finding a LM/RM I would prefer to Costa in our 4-4-2 this year. It's not easy for a wide midfielder to produce so many magical moments in a 2 striker formation.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Yes I was joking. Because my point was goals are not everything. If you play striker and the whole team sacrifices so you can score, then you should score.

All that matters to me in player evaluation is whether you are doing your particular job better or worse than someone else in that position. For me, I would have a hard time finding a LM/RM I would prefer to Costa in our 4-4-2 this year. It's not easy for a wide midfielder to produce so many magical moments in a 2 striker formation.
I really used to like your posts before you fell into this 442, Dybala CF bullshit.

Whole team sacrifices for a striker than he should score. What does that even suppose to mean? In your opinion to score a goal is the simplest part? Why then strikers are the most expensive and best paid players when it is enough to just put some tree upfront and invest in the rest of the team?
Also, Costa barely played in 4231 because we only used it regularly at the start of the season when Douglas has never played. The wings were occupied by Mandzukic and Cuadrado before the latter got injured. After that we particularly ditched that formation in favor of 433.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I really used to like your posts before you fell into this 442, Dybala CF bullshit.

Whole team sacrifices for a striker than he should score. What does that even suppose to mean? In your opinion to score a goal is the simplest part? Why then strikers are the most expensive and best paid players when it is enough to just put some tree upfront and invest in the rest of the team?
Also, Costa barely played in 4231 because we only used it regularly at the start of the season when Douglas has never played. The wings were occupied by Mandzukic and Cuadrado before the latter got injured. After that we particularly ditched that formation in favor of 433.

The team is sacrificing no matter how you look at it. It's easier to defend with 9 players. Most teams nowadays defend with a 4-5-1. We defend with a 4-4-2. We are asking 8 players behind the strikers to defend with the same efficiency as a team defends with 9. So they have to sacrifice. They have to run more. They can't make as many risky runs in behind because they will have no one to replace them in the two banks of four.

I'm not a Dybala hater but he has the easiest position on the team. He does no defending and no grunt work against CBs. He just has to find space between the lines. He saves all his sprinting for the attack.

There's no question that the team carries water for him and a lesser extent Higuain. If our defense manages to produce the same efficiency with only 8 as other teams produce with 9 then we should expect our attackers to provide that extra benefit.

When you see how we get killed at home by Madrid in a 4-4-2 and we win away with a 4-3-3, you see how perhaps Higuain/Dybala is not really providing that extra benefit all the time.

I don't understand how I have to explain the immense differences between a 2 striker formation and a 1 striker formation. If you have ever played as a midfielder in these 2 systems you should know, even at a juvenile level, how much harder it is and it is quite literally sacrifice for the attackers.

There's a reason that UEFA makes a twitter post grouping Dybala, Higuain and Cuadrado as "attackers' and Cuadrado literally laughs at it.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
The team is sacrificing no matter how you look at it. It's easier to defend with 9 players. Most teams nowadays defend with a 4-5-1. We defend with a 4-4-2. We are asking 8 players behind the strikers to defend with the same efficiency as a team defends with 9. So they have to sacrifice. They have to run more. They can't make as many risky runs in behind because they will have no one to replace them in the two banks of four.

I'm not a Dybala hater but he has the easiest position on the team. He does no defending and no grunt work against CBs. He just has to find space between the lines. He saves all his sprinting for the attack.

There's no question that the team carries water for him and a lesser extent Higuain. If our defense manages to produce the same efficiency with only 8 as other teams produce with 9 then we should expect our attackers to provide that extra benefit.

When you see how we get killed at home by Madrid in a 4-4-2 and we win away with a 4-3-3, you see how perhaps Higuain/Dybala is not really providing that extra benefit all the time.

I don't understand how I have to explain the immense differences between a 2 striker formation and a 1 striker formation. If you have ever played as a midfielder in these 2 systems you should know, even at a juvenile level, how much harder it is and it is quite literally sacrifice for the attackers.

There's a reason that UEFA makes a twitter post grouping Dybala, Higuain and Cuadrado as "attackers' and Cuadrado literally laughs at it.
:tup:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
How is this even related to who our best performer was? That's a discussion about the market.

- - - Updated - - -

A whole bunch of more unrelated stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Now this is just absurd. The trequartista the easiest position on the team... Done.

Since you asked the question before, who was Lazio player of the season?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
So telling about our season, that we don't have a clear candidate for player of the season.

Inconsistency all around. So much work to do in the preseason. Style, formation, new players.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012

Mike, let's clarify one thing. Do you think the formation is to blame for the presumed defending with eight players or the instructions Dybala receives from Mister to save his energy?
I can give you plenty of examples of teams defending the same we do.
1. Barcelona 2015.
Do you want to tell me that all three MSN sacrificed in defence? They had Iniesta, Busquets and Rakitic behind who are not some defensive powerhouses neither.
2. Atletico
They play the old school 442 with two strikers upfront.
3. Bayern
Lewandowski, Muller, Robben, Ribery

Plus, we almost conquered Europe playing 4231 destroying Barcelona on our way.

You mentioned our loss at home to Real but mind you we had Alex Sandro playing LWF who's a natural LB.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Douglas Costa is the player of the season, no doubt about it. Only Dybala comes close.
Dybala's first few months was as good as Douglas' final stretch

The season spans over 10 months

There is no unanimous choice on Juve's player of the season this year. Everyone chipped in, in decisive periods of the season.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

There is no unanimous choice on Juve's player of the season this year. Everyone chipped in, in decisive periods of the season.
Yep. No one seemed to be able to have a good spell for the majority of the season this year.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

One can argue tho, that we played bigger teams at the final stretch, and the pressure was way higher as we always start slow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)