Douglas Costa (34 Viewers)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
In my opinion, him and Matiudi were our best additions to the team this year. Also Benatia lifted his game to fill the Bonucci void.

His best position is on the right in an attacking 3. That is also Dybala's best position. Still not sure they both play at their best when they are both on the field.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
In my opinion, him and Matiudi were our best additions to the team this year. Also Benatia lifted his game to fill the Bonucci void.

His best position is on the right in an attacking 3. That is also Dybala's best position. Still not sure they both play at their best when they are both on the field.
I was a big fan of the Matuidi signing and I thought he was one of our better players until his injury. But since he came back into the squad (I think it was from the away game against Tottenham) he was reallllly bad. Looked like a worse version of Sissoko. Couldn’t pass or trap the ball to save his life and destroyed so many of our attacks. Hope to see a better version of him next season.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Costa definitely our player of the season. I'd put him ahead of Dybala on the right in a 3 man attack.

Matuidi, even with his drop in form, still adds a lot of ticker and grunt in our MF, which none of our other midfielders are able to provide. Think about Pjanic and Khedira. Marchisio is not at that energy level anymore, though Bentancur seems to offer a lot of energy with skills as well. Sturaro is a headless chook. I do think the likes of Emre Can would be a good addition to our MF.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Costa is a forward that has 20 goals less than Dybala this season for us. As good as he was, no way is he ahead of Dybala or player of the season.

Costa's output is not enough for his best position to be on the right. The times he played on the left he produced much more. In the span of a few games on the left he racked up the assist because he has a monster cross and the field opens up for him there.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Costa definitely our player of the season. I'd put him ahead of Dybala on the right in a 3 man attack.

Matuidi, even with his drop in form, still adds a lot of ticker and grunt in our MF, which none of our other midfielders are able to provide. Think about Pjanic and Khedira. Marchisio is not at that energy level anymore, though Bentancur seems to offer a lot of energy with skills as well. Sturaro is a headless chook. I do think the likes of Emre Can would be a good addition to our MF.
Dybala carried us through the first half of the season and scored huge goals ( lazio, Spurs). Scoring hatricks and winning games .Also assisted Higuains game winning goals against Napoli and Inter.

Costa was great and I believe our most important player in the Second half of the season but he was not our overall best player.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Costa is a forward that has 20 goals less than Dybala this season for us. As good as he was, no way is he ahead of Dybala or player of the season.

Costa's output is not enough for his best position to be on the right. The times he played on the left he produced much more. In the span of a few games on the left he racked up the assist because he has a monster cross and the field opens up for him there.
The whole team plays for Dybala/Higuain. Costa is playing in a midfield 4. He has to be helping the RB at all times. Dybala only sprints when he has the ball.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
And that makes Costa our best player?
That's not the point I was addressing. The guy said Costa is a forward when he's clearly not. He is in no position to even dream about scoring as much as Dybala. They do completely different things on the pitch.

But anyways, yes, Costa was probably our best player this season in my opinion. Not only did he provide vital moments (Dybala did as well of course). But he exceeded expectations defensively and in build up for me.

In his position, around the world, there are not too many better options at the moment. He should have played even more minutes this season. And his contributions would have been even higher. He ended with about the same minutes in Serie A as Lichtsteiner.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
That's not the point I was addressing. The guy said Costa is a forward when he's clearly not. He is in no position to even dream about scoring as much as Dybala. They do completely different things on the pitch.

But anyways, yes, Costa was probably our best player this season in my opinion. Not only did he provide vital moments (Dybala did as well of course). But he exceeded expectations defensively and in build up for me.

In his position, around the world, there are not too many better options at the moment. He should have played even more minutes this season. And his contributions would have been even higher. He ended with about the same minutes in Serie A as Lichtsteiner.
Costa over Dybala this season has to be a case of just remembering fresh memories of the last month instead of the whole campaign. 20 goals are huge. That difference buries any attacking player.

In the build up, Dybala had more passes, higher passing accuracy, more key passes, better shot accuracy, etc. On top of of course 20 more goals.

No comparison between Dybala's and Costa's contributions to our season. Its a double standard.

Had Costa played the whole season like he played the last month then its a different story.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Costa over Dybala this season has to be a case of just remembering fresh memories of the last month instead of the whole campaign. 20 goals are huge. That difference buries any attacking player.

In the build up, Dybala had more passes, higher passing accuracy, more key passes, better shot accuracy, etc. On top of of course 20 more goals.

No comparison between Dybala's and Costa's contributions to our season. Its a double standard. Expectations that were exceeded have no bearing on who the player of the season is. If your expectations were lower for Costa then just be pleasantly surprised, that doesn't mean anything about their performances.

Had Costa played the whole season like he played the last month then its a different story.
20 goals definitely is huge, but 10 of them were scored only a handful of games in. The second 10 were few and far between from then on.

It's great to have both players in the team but if you had to choose only one, Costa would probably edge him as he oozes danger whenever he's on, but Dybala is the better long term option.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
20 goals definitely is huge, but 10 of them were scored only a handful of games in. The second 10 were few and far between from then on.
And? does it not count? 20 goals were only the difference between them btw. Dybala scored 26.

For that matter, Costa's 3 goals and 6 assists came all in the last month. The rest were few and far between. Look at the games, Costa's goals or assists were far patchier than Dybala's he went through long dry stretches.

It's great to have both players in the team but if you had to choose only one, Costa would probably edge him as he oozes danger whenever he's on, but Dybala is the better long term option.
He oozed danger at the end of the season. It seems the rest is forgotten. In any case, oozing danger can never be as good as actually making things happen.

Unreal double standard.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008

No comparison between Dybala's and Costa's contributions to our season. Its a double standard.

Who do you think is Lazio's best player? Immobile or SMS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)