Douglas Costa (51 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Still not showing very much.

Some nice tricks but in the wrong areas and so far shown absolutely no end product.

When you consider he is our third highest earner, he should be coming off the bench and having an impact.
Exactly.

It's obviously too soon to pass judgement, but what we've seen so far ranges from underwhelming to downright terrible.

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
Cuadrado is a more effective player. I don't know why we got Costa over James. James hasn't been incredibly in Germany mostly due to injuries but he has outperformed Costa. I would like to see this at one point - maybe on a day the Higuain is being rested. I do want the team to give Cuadrado and Costa/Bernardeschi with inverted wings a longer look.

Issue with Cuadrado and we're starting to see it is that he is slowing down. He's still a very effective player, but he is slower than two years ago. He doesn't provide the same unpredictability as he did two years ago. Costa is more explosive for sure, but just a less effective player. Cuadrado is criminally underrated for the chances that he creates. Sure, he doesn't score a ton, but he is crucial in our build-up..

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Cuadrado is a more effective player. I don't know why we got Costa over James. James hasn't been incredibly in Germany mostly due to injuries but he has outperformed Costa. I would like to see this at one point - maybe on a day the Higuain is being rested. I do want the team to give Cuadrado and Costa/Bernardeschi with inverted wings a longer look.

Issue with Cuadrado and we're starting to see it is that he is slowing down. He's still a very effective player, but he is slower than two years ago. He doesn't provide the same unpredictability as he did two years ago. Costa is more explosive for sure, but just a less effective player. Cuadrado is criminally underrated for the chances that he creates. Sure, he doesn't score a ton, but he is crucial in our build-up..
Maybe James just wanted to join Ancelotti.

- - - Updated - - -

Transfermarket is not a wish concert @lgorTudor

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

How has James outperformed Costa? Costa in his first six months at Bayern was one of the best players in the world.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
When DC come in, He's better on the right and keep Mandzukic as aerial threat in the box.

So Cuad comes in for Licht as RB when we need another goal after it's 2-2

Apr 19, 2007
For Balance I would play him on the left. Dybala drifts to the right more so we could try to overload that side but I would play Cuads there to help out on D and Dybala can naturally cover that wing til he bursts forward and have Costa more isolated in space on the left

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
In 4-2-3-1 is imposible to take Mandzukic out (unless injured ofc) because he is vital to our game plan so than Costa might play on the right probably as a sub mostly in this formation.
In a 4-3-3 you will probably have Costa starting on the left with with one of Mandzukic/Higuain as ST and Dybala behind slightly on the right side as RW/RF.

Of course there's always the chance that Costa might start performing at his best sooner or later and he will probably become ireplaceble on the wings regardless of the formation.

I guess time will tell where he will eventually fit best :allegri:

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
is he eligible for Brasil or the coach just doesnt trust him enough to even add him as rotation in theyr squad? Is a bit weird to see both him and Sandro possibly missing out on the World Cup .... Sadly tho AS only has a chance if one of Marcelo or Filipe Luis gets injured...
I really have this urge to see our star players be protagonists at the WC tho it seems players like Higuain / Douglas Costa / Alex Sandro struggle for a simple call-up when normally they should be called-up by default!!!....now that really sucks lol

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
is he eligible for Brasil or the coach just doesnt trust him enough to even add him as rotation in theyr squad? Is a bit weird to see both him and Sandro possibly missing out on the World Cup .... Sadly tho AS only has a chance if one of Marcelo or Filipe Luis gets injured...
I really have this urge to see our star players be protagonists at the WC tho it seems players like Higuain / Douglas Costa / Alex Sandro struggle for a simple call-up when normally they should be called-up by default!!!....now that really sucks lol
Costa is a pure winger. I don't think he integrates well with other lolzillians who like to play in small spaces and think quickly with one touch movements.

He's more of a counter attack threat and someone that can smash cross after cross but Brazil plays Gabriel Jesus or Firminho as a #9.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He was called up plenty last year, and little early this year, but since he was backup for Bayern and not stellar start with us, it's not been much reason to call him up or play him. Coutinho is his competition.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Just saying... the guy should at least be a back-up in this Brasil squad regardless of his current form(which actually ain't that bad right now)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)