Does size matter? (3 Viewers)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
I have to watch what I say now...

But it does, and it doesnt...(and there is nothing sexually there, so dont even try it)

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
smaller players tend to be better, for the simple fact that you have to have that little bit extra for a professional club to take you on, where as taller players for example will have in easier for there build

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I dont know what you mean about size, whether its length or girth, oh sorry height or weight but i do know that football has gone from where it was more of a touch game and finese to now sheer athleticism and power.

You get a case scenario of where players like Gerrard, Essien and the like are wanted for 30m plus while touch players like Pizzarro are wanted for so much less

Players like Zizou are so hard to find while we extol the virtues of Adriano, Henry, Sheva,Emerson and these kind of players

I guess its also to do with coaches who want more physical kind of players, thank goodness for the likes of Ancelotti and Rikjard

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
It has to do with the environment in which the player in question finds him or herself. Certain situations make physical strength and size absolutely necessary and there are some coaches out there that'll start the big, strong centre forward ahead of his quick, nimble, skillful counterpart nine times out of ten.

@Seven: What position do you play and what style of game does your team play? The latter always has to be taken into consideration because if long balls are the order of the day I don't think the manager will be starting a Del Piero ahead of a Jan Koller.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #40
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    It has to do with the environment in which the player in question finds him or herself. Certain situations make physical strength and size absolutely necessary and there are some coaches out there that'll start the big, strong centre forward ahead of his quick, nimble, skillful counterpart nine times out of ten.

@Seven: What position do you play and what style of game does your team play? The latter always has to be taken into consideration because if long balls are the order of the day I don't think the manager will be starting a Del Piero ahead of a Jan Koller.
    I play attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 system. I admit it's a rather physical division we play in and I'm aware of the fact that I'm pretty much the only attacking midfielder who hasn't got a contract, but I still believe that regardless of the sums of money the other players deserve, the main reason they play is that they're a lot bigger than me. Whereas I believe height isn't that important for an attacking midfielder. We do play with a lot of long balls, but IMO we shouldn't. If we are going to play a 4-3-3 we should stick to short passes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)