Does God exist? (William Lane Craig vs Peter Atkins debate) (2 Viewers)

Well, did...

• Man make God?

• God make Man?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 12, 2004
From a purely philosphical point of view, I choose to believe that there exists a higher power. The massive improbability that all of this was created by mere chance is the reason I believe in a divine power. The whole theory of evolution does not seem reasonable to me; it has endless loopholes and question marks theoretically.

On the topic of morailty, if you didn't fear god and had the chance to steal loads of money from someone knowing for sure that you wouldn't get caught, would you do it? A god fearing man wouldn't. He knows that the consequences to his actions go beyond the law, reputation, and respect. His consequences come after his death and he fears he will be eternally punished.

I think the largest issue with Athiests is their extreme ego. The way they think is completely empty of humbleness, they believe they are the greatest(humans) and nothing will ever have the right to tell them what to do. They believe that they possess irrefutable logic and anyone that simply mentions the word "worship' would be a blow to their ego and pride.

To me, another piece of evidence that has convinced me is intelligent design. The human body is a very good example, DNA is afterall a design; it is a very intricate, detailed, and intelligent design. How can something so intelligent come by chance? DNA carries information, where does this information come from? Who invented it? God is the only logical answer here, not evolution.

Look infront of you, you will see a computer screen so intelligently designed and manufactured. You would obvously know that it is man made; that it is designed by people. It didn't just appear out of the blue. It's the same with nature. Nature's intelligent design suggests that there must have been a creator, a higher power capable of manufacturing such intelligent design.
I could believe this, but I................have thoughts.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 13, 2007
Complete and utter bullshit. Noone has ever demonstrated that "god fearing" people live lives that are more moral, steal less, cheat less, behave better. Just because you want this to be true doesn't mean it is.

Instead, you have stories like this:
http://pressesc.com/news/80931072007/atheist-doctors-more-likely-care-poor-religious-ones
If you were an athiest, knew that you wouldn't be caught by the law, and had no belief in afterlife consequences, what would stop you from doing something immoral? The goodness of your heart? You would behave just as animals do. Animals steal food from eachother because they need to live and are unintelligent. You wouldn't expect an animal to know what morality is let alone fear god; to some extent an athiest is no different.

Other than good will, which most people lack, nothing can get in the way of you and what you want. Know one is born with morals, you are either taught morals by your elders, parents, teachers.. or you are a religious person. No one is born with good will, we are all selfish and if it weren't for consequences, the human race would have been extinct a long time ago.

Our human form of divine punishment is the law. If you do wrong, you go to jail. this is basically enforcing what religious books such as the bible tell us. If you do wrong, you go to hell. The idea of god being this unforgiving tyrant is irrelevant to me; god is no different than law. If you think that god is a tyrant for forcing you to live morally then you should also believe that the police are tyrants for enforcing laws that you have to obey.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If you were an athiest, knew that you wouldn't be caught by the law, and had no belief in afterlife consequences, what would stop you from doing something immoral? The goodness of your heart? You would behave just as animals do. Animals steal food from eachother because they need to live and are unintelligent. You wouldn't expect an animal to know what morality is let alone fear god; to some extent an athiest is no different.
The only problem with this hypothesis is that it has absolutely no reflection in reality. I can make a hypothesis too. Green cats are more likely to steal than black cats, because they blend into the environment better. But unless I show that this is the case, the hypothesis is worthless.

Other than good will, which most people lack, nothing can get in the way of you and what you want. Know one is born with morals, you are either taught morals by your elders, parents, teachers.. or you are a religious person. No one is born with good will, we are all selfish and if it weren't for consequences, the human race would have been extinct a long time ago.
You are making huge statements about psychology that you have no backing for.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
On the topic of morailty, if you didn't fear god and had the chance to steal loads of money from someone knowing for sure that you wouldn't get caught, would you do it? A god fearing man wouldn't. He knows that the consequences to his actions go beyond the law, reputation, and respect. His consequences come after his death and he fears he will be eternally punished.
He'll find an excuse why is it a right thing to do, how God won't punish him because he's stealing just so he could feed his children or something like that, and he'll steal the money at the end.
If theists were able to slaughter innocent civilians in the name of God, they will steal loads of money and they'll lie to themselves how that's what God wanted them to do.

Jun 13, 2007
We are born greedy. Look at how children steal from eachother; they inflict pain on one another and are in most cases very insensitive. This is because they lack the knowledge of what is moral and what isn't. They live and survive with complete disregard of others. This is who we are Martin, we are no different from animals in our nature; we are just a lot more intelligent than they are.

OP
Dinsdale
Jun 26, 2007
  • Thread Starter #90
    That depends. If you set your house on fire or make your own car disappear to scam the insurance company, it's immoral. If you set your house on fire just for fun and noone (except yourself, possibly) is affected, how can that be wrong? Ah, but here's the rub. "Society" wouldn't encourage you to set your house on fire because the fire could (and often does) spread to your neighbor's house, in which case someone else would be affected, and morality would kick in again. Not to mention the large amounts of CO2 the combustion would release into the atmosphere (pollution hurts everyone) and the smoke might affect people in the area.
    You're probably right when you say that the morality of something is determined by whether it affects somebody or something negatively (and that the difference I mentioned doesn't exist). It's what I also think at least. So it all comes down to survival and replication, because things that are morally wrong affect the chances of S&R negatively. But why do we care so much about surviving and replicating? Is it just an axiom? (I think this is what Senor Canardo meant)

Well, that's not specific to atheists, is it? Unless you're saying that religious people tend to approach questions about their own faith with stoic calm, I think we know that's not always the case.
    Of course not. That's why I find it funny, because it is normally something that is typical for religious people. Doesn't it sound funny to you, being emotionally involved with atheism?

I normally defend atheism too, but because almost everyone here automatically starts defending atheism, I decided to represent theism.

It is the predicate. If the priest told the people that okay, we've checked and we now know that there is no god. Just continue living your lives as you have until now and everything is fine. Then what is the purpose of this church exactly?
    The existence of god is the predicate for religion, but there is no religious person in the world who can proof that what he beliefs in and how is chooses to life his life is how god wants it. Hence the question whether god exists must be unaffected by how people practice religion.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    We are born greedy. Look at how children steal from eachother; they inflict pain on one another and are in most cases very insensitive. This is because they lack the knowledge of what is moral and what isn't. They live and survive with complete disregard of others. This is who we are Martin, we are no different from animals in our nature; we are just a lot more intelligent than they are.
    For the last time, there is no proof that religious people behave more morally.

Jun 13, 2007
    Ален;1773276 said:
    If theists were able to slaughter innocent civilians in the name of God, they will steal loads of money and they'll lie to themselves how that's what God wanted them to do.
    These are people that claim to believe in god, that doesn't mean they believe in god. The simply acknowledge god with their lips and deny him with their lifestyle, this is the primary cause of athiesm today.

Theists would not do something like that because they fear punishment. If they did do something like that, they aren't theists because they do not fear any consequences. In other words, you can't truly believe in god and go around massacaring people at the same time, it's contradictory.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    i haven't posted here in ages, and it had to be religious discussion to bring me back:crazy:

Several people here said that if there was no god/afterlife/fear of punishment, there would be no reason not to kill/rape/destroy.

I would like to ask a question if you can give me one example of a moral action that a theist can make and an atheist can not?

(This is known as Hitchens challenge, if anyone would like to google it up :))

Hi Martin, i see you've done some thinking about these things? :D

Jun 13, 2007
    You're probably right when you say that the morality of something is determined by whether it affects somebody or something negatively (and that the difference I mentioned doesn't exist). It's what I also think at least. So it all comes down to survival and replication, because things that are morally wrong affect the chances of S&R negatively. But why do we care so much about surviving and replicating? Is it just an axiom? (I think this is what Senor Canardo meant)

Of course not. That's why I find it funny, because it is normally something that is typical for religious people. Doesn't it sound funny to you, being emotionally involved with atheism?I normally defend atheism too, but because almost everyone here automatically starts defending atheism, I decided to represent theism.

The existence of god is the predicate for religion, but there is no religious person in the world who can proof that what he beliefs in and how is chooses to life his life is how god wants it. Hence the question whether god exists must be unaffected by how people practice religion.

This is probably inidicative that these athiest are not athiests because of the calm rationality but rather a sudden hate for religion. I respect athiests who are open to discussion and think objectively, as I do all people. I do not respect athiests who despise religion for whatever reason and therefore are extremely emotional when it comes to this topic.

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    These are people that claim to believe in god, that doesn't mean they believe in god. The simply acknowledge god with their lips and deny him with their lifestyle, this is the primary cause of athiesm today.

Thiests would not do something like that because they fear punishment. If they did do something like that, they aren't theists because they do not fear any consequences. In other words, you can't truly believe in god and go around massacaring people at the same time, it's contradictory.
    so by feat, by your definition, anyone who does bad things is an atheist?

convenient......

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well it seems to be very close to what we call "life". Every organism has this survival instinct, I don't know if anyone can explain why.

Of course not. That's why I find it funny, because it is normally something that is typical for religious people. Doesn't it sound funny to you, being emotionally involved with atheism?
    Not really, because the implications of this are important. When a religious person tells you you have no morality because you don't believe in god, this is a pretty important question for the sake of your own identity.

I'm thinking about the implications of your question. I think it is that you can always say that you live life the way god wanted it. And you can't prove it. So having the "will of god" to back you up is basically a psychological device to justify your actions to yourself and others.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    In other words, you can't truly believe in god and go around massacaring people at the same time, it's contradictory.
    You can truly believe in God and still massacre people. It depends on how do you see God and how do you comprehend what's good and what's bad.

If i live in 11th century Bulgarian mountain village, if i don't go to school at all if i know nothing else but being a shepard and if the priest tells me that God wants me to kill the infidels in Jerusalem and how i will be rewarded in the after life for every infidel life i took, you can be sure that i'll kill those evil infidel Jews and Muslims and i'll do it exactly because i truly believe that that is what God wanted me to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)