Does God exist? (William Lane Craig vs Peter Atkins debate) (5 Viewers)

Well, did...

• Man make God?

• God make Man?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 15, 2006
No. Would you bring up the flying spaghetti monster too? The three biggest religions are pretty new.
Soren, "new" based on what timeframe? If you're taking the lifetime of the earth, then sure, they are "new". But if you consider the timeline of religions, which is what I am considering, then they are certainly "old".

I get the feeling that you are missing the point what a belief is if you want proof for it.
So if I believe that you are a deranged serial killer, you find it reasonable that I seek no proof to support it, or you provide any to refute it?

Apr 15, 2006
I thought the premise for the discussion was the serious ones :p
Let's be a little more open minded than that, shall we? :)
What nonsense? I don't believe in any religion and haven't really made the leap of faith to believe in any god.
Raz, with all due respect, of all the discussions I've had with you on the forum, if there's one thing that's stuck in my mind, it's that you believe in some non sense. :)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
No problem, you look funny to me when discussing god too. Though I don't think you believe in nonsense, I just think you are limiting your world view a lot, by denying anything that isn't "proven" yet "experienced" every day by millions of people.

All in all ether half of the people of the world are delusional or both of them are wrong.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
No problem, you look funny to me when discussing god too. Though I don't think you believe in nonsense, I just think you are limiting your world view a lot, by denying anything that isn't "proven" yet "experienced" every day by millions of people.

All in all ether half of the people of the world are delusional or both of them are wrong.
Doubting isn't denying. And just like he can't prove God doesn't exist you can't prove he does, so there are more room and space for doubt than for believing if you ask me.

Apr 15, 2006

Those limits are necessary because IF they are not in place, I become gullible to any world view that is coming my way. And gullibility is not a good thing to be. :)

Søren Krarup said:
People are not open minded. Only to things that is "correct". God, religion etc. is a part of culture and culture is man made. Some man made things makes sense, some doesn't. Do you really believe that, let's say, Scientology makes more sense than Christianity?
Yes, god and religion are man-made. And it's through those lens that I view Christianity, Scientology and every other religion. You said earlier than Scientology is a scam. I agree, and I don't believe that's just true for Scientology, but for pretty much every religion there is. The premise and promises of religion simply raises too many alarm bells of "SCAM!" in my mind that are simply too hard to ignore. But for some reason here, it's perfectly reasonable to claim Scientology is a scam, but Christianity and Islam aren't. I can't accept that double standard.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Those limits are necessary because IF they are not in place, I become gullible to any world view that is coming my way. And gullibility is not a good thing to be. :)

Yes, god and religion are man-made. And it's through those lens that I view Christianity, Scientology and every other religion. You said earlier than Scientology is a scam. I agree, and I don't believe that's just true for Scientology, but for pretty much every religion there is. The premise and promises of religion simply raises too many alarm bells of "SCAM!" in my mind that are simply too hard to ignore. But for some reason here, it's perfectly reasonable to claim Scientology is a scam, but Christianity and Islam aren't. I can't accept that double standard.
It's a scam as in it's for the rich people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)