Do you respect Tom Cruise as an actor? (2 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I have trouble taking him seriously with the Scientology angle. And looking back over his career, what I've seen of it, I thought he was great in the Last Samurai, but otherwise not really.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    I think he gets tossed around by a lot of people,guys in particular,for being a sex symbol amongst young females.Have you seen Collateral?

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Yes, he was great in some movies and average in others. I loved Jerry Maguire, Top Gun, A few good men, Vanilla Sky. I thought he was also good in War of the Worlds and I was happy he wasn't portrayed as the hero that puts on a helmet and defeats the Aliens.
    Where I wasn't impressed were the MI2 and MI3 movies.
    All in all, forget the whole Scientology/jumping on couches/the whole southpark thing/ just being really weird, he has charisma and a certain presence alot of actors would kill for.
    I heard in his free time he's an adrenaline junky.

Jul 5, 2006
    I think he gets tossed around by a lot of people,guys in particular,for being a sex symbol amongst young females.Have you seen Collateral?
    yep i saw Collateral, i think that was great
    according to me magnolia, the last samurai, vanilla sky, jerry maguire are his good works.
    hmm yes i respect Tom Cruise:pint:..***..

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

I never liked him personally, and not because of scientology or Oprah's escapade, but he's a pretty solid actor. Not on par with some of his contemoraries, mainly Johnny Depp, but he had some good performances. Vanilla Sky, Collateral, The Last Samurai, Rain Man..all good movies IMO.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    He is doing the acting job properly, btw what is wrong on jumping over oprah's couch, I would even jump on her fat stomach If I were Tom

OP
    HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #17
    Every actor has a specific style that he's well known for.Though i do agree that he does do a lot of it.Collateral is one movie where he plays a different and pretty good role.A Few Good Men might fall under the same bracket too.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Doesn't anyone else think he plays Tom Cruise in every single movie?
    Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson have a similar problem..

Yet I do think the three of them have had a great career. Tom Cruise especially has had roles in a lot of quality movies. I think he's an okay actor, but I have always found him particularly ugly and never understood the sex symbol thing. That is, until someone told me I looked like him :D.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Good point Sev, also add to them Denzel Wash, but he's simply one of my fav actors.

Back to Tom, I think he's very decent and smart actor, so yes i respect him as an actor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)