• Yes

• No

• Only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Results are only viewable after voting.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
let me just ask everyone a question:

would you rather live your life to the full, doing whatever you please without worrying if it goes against a book, or would you rather live life without doing anything wild and crazy because you are scared of the consequences?

I'd rather life a full life and do everything i desire and then learn that there is something above rather than live a quiet life never breaking rules and then learning that there is nothing above and it was a hoax
Believing in one religion is not about living a conservative life that's all about praying. You can enjoy as much as you want, but you have to fear some of your doings' consequences and that's better for the humanity IMO...

I know what Jihad stands for and I wouldn't interpret it the way 9/11 terrorists did. All I'm saying is that who are we to say they were wrong? Perhaps they interpreted te Qu'uran right and we are wrong. It was written by some guy 1400 years ago, who knows what he meant. Yeah yeah, Allah wrote it, no human interaction blah blah blah.
I won't fall in your trap to convince you again and again that it wasn't written by some guy before 1400 years...If you want evidences that it wasn't, there are hundreds on the net, just google them.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's funny how Seven acts like he knows something...

but hey at least you know whats prosciutto :toast:
Rami, you obviously misunderstood. I'm not talking bad about the Qu'uran here at all. In general I find muslims to be more understandable than christians. It's just that "interpreting" isn't exact science. Who are we to say they didn't interpret it right? You just can't know.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Believing in one religion is not about living a conservative life that's all about praying. You can enjoy as much as you want, but you have to fear some of your doings' consequences and that's better for the humanity IMO...

I won't fall in your trap to convince you again and again that it wasn't written by some guy before 1400 years...If you want evidences that it wasn't, there are hundreds on the net, just google them.
I dare you to show me one.

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Rami, you obviously misunderstood. I'm not talking bad about the Qu'uran here at all. In general I find muslims to be more understandable than christians. It's just that "interpreting" isn't exact science. Who are we to say they didn't interpret it right? You just can't know.
I didn't assume you were talking badly, that wasn't directed at the "written by a guy 1400 years ago" comment. But rather at "who are we to know if they misinterpreted" comment.

The Quran has been studied for more than a 1000 years and 10s of thousands of books have been written about it. These books have different interpretations, true, but all interpretations had a general framework that they did not get out of. "Thou shalt not kill" was never interpreted over 1400 years as "you may kill." So when a group of bandits come 1400 years and say "you may kill, the Quran said so" you would know they are wrong :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I didn't assume you were talking badly, that wasn't directed at the "written by a guy 1400 years ago" comment. But rather at "who are we to know if they misinterpreted" comment.

The Quran has been studied for more than a 1000 years and 10s of thousands of books have been written about it. These books have different interpretations, true, but all interpretations had a general framework that they did not get out of. "Thou shalt not kill" was never interpreted over 1400 years as "you may kill." So when a group of bandits come 1400 years and say "you may kill, the Quran said so" you would know they are wrong :)
That's what you think, yes. But might I add that The Bible also specifically says thou shalt not kill, yet the crusades were deemed theologically just in the Middle Ages? It's not that simple.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
If you bothered reading the bible, you would understood that those crusaders are nothing but fanatic idiots and have nothing to do with bible. just like the likes of Bin laden who have nothing to do with quraan..

Jan 7, 2004

thats where you are wrong, whether you like or not, it is part of a human to be "nice" to others, it was imprinted before religion was invented and it will be even after religion is gone

seven, apperantly we used the koran for everything, from mathematics to biology and everything in between

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
That's what you think, yes. But might I add that The Bible also specifically says thou shalt not kill, yet the crusades were deemed theologically just in the Middle Ages? It's not that simple.
I really can't speak for my Christian brothers, however I think you have touched a very important difference between the two religions when it comes to organization and legislation.

Let me try my best to explain this to you my dear Seven. When it comes to Islamic legislation, Quran is not the only source for it. True, it is the most important and the most definitive. There are 3 more sources:

Hadeeth: Which is the collection of all the prophet's saying. I discussed this thoroughly with Erik before, however I will briefly explain it to you.

Hadeeth has arrived to us by narration. Meaning that for the first couple centuries it was not written down, but narrated down from the prophet up to writing them down (not sure when perhaps 300 years or so.) Anyways as you can see the danger in this technique, thats why guidelines were devised to preserve the authenticity of such sayings. The system has two parts, the hadith itself called "matn", and the lineage of narrators called "sanad". Its a very intricate system, the narrators are/were profiled on different criteria, such is he a good memorizier, is he a liar/ or ever lied, political agenda, did he ever meet the person he is narrating from...etc. Then comes the "matn", is it in accordance with Quran, and other Hadith or not. A hadith could arrive to us from one lineage or 10's of lineages, the more lineage the more trusted. All these factors mix in to create a very well devised rating system, I higher rated Hadeeth would negate a lower one if they conflict and so on.

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isnad (the ratings are on the right.)

Qiyas: or literally measurement, i.e smoking was not explicitly forbidden, it wasn't even available back then. However scholars "measured" this with forbiding one killing himself or harming himself. Same can be said for weed, where it is forbidden and measured with "alcohol" in that it conceals ones mind...and so on.

Ijma'a: Islamic scholars agreeing unanimously on something is the also a source of legislation. One of the unanimously agreed on concepts is the 5 "hurumat". Or that its forbidden to trespressing on another person's (or yours), religion, life, money or any property, mind, "ird" which loosely translates to family but not quite :).

Anyways my point is that, whilst in Christianity all the power is put in the hands of someone in the Vatican (or at least to my understanding), it is not the case in Islam, nobody yields the power. When someone is wrong multiple other scholars, groups, factions...etc will disagree and make it heard. The terrorist bandits, were very much opposed even before 911, and the general consent of Muslim's that this group has gone astray.

I hope you find this insightful, and sorry if talked to much. L)

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Rami I really adore your patience to explain these all over again multiple times on an internet forum, even thou it is a waste of your time, some of them will read half of it and pass.. good work mate :tup:

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
Rami I really adore your patience to explain these all over again multiple times on an internet forum, even thou it is a waste of your time, some of them will read half of it and pass.. good work mate :tup:
In fact, I belong to the ones who have enjoyed reading it all. :smile:

@Rami, that was decent and reasonable post. :tup:

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
i gave you a +rep; how come you didnt thank me?
First of all, the rep system is for commending good posts that others like, its not a "rub my back I rub yours" system.

Second of all, assuming that I will rep you, how do you think I will do that without leaving your name??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)