did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (11 Viewers)

JRulez

Aug 1, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Azzurri7 ] ++
Fill Baggio or not...What I really know is that, there will be no other Del Piero in Juve....Nobody will ever fill his place in Juve...Just wait and see....
I'm with u man, we'll have a long, long wait for someone of dp's stature

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Del Piero certainly filled Baggio's shoes with Juventus, however the same cannot be said for the Azzurri and Italian football in general. Roby is a legend when it comes to what he has done for the Italian National team and his country's football exposure, while Del Piero is just one of the greats for the club he captains. Baggio is also loved around the entire country of Italy, while unfortunately much more hate is directed towards Alex because of his supposed failures with the Azzurri.

As for nobody being able to fill Alex's shoes at Juventus in years to come...that is certainly questionable. I think the more appropiate question here is will we ever again have such a true Juventino lead us out on to the field of play match after match.....in today's world of football, I unfortunately doubt it. Del Piero is one of the greatest Juventini this club has ever had.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
He was supposed to but he didn't, in other words he failed. But what did his failure turn out to be? Something else, a spoilt brat a figure and a fans favourite that will always be remembered.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
How can you say he failed to fill Baggio's shoes, Jeeks? He has done more for the club than Roby as a player and far more as a symbol. If you compare their careers on the whole you will be able to conclude that Baggio was the better player, but we're talking about what the two legendary Italians did for Juventus FC and when you compare Baggio's Juve career to Del Piero's Juve career Alex is the clear victor.

delp_07

Jan 31, 2005
Well i do think that alex is our clear victor when it comes to Juve but to think he could have been greater for Juventus if Baggio stayed one more year. TO think how much del piero learned from baggio and how much more he would have learned if he had one more year with him. So to be the true victor honestly i think it was baggio actually becuase in reality he really taught del piero what he knows today. And given one more year with him we could have seen a player who was actually better than baggio and maybe he would have avoided his injury with his smart play.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++
He was supposed to but he didn't, in other words he failed. But what did his failure turn out to be? Something else, a spoilt brat a figure and a fans favourite that will always be remembered.

No need to call him spoilt brat, Jeeks.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
The answer is different, depending if we talk about the Italian NT or Juve:
In the NT, we cant compare : Baggio was the most influential and decisive player for the Azurri for many years and DP as been just another choice in the line-up. When Baggio fade away, so was Italy.

For Juventus is totally on the contrary: Il Codino, even with his divine skills wasnt really a determinant factor for the team (wining one scudetto in five seasons) and DP, with is injuries, inconsistency, weakness and lack of form as managed to get 6 scudetti and 1 CL in twelve seasons, being the constant for team in what we can call the best decade in juventus history....

But the one and only that can fill Baggio shoes is......Padovano

GRK

Guitar God
Oct 19, 2004
I feel Del Piero has done his job.
Maybe with Italy he hasn't shone as much, but at Juve I feel he's acyually done more than Baggio.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
but during his time here at juventus baggio never struggled to score goals. 115 goals in (200 games)5 years is quite an acheivment.

in delpieros career he as always struggled to get over 10 goals a season in serie a.

so from a goalscoring point of view baggio is the victor. but as a captain delpiero takes the cake. hes been captain for about 3 years now? and always in the media he speaks with class. im always interested in what he has to say. he really talks like a leader. on the field i would argue that he is quiet and always has his head down. not the attributes of a leader.

also delpiero has been treaten like a saint here. great money, and always gets defended by the big guys (coach, pres, moggi).

baggio after all he gave for this club, was told to halve his pay cut and sit on the bench. i think that is unfair from lippi.

while delpiero pushing for a bench spot is still the highest paid player in the team.

now the stats. obviously un compareable as they have spent a hell of a different time but its fun to look at anyway.

seriea/coppa italia/uefa+championsleague.

Roberto Baggio
200 games
115 goals

Alex Del piero
437 games
174 goals

Tifoso

Sempre e solo Juve
Aug 12, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++
but during his time here at juventus baggio never struggled to score goals. 115 goals in (200 games)5 years is quite an acheivment.

in delpieros career he as always struggled to get over 10 goals a season in serie a.

so from a goalscoring point of view baggio is the victor. but as a captain delpiero takes the cake. hes been captain for about 3 years now? and always in the media he speaks with class. im always interested in what he has to say. he really talks like a leader. on the field i would argue that he is quiet and always has his head down. not the attributes of a leader.

also delpiero has been treaten like a saint here. great money, and always gets defended by the big guys (coach, pres, moggi).

baggio after all he gave for this club, was told to halve his pay cut and sit on the bench. i think that is unfair from lippi.

while delpiero pushing for a bench spot is still the highest paid player in the team.

now the stats. obviously un compareable as they have spent a hell of a different time but its fun to look at anyway.

seriea/coppa italia/uefa+championsleague.

Roberto Baggio
200 games
115 goals

Alex Del piero
437 games
174 goals
ie Baggio: .575 goals/match

Del Piero: .398 goals/match

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Tifoso Lou ] ++

ie Baggio: .575 goals/match

Del Piero: .398 goals/match
You do realize that Del Piero's average is better than say... Bettega's? It's also comparable with a lot of great players, I saw the list once, don't remember it now. Not exactly too shabby.

Highest ever production rate at Juventus is none other than the under appreciated Trezeguet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)