Di Vaio: My Man! (6 Viewers)

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
Just sweet that goal........

I still remember when last seaosn we signed h... bla bla bla (i always say the same :D ).

A lot of people wnated to get rid of him last season... because his poor performances... and i always was defending him.

but what about it now?? :D

Forza Marco!!
The same from here!:angel: I think now Marco showed everyone who attacked him, that he is GREAT!:cool:

Go Marco!:cheesy:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Sunday, November 2, 2003

Di Vaio's revival

Roberto Gotta

It probably says a lot about Marco di Vaio's confidence these days that he scored his wonder goal against Milan on Saturday with his less-favoured foot, the left one.

It may well have been seen many times around the world, by now. With Juventus 1-0 down with five minutes to go at Milan's San Siro, the visitors took a quick free kick after a foul on Pavel Nedved in midfield.

Di Vaio dummied and let the ball go through for David Trezeguet, who flicked it to his colleague and turned away, perhaps hoping to outrun his marker and get a return pass inside the area, but Di Vaio had other ideas, or perhaps it was not an idea, it was simply an instinctive act of sporting genius, bursting into the realm of sheer madness.

Di Vaio struck the falling ball first-time from outside the area, in a motion that should be copied and shown to aspiring strikers all over the world, and sent it past Dida into the top right corner of the goal.

His celebration included pointing an index finger to each side of his head in the international sign language indicating craziness, as if to admit the sheer idea of trying a volley with his left foot among converging Milan defenders had been just, well, crazy.

Funnily enough, after a listless opening 45 minutes, Di Vaio - who's at his best when running into space or popping up at the near post - had had two easier-looking chances earlier in the second half, without scoring: a right foot volley which had grazed the outside of Dida's left post, and a far post header which the in-form keeper had somehow pushed out in full flight.

Getting Juventus a priceless equaliser is yet another stepping stone in a season which could propel Di Vaio into the full squad for Italy's trek to the Euro 2004 finals.

He'd scored last month in the Azzurri's 4-0 win over Azerbaijan, a game in which Giovanni Trapattoni's side barely needed to break a sweat, but he's never held up a regular place, not with Bobo Vieri, Pippo Inzaghi, Francesco Totti and Juventus team mate Alex Del Piero blocking his ambitions of a regular first-team shirt.

Ironically, it was Del Piero's injury in the opening minutes of Juventus' 2-2 home draw with Roma on September 21 that opened the way for the Rome-born striker, who went in after a quarter of an hour and immediately scored both his side's goals.

One goal in the opening game against Empoli after coming on as a sub for Del Piero, one against Reggina, braces against Roma and Real Sociedad, the cannon strike at the San Siro and now... it's back to the bench, in all probability. Del Piero is fit again and will take his place in the side, and where does that leave Di Vaio?

Not alone among top Serie A sides, Juventus, as is becoming coach Marcello Lippi's policy, change their formation and players constantly, according to their opponents and to the importance of the match.

This season, between the home league and the Champions League, they have started in a 4-2-3-1 twice, in a 4-3-2-1 and 4-4-1-1 once and in a 4-4-2 seven times: Di Vaio has played as lone striker supported by Nedved, and as part of the 4-4-2 along with Trezegut or Miccoli.

Juventus do not have a natural substitute for Trezeguet, who has enough physical presence and height to be deployed as a lone striker supported - in Lippi's ideal tactical choice - by three advanced midfielders-cum-forwards, like Camoranesi, Nedved and Del Piero.

Oddly enough, the latter's absence gives Juventus fewer headaches than Trezeguet's, as Di Vaio and Miccoli, each with different skills, can all stand in for Del Piero, while no-one, not even Uruguayan Marcelo Zalayeta, can duplicate the Frenchman's attitude as a front runner.

It could be a breakthrough for Di Vaio, or perhaps not: Del Piero will be back in the side next week and Juventus will again have no less than five attack-minded players in their squad: Trezeguet, Del Piero, Miccoli, Di Vaio and Nedved, with Zalayeta still recovering from a knee injury.

Ironically, it had been Zalayeta's setback in early August that had first paved the way for Di Vaio's comeback. There had been talk all summer of him being sent away on loan - or for good - in exchange for another forward, since apparently Milan, Lazio and Sampdoria had enquired about his availability. But this was probably another spurious bit of 'calciomercato' chatter, which sadly still fuels more of the Italians' interest than the calcio itself.

After all, had they not believed in Di Vaio, Juventus would not have picked up the option to retain Di Vaio that they had inserted in the deal which took the striker to Turin from Parma in late August 2002, once more - bizarrely - as a consequence of physical problems to one of their players.

Trezeguet had fallen victim to the first of his many ailments, and Di Vaio had just scored against the Bianconeri in the Italian Supercup played in Libya: after seeing him run rings around their own central defender, Juventus directors immediately signed him for 26m euros and the two-year loan of Matteo Brighi.

Given a starting place despite being a different player from Trezeguet, Di Vaio managed to score twice in the Champions League against both Feyenoord and Dynamo Kiev, but also suffered a concussion in the home match against Newcastle United and spent some time on the sidelines.

When Trezeguet regained his fitness, Di Vaio went back among the second choices and a brief revival when Del Piero got injured in February was halted by Di Vaio's own fitness troubles after a collision with team mate Alessandro Birindelli in training.

He ended up scoring seven goals in 26 games, his disappointing second half of the season only rescued by the goal against Perugia that gave Juventus their Scudetto on May 10.

Even before Del Piero's injury, Di Vaio had appeared hungrier, stronger and more positive than before. And his revival may well set him on course for a fruitful season.

soccernet

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
-----------DiVaio----Treze------DP------------

---------------------Nedved------------------

-------------Davids-------Appiah---------

--Zambrota--Montero--Legro/Tudor--Thuram--

--------------------Buffon------------------

That a great team!!!

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
nice articel:cool:

dv's form has been nothing short of remarkable considering he's only had on and off appearances.he performs whenever called up and adds versatility with his pace on the left.he's scored more braces that i can remember.we need this kind of reliability in the reserves-but if i were manager he'd be playing in the first team right now,not trezeguet.

his only downfall may be his tendency to drag things too long and overdo the dribbling when a first time shot would be more appropriate,which trez excels in.btw,it was a great shot he pulled off that hit the bar against milan:eek:

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
Taken from soccerage:

Serie A Round 8: Best Eleven Of The Week
Latest News | Serie A - Best Team of the Week | News Archive

Dida (AC Milan )- His game against Juve demonstrated he is one of the world's top three keepers at the moment.

Massimo Oddo (Lazio)-Secured a sure starting role on Lazio, and if he continues like this he will also do so for La Nazionale.

Moris Carrozzieri (Sampdoria)-This young and at the same time 'old-school' style defender is not a surprise anymore. To the contrary he's becoming the leader of the Samp defense.

Victor Mareco (Brescia)-In the 40 minutes Adriano played, the Brescia defender contained him magnificently. Has very little blame for the three goals his side took in.

Olivier Dacourt (AS Roma)-Has come alive at the right moment for the Giallorossi, as Emerson is presently going through a difficult moment of form.

Domenico Morfeo (Parma)-The key man in securing Parma's fantastic come back win over Brescia.

Mozart (Reggina)-The Brazlian playmaker played a great game against Roma. He's ready for a better team.

Dabo (Lazio)-Slowly becoming indispensable for the Biancoceleste midfield. Santini should start getting his observers to eye him if he hasn't already done this.

Alvaro Recoba (Inter)-A goal and an assist against Chievo. Zac accomplished his first mission: 'Recoba's ressurection.'

Ernesto Chevanton (Lecce)-Finally the Uruguayan star returned to his normal levels of form as he scored a fantastic pair of goals that clinched three vital points for the struggling Pugliesi.

Marco Di Vaio (Juventus )-Is starting to make people wonder if Juve might be stronger with him on the pitch, instead of Alex Del Piero.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by DAVIDZ ] ++

Marco Di Vaio (Juventus )-Is starting to make people wonder if Juve might be stronger with him on the pitch, instead of Alex Del Piero.
:down: hard to admit this...but it's true....

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
how come there's only one juve player......
bcoz all juve players were exceptional :cool:, and soccerage just couldnt put them all in the list. then milan or roma fans would say juve paid soccerage for that.....:D

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

bcoz all juve players were exceptional :cool:, and soccerage just couldnt put them all in the list. then milan or roma fans would say juve paid soccerage for that.....:D

I couldn't believe when i read this on channel4:

Stephen Appiah (Juventus)
He didn’t play badly against Milan but that was the kind of game where the dynamism of Edgar Davids may have been more suited. Appiah did his job but the Dutchman, left on the bench, could have offered more.

:confused::confused:

Are they nuts? What game where they watching? Appiah was one of the best on the field.
Davids may have been more suited??? He would have lasted maybe 30 sec. before getting a red.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++

:D:LOL:

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by DAVIDZ ] ++

Are they nuts? What game where they watching? Appiah was one of the best on the field.
Davids may have been more suited??? He would have lasted maybe 30 sec. before getting a red.
Hei, be more realistic. Davids is a very good player.
Why don't we change Tachinardi position into Davids. Davids and Aphiah in mid field. It's a nice duo.

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
++ [ originally posted by d.nico ] ++

Hei, be more realistic. Davids is a very good player.
Why don't we change Tachinardi position into Davids. Davids and Aphiah in mid field. It's a nice duo.
I'm being very realistic. Davids is an excellent player but in that atmosphere he would have definitely got a red card!!:fero:

As far as putting him in Tacchi's position, Davids is too offensive minded to play as a holding midfielder. Maybe Appiah can play in Tacchi's and Davids at his usual left midfield.

Aug 1, 2003
yes davids might get the red card, but IMO, i would prefer seeing davids against milan than appiah. not that appiah didn't do well, he did REALLY well in fact, just, he's not the pitbull, u know?

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Im lately prefering more appiah than davids.

He is very talented and do great passes. Davids is too agressive IMO... in the negative way.

I would prefer an appiah-davids than an appiah-tach, because im liking how tach is playing lately.

IOM.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
Im lately prefering more appiah than davids.

He is very talented and do great passes. Davids is too agressive IMO... in the negative way.

I would prefer an appiah-davids than an appiah-tach, because im liking how tach is playing lately.

IOM.

so you prefer the worse partnership? :confused:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
NO but i was talking about the milan match in the negative way.... like someone said.. he would have been send out in the first half.

But when he is not doing fouls like crazy.. i like him more than tach.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
What do you mean, better than the first time he played? He showed he was an awesome player at Parma, he just needed a season to settle in here :thumb:

Aug 1, 2003
i dont know why ppl think he did badly last season but i think he did very well too, he did score goals but the main prob was when alex returned he was invisible !!

would lippi do this to him again ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)