Del Piero: a hero or a choker? (2 Viewers)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
After reading the whole 6 pages I fail to understand why this arguement is raging on & on.
Zlatan says DP is a choker, most of you agree. Period. I just think this thread is worn out.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
After reading the whole 6 pages I fail to understand why this arguement is raging on & on.
Zlatan says DP is a choker, most of you agree. Period. I just think this thread is worn out.
Indeed... but then again, that's what happens when you start an argument for argument's sake...

the conclusion is, DP has his heroic moments and has done some great things, but tends to choke in the vital moments

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
Penalties have nothing to do with luck, its all about the way you take them.
don't get carried away Dude, Penalties is 50% luck and 50% Skill. you can take one in away inwhich no Goal on earth can stop it, but what if the ball hits the post or the bar. hope you get my point.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++

don't get carried away Dude, Penalties is 50% luck and 50% Skill. you can take one in away inwhich no Goal on earth can stop it, but what if the ball hits the post or the bar. hope you get my point.
I guess so, but how much more often does the keeper get lucky and save it... out of 10 penalties, i'd say

6 get scored, 2 saved and 1 misses (hits bar/post/thin air)

i guess that's just on average from what i've seen...

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #106
    Its 90% skill 10% luck. Thats all I'm giving you :stuckup:

No goalie can stop a perfectly executed penalty, and if its perfect it wont hit the bar nor the post :p ;)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Its 90% skill 10% luck. Thats all I'm giving you :stuckup:

No goalie can stop a perfectly executed penalty, and if its perfect it wont hit the bar nor the post :p ;)
    You Idiot Stubborn :stuckup:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #111
    I dont :frown:

You could cause me to have serious psychological problems when i grow up :frown:

[/JOKING]

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Aragorn ] ++
    It's The same for the keeper too 50% anticipation and skill and 50% Luck.
    when it comes to penalties, i think anticipation and luck are the same thing

no (human) goalkeeper could possibly have time to make the calculations and judgements based on the way a player is moving / where his eyes are looking... it's mostly gut feeling... which is also luck :D

the only time skill comes into penalties is when it's hit perfectly into the corner, out of reach... but then again...you could call that luck too :cool:

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #113
    Anticipation is more than luck. I watched this TV show about a University in Liverpool that tried to figure out a "calculation" or smth like that to where the penalty taker would shoot. They found out you can see how he's gonna shoot by the way his standing foot is positioned before he shoots. It the toes are angeled to the left, he's gonna shoot left, and if thea're pointing to the right he's gonna shoot right. And it is true most of the time. If a player tried to point his toes to the left side of the goal and to shoot right, he'd probably injure his knee severely.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Anticipation is more than luck. I watched this TV show about a University in Liverpool that tried to figure out a "calculation" or smth like that to where the penalty taker would shoot. They found out you can see how he's gonna shoot by the way his standing foot is positioned before he shoots. It the toes are angeled to the left, he's gonna shoot left, and if thea're pointing to the right he's gonna shoot right. And it is true most of the time. If a player tried to point his toes to the left side of the goal and to shoot right, he'd probably i jure his knee severely.
    Like a keeper's gonna have time to think about all this ;)

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #115
    Well if they did think about it they'd have a much better chance of saving the penalty.

Jul 12, 2002
    Anticipation is more than luck. I watched this TV show about a University in Liverpool that tried to figure out a "calculation" or smth like that to where the penalty taker would shoot. They found out you can see how he's gonna shoot by the way his standing foot is positioned before he shoots. It the toes are angeled to the left, he's gonna shoot left, and if thea're pointing to the right he's gonna shoot right. And it is true most of the time. If a player tried to point his toes to the left side of the goal and to shoot right, he'd probably injure his knee severely.
    That's pure BS. If you want to stop a penaalty, you have to be moving before he even strikes the ball, you would not have time to look how his toes are. Furthermore, it is very easy to point your toe left and shoot right, you just use the outside of your foot. There is no way to tell, with professional football player, which way they are going. Even if you could, you could never tell if they are going ot hit it hard or soft, high or low, short or wide. Their are too many variables.

Stopping penalties for a keeper has to do with three things:

1. Reaction speed-some extremely gifted individuals can actually just react quickly enough to stop most penalties, but most professional keepers can't do it
    2. Reach-to reach the shots which are in the upper 90, or hit side netting, you have to have long arms, that is one reason why Brad Friedel is so good at penalties.
    3. Psycology-to psych out the striker is to defeat him before he shoots.

It has nothing to do with luck, but is much more complicated then which way his toes point.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #118
    I didnt say they ould stop every shot, but the fact is they'd have a much better chance, considering most players these days shoot the penaltys low and soft (Figo, Rivaldo, Del Piero...), and considering they shoot soft you would have time to see which side they will shoot :stuckup:

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
    O.K., everyone wants to call DP a "choker" (Alright, not everyone, but most of you )

I guess we can also call Vieri a choker after he missed the give-me goal against S.Korea, which would have won us the game, not to mention Inter's loss to Lazio in the final game of 2 season's ago when Vieri was not up to par

I also guess Roby would fit into this catagory (we all know why !!)

NO ONE IS PERFECT !!! I can look at all my hero's and find some fault in some game that they played

Vieri, Baggio, and DP are STILL CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I couldn't agree more and the bigger the game the more the nerves that overcome the player. Why can't we be appreciative of what some players have done for the team and stop knocking them for cynical reasons like they have taken the place of their heroes and trivialties like that

Also i think it was the G-O-A-T who claimed that Dp choked whilst taking a penalty against Deportive and missed but forgot to mention that the same pl;ayer opted to take a penalty against Inter at the San Siro in the 89th minute or so and scored

I wouldnt exactlly call Baggio a choker for missing THAT penalty asit took courage to take it in the first place and frankly I find it annoying that ppl give him stick for missing the penalty as if Italy deserved to be in the final in the first place, if it was not for his goals , they would never have reached there

While in other countries they tend to over praise their heroes in Italy it seems to be hip to criticise the heroes becasue for some reason these heroes are not meant to be human, they are not allowed to suffer nerves and should be perfect in every possible way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)