Dear Mr Ranieri (3 Viewers)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I never said he will be the better than Zambo, he has a lot of experience to learn, and he is talented, only time will tell. Since he is better at his age than Zambo was, so he has the chance. Thats was said to the claims that he can't be like Zambo, only time will tell.
Yeah I know what u meant.

But Im simply asking ur opinion about Chiellini's position and his physical trade.

I think big guys at wingback position's will get dusted everytime by pacey wingers. We've seen this with Zebina, although he is quite athletic for his height.

Chiellini IMO, isn't much different, he lacks the agility to cover IMO. We've all seen Zambo's quick reflex and tackles, the guy was very agile and quick. I don't see Cheillin ever having that kind of trait.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Zambrotta in Bari played as an attacking winger often acting as a central midfielder too. Different player but at 23 he was far better than today's Chiellini..

Sissoko, Mavouba, Milito...k

Juve's mercato strategy is suffering from a post-Triad syndrome. Wake up : it's a different era and (thank God) different men now, so you can't function like you did before. You have quite a bit of catching-up to do on Milan and Inter. Trying to emulate them would be quite "un-Juve" not to mention counterproductive, as I feel it will only bring you Stefan Reuters, Julio Cesar's and the occasional wet rabbit a la Roby Baggio, translating into a long streak of 4th spots like in the late 80's/early 90's. Too bad Deschamps left : he looked capable of building something new, while Ranieri sort of reminds me the post-Inter Trap already. Get rid of spoilt brats like Trezeguet, spend money on one big name (preferably in defence) and turn your non participation to the CL to your advantage by investing on Marchisio, Nocerino, Palladino and compagnia bella. Or do something else, but surprise me.
thats the fear of most ppl in here sadly.

about the discussion regarding Cheillini, i always thought he would do better in CB just looking at his physique. This season he played well in that position but he still looks to clumsy for it. That could improve with experience but imo its too much of a risk thats why i would stick with him in LB.
In LB his speed and stamina would serve him better he will just need to improve his crosses, especially since we are playing in italy where the burden is more placed on the midfielders to provide the quality.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Zambrotta in Bari played as an attacking winger often acting as a central midfielder too. Different player but at 23 he was far better than today's Chiellini..
Hey thanks, I forgot...at 23 Zambo was already playing for Bari and was a season away from the Juve transfer. I somehow was thinking Zambo was still at Camo at that age. At 24 he was at Juve and was performing.

@snoop, now that franco reminded me, i remember Zambo was better than Chiellini, at their respective positions at that age.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I think a lot revisionist history is going on here, so I will clear things out.

Zambrotta was never sure thing, a can't miss prospect. He had share of his detractors with rumors constantly flying about sharing that he would be traded for Giannichedda and Ambrosini. People questioned his penetration down the midfield, and they thought he was only good as wingback in 5man midfield. So the same criticism a lot of people direct at Chiellini as a fullback was also applied to Zambrotta as a winger. Gianluca only became LB not because Lippi intentionally made so, but because there was sever injury crisis in the fullback department as (1) Moretti looked out of sorts, (2) Pessetto was injured. But as they say sometimes luck is the best inventor there is. I like Chiellini. I can't believe all this negative feedback on him. He is a captain of Italian U-21. And many Italian players played Azzurri until they age forbid them to do so. Pirlo, Rino, Iaqunita, Quagliarella, are just a few that I could name right out of my head. Totti didnt get his serious chance until he was like 22. I mean Totti! Out of all those years, only Buffon and Del Piero have been taken to major championship straight away.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I think a lot revisionist history is going on here, so I will clear things out.

Zambrotta was never sure thing, a can't miss prospect. He had share of his detractors with rumors constantly flying about sharing that he would be traded for Giannichedda and Ambrosini. People questioned his penetration down the midfield, and they thought he was only good as wingback in 5man midfield. So the same criticism a lot of people direct at Chiellini as a fullback was also applied to Zambrotta as a winger. Gianluca only became LB not because Lippi intentionally made so, but because there was sever injury crisis in the fullback department as (1) Moretti looked out of sorts, (2) Pessetto was injured.
No no, he was never considered a full back...he had great potential and was a full attacking winger, even played as forward in some games for Bari.

And he never did have penetration towrds the middle because he was an all out winger, who used his pace and dribble to get around defences.

He was one of Juve's most leathal weapon when he came here. I remember my friends who were Milanista saying how much their team had to hold off Zambrotta to win games.

His move to left back was really iniciated by injury troubles.

We are comparing Zambrotta and Chiellini at Chiellini's age and in their respective positions at the time. Not as LB, where Zambo didn't at the time.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
No no, he was never considered a full back...he had great potential and was a full attacking winger, even played as forward in some games for Bari.

And he never did have penetration towrds the middle because he was an all out winger, who used his pace and dribble to get around defences.

He was one of Juve's most leathal weapon when he came here. I remember my friends who were Milanista saying how much their team had to hold off Zambrotta to win games.

His move to left back was really iniciated by injury troubles.

We are comparing Zambrotta and Chiellini at Chiellini's age and in their respective positions at the time. Not as LB, where Zambo didn't at the time.
I don't know Vonam. I was ment to say FROM midfield. But I had a tough day, so give me a break! ;)

When Zambrotta first came here, he didnt start off immediately. Zambrotta had to wait a bit, and if my memory serves me correct, his debut start was against Parma, which was just before, or after new year. He played one heck of match, and Ancelotti had to keep him in the side next game as a leftsided midfield against Lecce (I think), in which he scored a great volley. And Gianluca's place in the team was never really that secured until he made a trasformation as a leftback, otherwise, you don't see reports suggesting your team is going to trade you with likes of Giannichedda or Ambrosini. This is not to suggest Zambrotta was not any good, because I have always liked him. But at the same, he wasn't always convincing for a player of his stature (at present) unlike his fellow NT teammates who become more or less the fulcrum at an earlier age. But that is the point I want to get to. 23 is still young for a player, especially defensive one. And I really don't understand people's fascination of being better when 19, 20, 21 or even 22. For that measure, Zizou probably isnt fit into to clean Alex's shoe never mind playing on the same pitch.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah I know what u meant.

But Im simply asking ur opinion about Chiellini's position and his physical trade.

I think big guys at wingback position's will get dusted everytime by pacey wingers. We've seen this with Zebina, although he is quite athletic for his height.

Chiellini IMO, isn't much different, he lacks the agility to cover IMO. We've all seen Zambo's quick reflex and tackles, the guy was very agile and quick. I don't see Cheillin ever having that kind of trait.
Zambo is great offensively and defensively, while Chiellini is only good offensively, because he has problems with tackling. If he do those tackles as a center defender, we will give the opponents an avarage of 1.5 penalty per match or more. he is young, he is improving he was better than the time he started his first games with Juve. He is improving that's why it is a good sign.

@snoop, now that franco reminded me, i remember Zambo was better than Chiellini, at their respective positions at that age.
Franco is not a fact book. It is his opinion, Zambrotta was a naverage midfielder at the time he was at Bari. If we didn't sign him, and stayed a midfielder, he probably wouldn't made it this far, and wouldn't even made a debut for the Azzurri..

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Zambo is great offensively and defensively, while Chiellini is only good offensively, because he has problems with tackling. If he do those tackles as a center defender, we will give the opponents an avarage of 1.5 penalty per match or more. he is young, he is improving he was better than the time he started his first games with Juve. He is improving that's why it is a good sign.
This I agree, thats why I said Im not so sure he'll be as great as a Zambo at LB. His tackles aren't good because I think he isn't quick enough, thus the mistimed tackles. When ur a centerback, u have more time to react and better positioning defensively to recover. You only need to read the game better than at wingback position.

Franco is not a fact book. It is his opinion, Zambrotta was a naverage midfielder at the time he was at Bari. If we didn't sign him, and stayed a midfielder, he probably wouldn't made it this far, and wouldn't even made a debut for the Azzurri..
I know Franco is not a fact book, I said he made me remember, when i replied to you erlier I didn't really remember (long day:smoke: )
But If Im not mistaken we bought Zambrotta at a not so cheap price, more than 10mil euros. And you don't spend that money on Average players.

I remember he was very explosive during his last season at Bari. And I remember that Zambo was actually a hit with us on the right wing, he started almost all of his game at Juve. Which was the season following Henry's departure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)